detecting today was berry berry good to me!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my brother and i got out for the first time together this season. we went first to an old park in our town which is really nothing more than a patch of woods in the city. we saw two homeless guys tents in the woods! :o good thing there was nobody home! ;D all i found there was a few old shotgun brasses, and the last target i dug sounded great but was one of those signals that vanishes like a fart in the wind! i couldnt figure out what had happened to it. so anyway, we left the park, and went to the old hunted out school so my brother could at least find some clad to keep him happy.i have hunted this school dozens of times and it usually produces something. today was no exception. i wound up with two wheats 1936 and 1938. i also got the first merc of the year a 1936S. as we were leaving, i looked in the back of my brothers truck, where i had laid my trowel on the way over to the school. there i saw a dirty coin laying right where my trowel was. i thought, " i must have dropped a crappy old zinc cent in the back of the truck somehow" and picked it up. when i did i realised that this wasnt a clad coin! the glint of silver was peeking through the dried dirt. as i washed it off i almost passed out! it was an 1876 seated dime!! :o that last target in the woods that vanished must have been this dime that was stuck in the dirt caked on the back of my lesche trowel! i still cant believe it! a seated dime was one of the coins on my "still to find" list! needless to say im a happy camper this afternoon!... heres the pics of the seated and the merc.

Attachments

• 03-25-2007 01;40;02PM.jpg
    03-25-2007 01;40;02PM.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 844
  • 03-25-2007 01;42;32PM.jpg
    03-25-2007 01;42;32PM.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 847
  • 03-25-2007 01;46;06PM.jpg
    03-25-2007 01;46;06PM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 850
Upvote 0
Congrats, Keith, even if you didn't know it when you found it. Super find.
Bob

A great find. :o I am still looking for my first seated dime.
Congrats on a good hunt.

Hollow,
I've always said there's nothing like a dirty lush. Oh wait, you said LESCHE. Sorry.
What a great story with a VERY happy ending.
Congrats,
MM

Nice find and a nice story. Reminds me of the time I gunned my boat out of a cove only to realize the anchor was still down, well I stoped and pulled the anchor up from the bottom of the cove and there was a blob of mud stuck to the top of it - found a pocket knife in that blob of mud! if you don't believe that, I'll tell you about the fence post hole I was digging and pulled op a gold wedding ring from two feet deep! - True stories!! Lol! :o

Very, very, nice indeed!

You were really double lucky today. First you were lucky to get the signal and dig it and second you were extreamly lucky the seated didn't fall off your digger, only to be lost again.

The MD gods were looking down on you, congratulations!

Johnny

Congrats!! With luck like that I'dve play the numbers,haha.WTG!!

What a stinker! :D

RED! WoW! What a story! Congrats on those finds!

Nana :)

thanks for the nice replies everyone! i usually dont have luck like this so i was ( and still am ) shocked! looks like i need to concentrate on these woods a little bit more. i dont want to give too much away about the site but it has a history that goes back to the 1880s 1890s at least, if not more. the woods are fairly large, and a lot of it is super trashy, but im willing to bet there is still some more goodies out there. ill have to keep it on my list of spots to return to. thanks again!

Hollow that's funny in a way...Huntin this weekend I got a dime signal,dug up a piece of old brick,threw it across the road and went back to the hole....no signal....Excellent find!!

Wow!!! Exciting story and very believable. I had the same thing happen to me on occasion with the mystery signal. Then it dissappears like a UFO, in this case it would be a UBO...
(Unidentified Buried Object). Wasn't as lucky as you. I never did find what what was setting off my detector.

That's a story you can tell over and over and over to your children and there children.
;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back