Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep so people go out and get one. Then this fancy thinking machine tells you there is a half dollar four inches down and you end up digging a soda can. Then they join a forum and ask what is wrong with their new toy. A guy like me will tell them they call me a name or two and the mods yell at me to leave them alone. A year later their tector is In a closet with a half inch of dust on it.

In my own personal experience, learning that the VDI is not god and that you will dig junk, lots of junk, was the hardest lesson to learn. Once I learned that I became even more excited about MDing. When I go out I know I may dig all junk or I may dig all keepers...but no matter what I always know that when I turn my detector on, I have the potential to find silver or gold. Usually if nothing else I add to my clad collection...and that gets turned into nice Silver Franklin Halves at the end of the year.

OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I dig everything.. I got a scrap pile going and when I get a pickup truck bed full, it's off to the recyclers.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't watch too much TV but have seen some ads for White's. I'd just as soon as not see them, but I suppose they need to up sales somehow. Could result in cheaper priced hardly used detectors on the markets. Ads did not get me interested in detectors. I had treasure hunters in the family who couldn't afford electronic detectors and I wanted to take it to the next level.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep so people go out and get one. Then this fancy thinking machine tells you there is a half dollar four inches down and you end up digging a soda can. Then they join a forum and ask what is wrong with their new toy. A guy like me will tell them they call me a name or two and the mods yell at me to leave them alone. A year later their tector is In a closet with a half inch of dust on it.

Hopefully, they will buy a real good one too and sell it to me cheap!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen only Whites ads, and that a long time ago. As I recollect at the time they were selling the idea of getting out and getting exercise to stay healthy. They showed the guy happily swinging, but not struggling to get up after getting down. I wasn't offended by the ad, although my X wife didn't buy the idea I needed a new detector at the time. PS I got two new detectors when she got the ranch, but I got the best deal.

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect there are two main reasons why we don't see more advertising on TV. First, the metal detector manufacturers are only going to buy time on programming that attracts the sort of person who is likely to buy a detector. I think they call it "targeted marketing". That's a pretty small number of TV programs. The other reason is tied to the first. Airtime is very expensive. Advertising has to generate enough sales to offset the cost and increase profits. That's hard to do with a limited market. It's sort of a "Catch 22".

Storm

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen Ad's for Whites & Minelab & Fisher & Tesoro.... And even a few for Garrett.............. Most of the ad's i have seen have been on Tom Massies show .....Gold Fever... I see that right now Minelab is the one advertising on the show Gold Fever....... But on some of the older shows i have seen Tesoro & Fisher & Garrett...... But most of the other detectors i saw on the show was when Tom's dad ..George "buzzard " Massie had the show......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wily Dunk

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, got up early this morning (before sunrise) turned on the tv, it was on the Discovery channel and finally saw an ad for White's. It showed some old guy on a beach telling how he's found enough gold and silver items to pay for a vacation to Europe and to buy his wife a detector so she can hunt with him... I can't wait to go to a beach and hunt and find huge gold crosses and other items so my wife and I can go on a vacation to Europe. I'll probably have to hire a couple of people to help me tote my findings to the truck, all those large gold chains and pendants are heavy..... :laughing9:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Wily Dunk said:
Well, got up early this morning (before sunrise) turned on the tv, it was on the Discovery channel and finally saw an ad for White's. It showed some old guy on a beach telling how he's found enough gold and silver items to pay for a vacation to Europe and to buy his wife a detector so she can hunt with him... I can't wait to go to a beach and hunt and find huge gold crosses and other items so my wife and I can go on a vacation to Europe. I'll probably have to hire a couple of people to help me tote my findings to the truck, all those large gold chains and pendants are heavy..... :laughing9:

You have to get a wheel barrow and modify it with a big balloon tire for going over the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread