Detector deals are out there,pawn shop find

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a few months ago about My Deleon I found at a local garage sale for 100.00 bucks. My ladyfriend and I visited the local pawn shop yesterday,and she grabbed it and ran over to find me. Holding an a+ condition at pro, she asked me if 399.00 was a good price for this machine. I said it is a great price . I told her since I upgraded my detector,she should also,as shes been using an Ace 150 for 2 years. We stood in line to checkout and we were next. I hate to say this ,but the Dutchman came out in me ,and noticed the battery cover on upside down. After repeated attempt to get the cover off by manager and myself, I told them I would take a chance at 300.00. they bit..:) took it home ,took two screws out that hold unit to handle, gave the cover a spin and batt. cover came off. Put it on correctly and assembled. unit also came with the garrett headphones and had two battery holders cellophaned to the handle,complete with two sets of rechargeable duracells (8) Happy,happy,happy) I dont feel bad getting one over on the pawn shop,they probably only paid 100.00 for it.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the same, great score! !

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
pawn shops are vampires --at minimum they ask for at least double what they paid for anything they buy when they price it to sell . ==trust me the pawn broker didn't "lose" any money on the deal.==still not a bad deal at all for you -- times get tough , bills gotta be paid , kids gotta eat and a mans "toys" are often the first thing to "go".

Last edited:

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How come I never find anything good at pawn shops? Congrads! If you run acrossed another one, let me know!!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come I never find anything good at pawn shops? Congrads! If you run acrossed another one, let me know!!

How bout it, I woulda went in there and it woulda been 500 lol

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
That was an awesome deal. Had 5 days off this week and it's been raining hard here for 3 with more forecasted. I may have to get out today and do some detecting at the local pawn shops just to get out of the house. Congrats to your lady on it. Can't wait to read about her next find.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to help a friend in his pawn shop and in most cases they payed between 20% for pawned to 40% for bought items.

And there are two types of pawn shops.
One type wants almost new price for everything.

The other type will get stuff cheap(20%) and double there price(to around 40% of new value.
This type pawn shop has a good turn over of products and in most cases make more money then the first type because of there good deals and fast turnover.

Don't be afraid of dickering with pawn shops and trying for a better deal then there listed price. Always check the battery area for corrosion as this is a good way to start taking down the price if there is.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a AT pro at a pawn shop that was missing a coil and I think the armcuff had a crack on it.They were asking $350,I passed on it.:dontknow:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my explorer for $400. I got an ace 250 for $90, and a cutlass umax for $100 all work like new. Ilove shopping at pawn shops, don't ever pay what there asking. I always offer a lowball price and they get on there computer to see what they paid and almost always take my offer.

mydogiscool

Jun 2, 2013
Ivan if your not at least doubling your money your probably not going to be in business very long.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best pawn shops I knew to check out were all the ones around the Wichita Mountains in SW Oklahoma. Couple of military bases down there and a lot of new recruits heard the tales of buried treasure and bought detectors. As we all know there is absolutely nothin down there in the way of outlaw loot, lost mines, silver, gold, tungsten, chrome, platinum, iron doors on caves etc., so to the pawn shop they went. I can not say how it is now, but 20 years ago the pawn shops down there were metal detector poor, they had so many. You needed to have a little knowledge of the machine, but you could get some good deals if they knew you weren't a young military recruit.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! My dad has lucked out a few times buying bicycles from pawn shops. We have a jamis and an oryx bike that each are done out to the max which he scooped out of pawn shops for steal prices ($400 and $300) and worth worth way more than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread