Detector for my wife...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has recently began to show enough interest in the hobby to have her own machine....She has used my AT Pro some but didnt like it. She loves my sons compadre w/5.75 coil and has done well with it. She likes the simpliciity and lack of bells and whistles. So i was considering the Silver Umax for her. Although she prefers to hunt parks an home sites; how will this machine do if she were to tag along on a civil war relic hunt in a cut corn field or pasture? Is the cibola a better choice? She dooesnt want manual GB. Any opinions are appreciated!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same boat a few months back, I went with the Cibola and she loves it!!! I think women are listeners and that they prefer Tesoro's because of the " Tesoro language ", theres a lot going on in that audio feed coming from the headphones . I think its easier for them to understand the sound rather than a bunch of numbers jumping around on a screen. Of course you could get her a new Tejon! And if she doesn't like it then Im sure you could find some way to put it to good use.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is true...but i think im going to get me a Vaquero for my next machine.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey maybe thats why she likes the Cibola , they sound like sick ducks having their necks ringed when you put them into pinpoint mode! They should have named the Vaquero the Quackero! Its all good though!!!!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the Silver for the wife. This thing has no problem finding deep lead, copper, and larger metal. I dug a toy metal beach shovel at 11" in my front yard. Pop and beer cans just as deep. If you go with a Compadre get her the 8" coil for a bit more depth and coverage. Nothing wrong with the Cibola, but the threshold might be one control to confuse her. Supertuned though, the Cibola is supposed to be a deep one, but the Silver is plenty deep.

I have never use a Vaq, but I can tell you my new Tejon is DEEP! If I lived in a good relic area, it would be killer. Even though it has a higher frequency it is a coin finding machine, and deep coins are no problem. You don't realize just how deep a 8-9" coin is until you start digging them.

Either way, any Tesoro is a good choice.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rainy.....I was hoping someone with some experience with the silver would chime in. And you saiid what i was hoping to hear: that the the silver has good depth. I know she wiil love this machine. I dont expect it to find minnieballs at 12 inches or anything....just be good enough to find the shallow to mid depth bulllets, etc.... Thanks again!

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, does anyone know how the silver would do with the big DD coil like comes with the outlaw?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
she will like the big 10 x 12 on the cibola. We have a Silver , it is great but it is an older generation machine. A lot of civil war diggers around here use the cibola. It is real hot and easy to use.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
get the cibola with a 5.75 coil. She will love it

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i bought her a new Silver Umax today....it will be here Friday. It will be a 12th Anniversary present. Hope she doesnt see this post....lol. Anyway, after reading many posts and reviews like Rainday's post above...this just seems to be the perfect fit for her. In time, we will add the larger coil, then maybe step up to a more complex machine......Thanks everyone.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Anniversary! And congrats on 12 years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread