All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
Gilbert,
Everybody is going to tell you "don't even try the ground is to hot" well I say try, why not.

do this little test, take some fishing weights like split shot from the smallest to about 2 grams
go to where you think there might be gold, make some holes with a screw driver from 1", 2", 3" to 6"
space apart at least a foot or more put the lead in the holes cover with dirt.
start out in all metal and try diff. settings if it has other settings?

Good Luck
and HH
Joe
PS The main thing have fun...

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
And after you do that go buy a gold detector so you can retrieve the lead.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
enamel7 said:
Hi all!
I just picked up a brand new White's Prizm IV for a good price and was wondering if anyone has had any experience using this to find gold. My guess is probably not, but was just wondering.

Gilbert

You might want to check out the article in the WE&T here: http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/feature/200409.htm
It should work for gold, since it does find gold rings, but how well, is another question.

F.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi daleshark,

Good stock answer you have going there.

Hi enamel7,

Gold coins? Gold nuggets? Gold Chains? Gold rings? Yes, the Prizm IV can find gold, as can any detector. Make it big enough and shallow enough and if you get over it you will find it.

That said, gold is my game. No, I'd not buy a Prizm to look for gold. Not a great choice. But if that was what I owned, I would use it. Why not - I might just score. Just get out and hunt your guts out and you can find gold.

Not what I would choose, but if all I had was a Prizm I'd be showing some gold finds. You have to work hard and put in long hard hours - and you will find gold with it. But if you want better odds, look for a detector running at 12 kHz or more.

Steve Herschbach

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Sure, theoretically you can find larger nuggets in mild ground with a prizm, twenty five years ago all we had for nugget hunting were coin detectors and I found lots of nuggets with them, but things have changed. Most of the gold fields have been hit pretty hard since then. Nugget hunting is hard enough with a dedicated gold detector. Unless you have the means to move a lots dirt and rocks most of the nuggets are very small and or deep, and hard to detect even with a gold detector. Hunting nuggets with a Prizm is like hunting silver coins in a well hunted park with a BFO, its not impossible, but the odds are not in your favor. I know a lot of hunters who have the best detectors money can buy and find very little gold. Don't want to discourage you, just tell you how it is.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i even found some with an ace 250 ;D so why not?you have to use what you've got-sure i wish i had a mine lab but thats not an option right now.the main thing is get to know what your detector is trying to tell you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions