• HPIM0922 (2) detroit jar.jpg
    HPIM0922 (2) detroit jar.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 241

Great Lakes

Greenie
Apr 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Tesoro Bandido II Umax and Tejon
I have a book of Fruit Jar values from 1999, That says The Vacuum Seal... Handmade, clear, quart, tapered neck, paper disc. $80-$100. Jars are usually valued by size, color, condition, scarcity of course, the unusual and unique closures with original lids tend to bring more.

Nice ground score.
Brett

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks for the info. and comments. I just did a google patent search and the patent for this jar is on there. I wondered what the closure looked like, but found out you used paper board and melted wax to seal the jar. The guy who has the patent is William W. Vaughan and when i put his name in google books it shows he owned a pickling and perserve company. I wish I would of thought about doing a patent search before I posted. Thanks again.

Wolverine.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice jar find it always neat to find something old when you are out detecting....Matt

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks Matt, Fistfulladirt and Shermanville. I've been bottle hunting for the since 81 when I found a bottle dump on the farm and found a Dr. Koch's and remedies and flavoring extracts bottle. I now have over 600 blown in mold bottles in my collection. This jar is one of the few that has come out the ground looking this good.
Matt metal detecting and bottle hunting can go hand and hand, because I have found a couple of glass oil lamp fonts (tanks) and while metal detecting found a wick adjuster and the brass attachment that go's on the font an screws into the wick adjuster. The hard part is finding a compleat shade, because they were commonly broke while removing them to light the lamp. Thanks for the comments.

Wolverine.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool fruit jar :thumbsup: I always dig a lot of them fruit jar lids in hopes that they will be a complete fruit jar but the only cache that I've found was a ball half gallon fruit jar with dried up contents I suspect was sauerkraut. I guess from what I've read people use to bury sauerkraut cause it would work fast being buried.

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks Giant056. When I was kid back in the 70's my grandmother made her own sauerkraut. She had a 5 gallon crock and kept a big rock in the house that she put on top of the cabbage in the crock to hold it under the water while it fermented.

Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread