Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light weight, bluetooth coil, headphones, pinpointer designed to work with each other, no cord and has batteries that last three solid days using the same charger and fits in my motorcycle trunk or side cases. First detector I've had without a squeaky shaft. I look at it not as the best detector but convenient, although it just happens to be a great detector also. Worth it to me.

Last edited:

MDnorthernWI

Greenie
Jan 7, 2022
well before you do - do your research.
Metal detector XP Deus review

This machine sounds like it's for professionals. Professional - someone who makes a living with a MD. But remember people will chum the water with all kinds of great finds like gold coins to sell machines. The fact is - not many people find gold coins. Try to find honest field tests on machines. If you have this kind of money and think it's the best by all means buy one. As FreeBirdTim points out, it may be hard for the average person to justify this kind of outlay. HH!
My opinion is this. Look at how much people spend on fishing, 4 wheeling, snowmobiles, and many other hobbies. $1600 is a bargain for a tool to enjoy the outdoors. Just my thoughts😄

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only takes 1 find sometimes. Right place right time.
Ask your girlfriend how long it will take for her to pay off the jewelry you you BOUGHT FOR HER LOL

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My opinion is this. Look at how much people spend on fishing, 4 wheeling, snowmobiles, and many other hobbies. $1600 is a bargain for a tool to enjoy the outdoors. Just my thoughts😄
The priorities of all are different and that's ok.
Some look at just $$$ and the return of the $$$ the machine can generate.

Over the years I have met my share of folks the sit around their home bundles up in winter wear gripping about how uncomfortable it's in the home, and the lack of food-but the pack of cigs at $15-22 a pack might be the reason.
I don't worry about it a whole lot either.
The thing is if the machine at the end of the arm is producing the finds and it makes them smile-great.
Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Though as others have said about getting caught up in the hype of the newest widget. I only have to look at the list of machines folks post, and think either they fall into the thinking that the "New" machine will generate lots of keepers.
Repeated over and over, till the stable is full.
Or on the other hand they are so tech savvy that they know each has it's special place for a certain type of detecting they do.
Now that makes me a tad green their ability to understand the operation capabilities so quick.

They old hands (just a term) have a machine that can retrieve a target of let's say 12" for a large cent.
Do they need another machine? :dontknow:
But after 1000's of hours on that machine the only surprise is when they get an unexpected keeper, as they suspected it was the large cent-but it was a real crisp one.
So are the folks that change the phone every time a new model comes out just have to have-or is there a function that will enhance their lives? Personally the need to upgrade a phone is a questionable one at best. (Not what Apple thinks)
After 3-5 yrs a desktop is classified as "Vintage" wow mine is 9yrs old. Worth lots as an operating antique. :laughing7:

Thinking back at the machines that I have used-the machine that replaced the best machines (at the time) some I remember fondly, but the technology today, and the price point of days machines make the one old one seem very expensive.
First good machine in the family was the Whites GoldMaster setting were metal/mineral. Learnt that if we set the machine on mineral and it nulled out-it was metal. The amount of digging was crazy, the depth was amazing, but so was the energy of being young. Example the machine had a hard time picking up a target in dry sand at 2". It sucked. That machine in the late 60"s was $150 and the good 30-06 hunting rifle. (wages were $2.56 a hour)
Then the discrimination model came out, Coinmaster series, Etc.... The price paid for each of these upper end machines were a pricey investment at the time.
So lets take the newest machine at a base price of $1600-is it a ok or expensive price?
It depends on the individual and what one can put in the pouch at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well put pepperJ

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My choice to not buy the Deus 2 has very little to do with cost. I detect for fun -- my equipment doesn't have to pay for itself, I don't plan on making money detecting, and don't sell anything I find.

A large part of that fun for me is the technology. I enjoy being able to make adjustments as I go. Part of the thrill of the hunt is using my brain to work at getting the most out the machine with the obvious reward coming when I find something on ground I've detected on for decades. I understand many probably just want to turn on a detector and go, but that's not me. It needs to be self-challenging to be fun.

I almost never detect on the beach and never in the water, so the waterproof feature of the Deus 2 has almost no appeal. I have a multi-frequency detector and although I do use the MF settings occasionally, I usually use single frequencies. So the MF of the Deus 2 has no more appeal than the waterproof feature.

But I would purchase one if I can be convinced it outperforms the original Deus. I've seen many reviews and most of them claim to prove the new Deus is superior. Some make interesting points but none have proven it can find more than the original. Even the very few that actually show them in side-by-side comparisons out in the field don't do a great job. They speak more in platitudes about it being better without much real evidence.

And I have no interest at all in comparisons on test beds. For me to be convinced I'd need to see serious side-by-side comparisons in real-world settings. Someone detecting in a field with one version, then going over the same target with the other, then digging the target to show what was detected, and doing this on a day's worth of targets. That's the only way to know if the Deus 2 is truly better. Until I see that proof I'm fine sticking with my original Deus.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choice to not buy the Deus 2 has very little to do with cost. I detect for fun -- my equipment doesn't have to pay for itself, I don't plan on making money detecting, and don't sell anything I find.

A large part of that fun for me is the technology. I enjoy being able to make adjustments as I go. Part of the thrill of the hunt is using my brain to work at getting the most out the machine with the obvious reward coming when I find something on ground I've detected on for decades. I understand many probably just want to turn on a detector and go, but that's not me. It needs to be self-challenging to be fun.

I almost never detect on the beach and never in the water, so the waterproof feature of the Deus 2 has almost no appeal. I have a multi-frequency detector and although I do use the MF settings occasionally, I usually use single frequencies. So the MF of the Deus 2 has no more appeal than the waterproof feature.

But I would purchase one if I can be convinced it outperforms the original Deus. I've seen many reviews and most of them claim to prove the new Deus is superior. Some make interesting points but none have proven it can find more than the original. Even the very few that actually show them in side-by-side comparisons out in the field don't do a great job. They speak more in platitudes about it being better without much real evidence.

And I have no interest at all in comparisons on test beds. For me to be convinced I'd need to see serious side-by-side comparisons in real-world settings. Someone detecting in a field with one version, then going over the same target with the other, then digging the target to show what was detected, and doing this on a day's worth of targets. That's the only way to know if the Deus 2 is truly better. Until I see that proof I'm fine sticking with my original Deus.
My buddy hunts with a deus 1 and it's very impressive.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, the original Deus is very impressive if you put the time in to learn its capabilities. Definitely not a novice detector although you certainly can just turn it on, choose one of the preset programs, and go. But you can buy a much less expensive detector if that's all you want. The advantage in the Deus (1 or 2) is it can be extensively customized as needed. It takes some time to master but it's well worth it. As I said, unless I see real evidence the Deus 2 preforms better in the field than the original, I'm sticking with the original.

Jkahl40

Feb 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let the other guys have an "edge" on me when it comes to detecting. You'll need one heck of an advantage to justify spending $1,600 every six months for the latest metal detector. Reminds me of the guys who spend $200 on a softball bat, but still stink at softball! Throwing money at this hobby won't make you a better detectorist. Research, paying your dues and detecting where no one else wants to detect will trump any amount of money you toss at this hobby.
Let’s think about this. the last deus came out over 10 years ago. An has been the best machine in iron separation. That has not need to come out with a machine for 10+ years. So some easy math would be $1,600/10=160. So to me that’s a $160 a year. If you can’t find more then $160 worth of relics a year. Please just hang it up. I can find one button of buckle in a year to just pay for the whole $1600. Thanks for your time!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bang on with the side by side, not the test bed comparisons as many play.
I have proved the point years ago with a believer that his machine was OK. (Some yellow garret)
I was running the Minelab SE at the time.

So I invited him to join me at my favourite park 400 acres.
Finds from early 1800-2009 so a 200 yr spread.
I knew the machine pretty good so I would detect a good sounding readable target.
Then I asked buddy over and gave a table top area to detect. Nope or just a tiny chirp, never dig that signal when he did finally zero in on the little chirp.
Repeat/repeat/repeat ( he bought a SE the next day)

This what I want to see with the Deus & Deus ll
The ability of both machines on that very same in the ground (never disturbed)target.
Why in heck would I want to see a Deus find a target then have the Deus ll go over the same target and have them say: Listen to that folks-hell ya, see it sounds up loud and clear! OH BABY, that's what we've been saying!. :headbang::hello2::laughing7:

That's when the stab me with a dull fork thought comes to mind-and the hand races to the delete option.

Early in the game yet, the machines are being poured out like sap on a winters day, drip/...drip/.....drip.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let’s think about this. the last deus came out over 10 years ago. An has been the best machine in iron separation. That has not need to come out with a machine for 10+ years. So some easy math would be $1,600/10=160. So to me that’s a $160 a year. If you can’t find more then $160 worth of relics a year. Please just hang it up. I can find one button of buckle in a year to just pay for the whole $1600. Thanks for your time!!!
Been doing it for over 50 and in the last 15yrs I have spent WAY more than I will ever get back.
But the price of everything added up doesn't come close to the peace of mind shutting off the world switch.
How can one even equate the value of that-priceless in my books.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A proffessional MD? It sounds ideal, but in reality it is rather grimm. I did it for a while, when i was uneployed, yeah it is better than wellfair - isn't it anything. Rather than using a fency detector and waiting for that gold tho shine up, one would utilize a zero discrimination PI capable of going maybe 1 m or so deep or a simple Chinesse machine, digging all sort of trash, mostly iron and aluminium. Well, iron never paied for me since it is awfully chip, but aluminium did. But do not expect to earn a paychecque without the full day work. Every day. I am now "happilly" enployed for a long thime, but i am still picking aluminium. Not for a paychecque any more, but it still pays a pizza once in a blue moon.

So... the awser is...you can if you want to, but it is not wery profitable.

Last edited:

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we all approach detecting with different goals. Some obviously just want to enjoy a day out, away from work and the daily grind, or even away from family. Others are sure it will someday make them rich. I just enjoy the experience of being outside, testing my skills at detecting, and finding buried history, even if it has zero monetary value, although I wish I could find a Saxon hoard but since I live in NJ that's never going to happen.

As far as expense, of course we all have different budgets and justifications as to why it's "worth the money", whatever dollar amount that is.

For me detecting is one of many hobbies but fits in well with most of them since many, but not all, are historical. I have quite a few medium to large collections -- iron age through Roman antiquities; ancient and medieval coins; 17th-18th century Chinese, European, and English porcelain; medieval manuscript pages, and others. I also have four classic cars -- Jag; Porsche; Mercedes; MG, as well as wristwatches and some lesser collections.

I agree the cost of detecting is very affordable compared to other hobbies, especially if you're a serious collector. I'm sure we'd all like to be able to afford whatever is just beyond our capabilities but that happens at every level. If you can afford a $200 detector you probably wish you could afford that next-level machine but at $400 it's simply not practical. Others want a CTX but it's out their range. We convince ourselves we're happy with what we have and hopefully we actually mean it. There are better things to stress about than whether or not we can afford the latest and greatest detector.

If you're detecting because it makes you happy, be happy with whatever detector you're using because no matter how much you spend you'll always wish you could spend more.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what coils will be available for the Deus 2 ?

Jkahl40

Feb 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing it for over 50 and in the last 15yrs I have spent WAY more than I will ever get back.
But the price of everything added up doesn't come close to the peace of mind shutting off the world switch.
How can one even equate the value of that-priceless in my books.
That is very true. An the feeling of the first one to touch/see something over 150 years old.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For $1,600.00, you could buy 976 silver dimes, 389 silver quarters, 195 silver halves or 91 silver dollars. I don't care how good this machine may be, you'll never find anywhere near that much silver with it. Just my take on spending that much for a metal detector...
Certainly not in the south where they kinda missed the prosperous industrial revolution that happened mainly up north. During that time the south was mostly just farming and the farmers really hung on to their silver.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is where I’m at. I doubt the D2 can hit targets that the Deus or ORX can’t. Even XP said that the D2 wasn’t meant to replace the ORX or the D1. To add to your test to keep bias at bay. Have multiple guys who know own and use each machine. The guy with the D2 hits a target and a guy with the D1 and ORX “that’s their main machine” see if they can hit the targets. Beach, wet sand, relic, parks and fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread