Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to my dealer, he preordered four machines and is getting one..
He said I have first shot when it comes in.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $1,600.00, you could buy 976 silver dimes, 389 silver quarters, 195 silver halves or 91 silver dollars. I don't care how good this machine may be, you'll never find anywhere near that much silver with it. Just my take on spending that much for a metal detector...

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well before you do - do your research.
Metal detector XP Deus review

This machine sounds like it's for professionals. Professional - someone who makes a living with a MD. But remember people will chum the water with all kinds of great finds like gold coins to sell machines. The fact is - not many people find gold coins. Try to find honest field tests on machines. If you have this kind of money and think it's the best by all means buy one. As FreeBirdTim points out, it may be hard for the average person to justify this kind of outlay. HH!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who thinks they're a professional metal detectorist is a dreamer, in my opinion. Very few people make a living metal detecting. I do it for fun. Trying to make a living out of it would ruin the fun for me. If I spent $1,600 on a machine, I would be so angry every time I struck out. I'd be thinking that I wasted my money and will never break even on the deal, not to mention actually profit from my purchase. Too much pressure to succeed every time I went detecting.

I definitely know what I'm talking about. I used to love collecting baseball cards and autographs. I also made a decent second income selling my extras . But the fun went away when I started to rely on my hobby as a steady income. Too much pressure to keep the money rolling in all the time. I ended up selling most of my baseball stuff and quit collecting for 20 years. Just started collecting again last year, purely for the fun of it...

DanU

Greenie
Dec 15, 2021
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
I think of it like many other hobbies. My brother in law plays golf. Look at the cost of clubs and annual club dues. I have friends who are marine aquarists. They have much more in their tanks. My sailing friends spend more on annual maintenance and upgrades. Another friend who fishes has more in his rod and reels. Those who like to ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers spend much more. Another is into drones, having the latest drone can run up there. A person into photography can exceed the cost with camera equipment.
If I was just planning on coin shooting, I would have probably made a different choice. Given that I plan on hitting the beaches and will use in up to 20 feet deep in water, the Deus II makes sense. I was originally looking at the Nox 800 but between the unit and what I thought I would want in upgrades, it wasn't that much more for the Deus and I could not use it in water the same way.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone who thinks they're a professional metal detectorist is a dreamer, in my opinion. Very few people make a living metal detecting. I do it for fun. Trying to make a living out of it would ruin the fun for me. If I spent $1,600 on a machine, I would be so angry every time I struck out. I'd be thinking that I wasted my money and will never break even on the deal, not to mention actually profit from my purchase. Too much pressure to succeed every time I went detecting.

I definitely know what I'm talking about. I used to love collecting baseball cards and autographs. I also made a decent second income selling my extras . But the fun went away when I started to rely on my hobby as a steady income. Too much pressure to keep the money rolling in all the time. I ended up selling most of my baseball stuff and quit collecting for 20 years. Just started collecting again last year, purely for the fun of it...
I'd be living under a bridge in a Kenmore refrigerator box.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess in the end it's up to an individual as to what they are looking for in a detector and what they are willing to spend. If the detector meets the expectations of the user, and they are truly satisfied with the unit, then I guess it would be a wise investment, and money well spent. Myself, I couldn't see myself spending this much on a detector, but this is just me. I own and use a Minelab Safari fbs. I don't have the latest and the greatest technology, but I enjoy getting out and using my Safari as much as those that own and use the latest and greatest. Again, it's about getting out, and using and enjoying what you do have and enjoy the Thrill of the Search. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think of it like many other hobbies. My brother in law plays golf. Look at the cost of clubs and annual club dues. I have friends who are marine aquarists. They have much more in their tanks. My sailing friends spend more on annual maintenance and upgrades. Another friend who fishes has more in his rod and reels. Those who like to ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers spend much more. Another is into drones, having the latest drone can run up there. A person into photography can exceed the cost with camera equipment.
If I was just planning on coin shooting, I would have probably made a different choice. Given that I plan on hitting the beaches and will use in up to 20 feet deep in water, the Deus II makes sense. I was originally looking at the Nox 800 but between the unit and what I thought I would want in upgrades, it wasn't that much more for the Deus and I could not use it in water the same way.
That's the way I see it also. The price tag is rough but always looking an edge in pounded out CW sites .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let the other guys have an "edge" on me when it comes to detecting. You'll need one heck of an advantage to justify spending $1,600 every six months for the latest metal detector. Reminds me of the guys who spend $200 on a softball bat, but still stink at softball! Throwing money at this hobby won't make you a better detectorist. Research, paying your dues and detecting where no one else wants to detect will trump any amount of money you toss at this hobby.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pre-order in. I found around $2000 worth of gold and silver in 2021, I enjoy the hobby and having a machine that I can dive with may or may not increase my finds. It'll take the water pressure off my Nox which will eventually drown if I keep pushing it to its limit. My first machine was $200 and took years to pay for its self. My next machine was an excal for $600 and paid for its self the first outing. I'll be interested to see how long the Deus 2 takes to pay for its self. I have a feeling if I can get it for the summer water hunting season it will earn its keep the first year and definitely long before the warranty expires. I'll let you know where I'm at this time next year.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dealer ordered and paid for 6 of them. I was the first on his list for a 9" coil. $1600 isn't that much when you consider what other hobbies cost. Most hobbies don't give back to the hobbyist like metal detecting does. I don't keep track of value. I have found valuable coins but I detect for the joy of detecting. The research I've done is priceless. The knowledge I've gained about where I live means more to me than any price of a machine. The D2 should make detecting physically easier which will help me with more time in the field doing what I enjoy doing with friends! Cheers, and Happy New Year!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pre-order in. I found around $2000 worth of gold and silver in 2021

I checked your posts over the past year, but didn't see any significant finds. How about showing us some pics? I'd love to see 2k in gold and silver. I mainly hunt deep in the woods, so gold finds are rare for me. I do find a lot of silver coins and rings, but definitely less than $500 a year. I guess farmers were poor back in the 1700's and 1800's.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I debated myself for quite a while on whether to purchase the DEUS 2 or the Legend the legend won out and got my pre order I looked at my age and how much I get to hunt anymore,which is not much, at one time I hunted everyday I also took into account where I am now living which is in Arizona, if i still lived in Ohio the Deus 2 may have won my pre order because of the history here in AZ i just could not pre order the DEUS 2 it had nothing to do with the cost i just could see no feasible reason to spend $1600 on a detector, when I could take a detector that cost 2 and a half times less and find good finds, the other reason I chose the Legend was because I have always wanted to try a Nokta/Macro detector and the legend pro pac at the price point it is setting in it was a no brain er for me so I made the pre order,,so far from what I am seeing the legend will do what I want a detector to do but in reality until someone has a DEUS 2 or a Legend in their hands no one is actually going to know what they are capable of.

the other thing you can hand someone a $1600 machine and until that someone learns a $1600 machines language that person will find no better finds than someone with a $200 machine that has taken the time to actually learn that $200 machine, its just like me when I first started detecting I made two purchases of two different detectors which was in 2010 the AT PRO had just come to market and the Xterra 705 which I believe had not been on the market to long before the ATP came out, the dealer I purchased from had a used Xterra 705 so I purchased a new ATP and a slightly used 705 with three coils, the ATP i never could mesh with but the Xterra 705 was a different story for me it was a marriage made in heaven with the Xterra 705, I feel i could take the 705 still today and find just as good of finds than someone using a DEUS 2 for the first time why ???, the simple answer because I put the time in to actually learn the language of the Xterra 705 and it has many, the ATP i would be like a deer in headlights simply because I never took the time to actually learn the AT PRO s language.

Just my two cents

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mentally easy purchase. No problem justifying but did sell 5 detectors to make it happen
HAHA! Yeah, I have enough for the DEUS 1 but I may sell my nox 600 to get it. I love SMF machines and I have pulled non-ferrous targets from "hunted out" sites, mainly lower conductors. I watch Calabash digger's videos on the DEUS 2 and it really looks worth it. I have also seen the EnglandsHistory depth test video on DEUS 2 vs Equinox 800, and it smokes it in my honest opinion. That's just my two cents on the matter.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having used the Deus 1 for five years I am hooked and if the circumstances were right I would order a II today. The Deus is the only machine I can swing all day long due to back injuries resulting from an automobile accident about six years ago.
Ocean 7, The Deus in your rely is the original Deus. The Deus II is a completely new machine from what I read an the videos posted on the internet.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Having used the Deus 1 for five years I am hooked and if the circumstances were right I would order a II today. The Deus is the only machine I can swing all day long due to back injuries resulting from an automobile accident about six years ago.
Ocean 7, The Deus in your rely is the original Deus. The Deus II is a completely new machine from what I read an the videos posted on the internet.
unless you like spending that kinda money and goin to a site only to find the battery in the coil is dead bring minelab 600 for backupy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread