Anyone who thinks they're a professional metal detectorist is a dreamer, in my opinion. Very few people make a living metal detecting. I do it for fun. Trying to make a living out of it would ruin the fun for me. If I spent $1,600 on a machine, I would be so angry every time I struck out. I'd be thinking that I wasted my money and will never break even on the deal, not to mention actually profit from my purchase. Too much pressure to succeed every time I went detecting.
I definitely know what I'm talking about. I used to love collecting baseball cards and autographs. I also made a decent second income selling my extras . But the fun went away when I started to rely on my hobby as a steady income. Too much pressure to keep the money rolling in all the time. I ended up selling most of my baseball stuff and quit collecting for 20 years. Just started collecting again last year, purely for the fun of it...