Dfx 300

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I have a DFX 300 and I was looking for some other peoples experiences with the DFX. I detect for silver coins mostly and I feel like I may be missing targets. My unit will hit solidly at 5 1/2 -6" it seems, but after that the signals are weak or off on the vdi. I think I'm running it pretty hot too. I'm definitely still learning even though I've had it for years. What are your honest experiences with the DFX as far as depth and solid hits go. What do you suggest? I have Digging Deeper but it can be a little overwhelming. I wish I new more people that detected so I could compare with what they're using. Id love to try a minelab. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Depth is a function of ground mineralization and coil size. *More good coins are found at 5"-6" than at 10"-12". *You don't find silver if you don't swing your coil over it.

Start with the coin program. Make a copy of page 33 of Jeff Foster's Digging Deeper With The DFX,that is figure 18. Carry it with you and use it religiously, until it becomes second nature. I still cary a copy in my detector bag. Hunt sites that your research shows should be good and have at it.

Sounds simple. And it can be. While the DFX offers tremendous potential for adjustment, it works just fine out of the box.

I can't tell you about the 12" coil, because I replaced my 9.5" coil with an 8X6 SEF. It's a smaller coil with less depth but better separation.

That should get you started. If you need further help, pm me.

HH

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
DM, thanks for that info. I'm going to do that. I've sent you a message.

Anyone else have any DFX depth comments?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
je177, Dirty Money is right on. I am going to assume you are using the Super 12. That Super 12 coil or any really big coil can be a blessing and a curse. I use it the least out of all my DFX coils. I will argue that sometimes my little 5.3 Eclipse coil will go deeper than the big Super 12. I once passed over a nice 1796 Liberty Cap LC with the Super 12 only to come back the next week and nail it with the little 5.3. The reason is because there was a lot of iron around that coin. The Super 12 not only had the LC under it but also all the iron. A smaller coil will give you more depth in many cases. Also in our neck of the woods, the granite ledge that isn't often to far under the soil surface can give you real hot rock headaches. The bigger the coil the bigger the headache. The Super 12 is also prone to EMI. I am not bashing the coil, it does have its uses. But for in yards and parks and other trashy areas, you will loose depth by using that big coil.

If you are not using the Super 12, forget everything I said :laughing7: . You say you are running "hot". Sometimes running hot will only exacerbate the problems. I almost never run at a PAG of 4. When I use that big coil I run with a PAG of 2 and maximise the AC. Don't forget, not only are you boosting the signal response of that coin, but also all the ground minerals and trash under your coil as well. The DFX has almost endless adjustments but it can't compensate for that overwhelming blast of signals if you run to hot.

Something else you might want to try is to run in 3 kHz only. The DC Phase or the ground's VDI number in our area is often less than -90. That is when 3 kHz will out perform multifrequency or 15 Khz. I have found I get better depth on small silver with 3 kHz only. I like to run with Normilization OFF when in 3 kHz to make those coppers and silver hit lower down on the VDI scale (away from the hot rock zone and the iron wrap around affect). Hope this helps !

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the 12" coil for all the reasons the others have mentioned. In Wales where I live there was a deal of disappointment when the DFX came out because people were trying to use twin frequency all the time. In the end it proved better to use a single frequency and leave twin frequency for the wet salt beaches.

Question is if you should use 3kHz or 15 kHz ? 3 is suggested for high conductors like silver and 15 for low conductors like gold and your nickels but as with all things metal detecting, its subject to ifs and buts. Small, thin silver or silver at greater depth becomes a low conductor so the 15 kHz frequency is more effective especially if your soil is not to hot. You just have to try what is best for the soil your detecting on and select accordingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread