Diamond help

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have a few stones in question. The one I am posting I have done everything I could research on about testing them. I just tried a grease test with a board coated in axle grease and a handful of quartz and other items. I set it at an angle and used a hose to let water stream down. All the stones rolled down except for one. Under a 10x mag it looks really nice and all edges are smooth and not rough. When doing a water test it wicks water away like it is coated with rainx. I am trying to figure it out before going to a geologist. The weight was .8 grams. Fingers crossed. Also, if this would be real do diamonds tend to be in pockets or close together? I just can't imagine this would be the lone stone.

RS

Attachments

• 20150709_222502.jpg
    20150709_222502.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 20150709_222804.jpg
    20150709_222804.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20150709_222530.jpg
    20150709_222530.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150709_222718.jpg
    20150709_222718.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 180

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I got to looking at raw diamonds last night. A majority of the ones I looked at looked as if they are pitted and not smooth. They have nice shapes but the surfaces sure aren't smooth.
I also played some with the tester and it seemed the cooler the stone the tester would peg quicker. I tried several options from cooling them to just keeping them in my pocket. Most came back checking good.
I may just take them and pay to have them looked at. Hopefully it doesn't break the bank. The wife already is mad because I have crap all over her kitchen. Way to hot to work outside or in the garage.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Specific Gravity test is important. If they pass that, showing 3.5-3.55, than hardness is next. Hold one up against an aluminum oxide grinding wheel. If it cuts the wheel, it's probably diamond. The wheel shouldn't cut the stone. Those are two good tests. After that, if they pas both tests, you can spend a few bucks and have them professionally tested.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried the specific gravity test and man I tell you as simple as it seems I screw it up. I have googled and YouTube the directions.
If I have a 4 carat stone dry when I weigh it in the water does the water have to be weighted at 4ct in volume? I take my scale and weigh the stone in carat then I put my container on and zero it out and I add 4 carat of water by volume. I then suspend the stone in the middle of the water and get my specific gravity weight and then do the math.
I took the dremel and tried to cut it. It sparked like crazy and ate up the blade. The only thing it did was smooth it a little. Not sure what is going on. All I know is I was covered in dremel dust.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The volume of water doesn't mean anything. You put the water on the scale and zero the scale with the water on it. Then you suspend the stone in the water. The reading of the scale will be the volume of water displaced by the stone. You should weigh the stone dry in grams. If you weigh the water displaced in grams, you just divide the dry weight by the weight of the displaced water and you will have the specific gravity. So, if the stone weighs 18 grams dry, and the displaced water weighs 5 grams, the SG would be 18 divided by 5 or 3.6. Or, you can weigh the stone dry in ounces, and the displaced water in ounces...they just have to be weighed in the same units.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried a few last night and got variable results. I need a better scale. My issue was with the small stones. They would not read the water weight. I tried various settings but five stones all read zero. Maybe I am over analyzing it but should you not have the same same weight of water to dry weight of stone. I know water volume doesn't matter but if I take a 10 gram stone and put it in a measuring cup that holds 4 cups the water displacement would be so slight wouldn't it? I just cant see how I come up with zeroes.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're zeroing the scale WITH the water in it, THEN putting the stones in, and getting all zeroes? If that's the case, you need to use a much smaller/more sensitive measurement like carats or MGs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am putting the water in and zeroing it then I place the stone in suspended with a alligator clamp thingy for soldering. I tried it in carats and a few other settings and still zeroes. I think the scale maybe junk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It finally started working for me. Tested a few out. Mostly citrine, onyx, quartz, and another gem. The scale is really cheap and it had to tare out a lot for me to get it right and then I had to be quick about getting the stones in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also read that if a stone weighs in at 1 gram that it is the same sg of water since water is 1. This is why I guess I came up with zeroes on a few. I tried all the settings from gram, oz, ct, and the rest and they still came up zero.
I tell ya I stayed up running numbers and weights until 2am. Found some interesting stuff for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more I found. This thing is almost squared on one side and pyramid shape on the other. SG is around 3.5ish the diamond tester pings quickly to diamond all bars if you put it on a polished section. I wonder if it is a false positive for white sapphire, or another gem if not diamond. This is the first one I have found that is this shape and follows the rules.

Attachments

• 2015-09-02 12.10.47.jpg
    2015-09-02 12.10.47.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2015-09-02 17.21.37.jpg
    2015-09-02 17.21.37.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20150902_143543.jpg
    20150902_143543.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That last one does absolutely not follow the rules, diamonds usually don't get such a worn surface.
Diamonds, even rough ones, tend to be shinier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely has some wear to it. I read that article and most seemed to be found in the Charlotte area not far from me. I am reading old geological reports and locations of minerals. If anything it is good exercise and some knowledge of the surrounding counties.
Thanks for the responses.

Upvote 0

Nappy701

Dec 7, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450049814.580956.jpg Rough diamond? It does test on a diamond tester I know it looks like quartz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How high does it read? Dia. Normally have a unique shape

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread