Did i just find a huge gold necklace?????

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting this morning with my nox800 and I'll be honest I never get this lucky. So I get a solid 13 signal and start to uncover this chain. It looks amazing and feels heavy and stamped 14k. Is it possible I hit the big one??
20230507_095842.jpg
20230507_101017.jpg
20230507_101107.jpg

Upvote 50

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take it to a reputable pawn shop, they can scan it and tell you for certain what the metal content is. I found a gold necklace a couple of years ago that was marked 14k, I took it to a jewelry store and they said it was fake. I had already done a specific gravity test and was sure they were lying. I have a friend who owns a pawn shop so I took it to him to scan, even though it’s marked 14k it was actually 10k . Even at 10k it was worth just over a thousand dollars melt value.

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a reputable pawn shop, they can scan it and tell you for certain what the metal content is. I found a gold necklace a couple of years ago that was marked 14k, I took it to a jewelry store and they said it was fake. I had already done a specific gravity test and was sure they were lying. I have a friend who owns a pawn shop so I took it to him to scan, even though it’s marked 14k it was actually 10k . Even at 10k it was worth just over a thousand dollars melt value.
I took it this afternoon to a jeweler and they said it was fake :( gold plated. The wind is out of my sails now lol but with alot of things I find metal detecting I keep but I'm definitely selling this Heartbreaker lol

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
I took it this afternoon to a jeweler and they said it was fake :( gold plated. The wind is out of my sails now lol but with alot of things I find metal detecting I keep but I'm definitely selling this Heartbreaker lol
You are missing an opportunity. Keep it and chuck it on the ground in front of your hunting buddies, or even your metal detecting nemesis. The laughs you get are better than any gold.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've found two necklaces and 5 bracelets that were marked gold and turned out to be fake. It really does take the wind out of your sails, but soldier on, the good stuff is out there!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While you are assured it wasn't real. The real thing was the Nitro feeling moment of finding it.
Had a few of those over the decades, and truthfully they never get old.
Better luck on the next one, may it be the real deal.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
sorry,but thanks for letting us know

OP
OP
M

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you do a specific gravity test?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you do a specific gravity test?
Couple of easy ways.
1, if you have a pin type scale, weight the item normally (dry), they weigh it again submerged in water, say in a bucket full of water. The item tied to pin scale with a bit of fishing line, then divide the difference of the two weights into the dry weight.
2, have a graduated cylinder, a large syringe like 20 cc's from the vet should be big enough for that chain. put some water in the cylinder, note how many cc's, then put your item in and note how many cc's increase, the volume of your item. Divide the weight of the item by the cc's of volume =gm/cc or specific gravity.

Even if you did not have a graduated cylinder you could use any container with straight sides (no taper) if you can accurately measure it with verniers, and calculate the volume. You could fill the container completely full, submerge your item, then remove it, then calculate how much water is now missing.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of easy ways.
1, if you have a pin type scale, weight the item normally (dry), they weigh it again submerged in water, say in a bucket full of water. The item tied to pin scale with a bit of fishing line, then divide the difference of the two weights into the dry weight.
2, have a graduated cylinder, a large syringe like 20 cc's from the vet should be big enough for that chain. put some water in the cylinder, note how many cc's, then put your item in and note how many cc's increase, the volume of your item. Divide the weight of the item by the cc's of volume =gm/cc or specific gravity.

Even if you did not have a graduated cylinder you could use any container with straight sides (no taper) if you can accurately measure it with verniers, and calculate the volume. You could fill the container completely full, submerge your item, then remove it, then calculate how much water is now missing.
Wht I noticed was the bumpiness . That to me is a sign of plating. Gold wears a nd should be fairly smooth. That clasp does not look right--too cheap-looking for a nie necklace. and like someone else said the attachment ring is not soldered. You never find that on a nice necklace. But strange the chain has some gouge marks in it. Don't know what that is, copper base?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update, I thought it looked a little off, but there is always next time.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Put a magnet to the clasp. I have found 2 gold chains marked 14k Italy both were fake or what I refer to as Ghetto gold. They sell a lot of fake gold at the Joyeria stores, Mexican jewelry stores.
All clasps are magnetic due to the steel spring inside.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very shiny and the way it is designed makes it stan out I know next to nothing about gold /jewelry etc But I LIKE TO THINK i know what looks good and your find looks very good As far as what it is worth Take it to some one that will gve you an honest answer I f that answer does not mt your expectations try some one else It is still under any situation a great find

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a bracelet in that pattern it weighed 34 or 37 grams. I forget which. It was solid 14K. A necklace would weigh a lot more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very shiny and the way it is designed makes it stan out I know next to nothing about gold /jewelry etc But I LIKE TO THINK i know what looks good and your find looks very good As far as what it is worth Take it to some one that will gve you an honest answer I f that answer does not mt your expectations try some one else It is still under any situation a great find
He has already posted it was tested by jeweler and is 10k gold plated.

Reactions: ARC

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions