What's new

Did I make a Rocker Box or a Rocker sluice ?

xracer550

Full Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
171
Reaction score
532
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time I was out to the desert roads were a mess , gulley's , washout's puddles of water enough to pan in , To wet for drywashing that's when I thought about building a rocker box to process more dirt , Now that it is finished I can't get to the claim main paved roads are still closed since Dec . , So I have not tested it yet , Don't know much about rockers is it Box or sluice ?
 

Attachments

  • rocker box 002.webp
    rocker box 002.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • rocker box 005.webp
    rocker box 005.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • rocker box 007.webp
    rocker box 007.webp
    933.3 KB · Views: 139
  • rocker box 008.webp
    rocker box 008.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
  • rocker box 011.webp
    rocker box 011.webp
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • rocker box 013.webp
    rocker box 013.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Very nice on the fabrication....and...
I'd say you've made a mini-highbanker that rocks.... :occasion14:
 
Last time I was out to the desert roads were a mess , gulley's , washout's puddles of water enough to pan in , To wet for drywashing that's when I thought about building a rocker box to process more dirt , Now that it is finished I can't get to the claim main paved roads are still closed since Dec . , So I have not tested it yet , Don't know much about rockers is it Box or sluice ?
Looks fantastic! 👍
 
Last time I was out to the desert roads were a mess , gulley's , washout's puddles of water enough to pan in , To wet for drywashing that's when I thought about building a rocker box to process more dirt , Now that it is finished I can't get to the claim main paved roads are still closed since Dec . , So I have not tested it yet , Don't know much about rockers is it Box or sluice ?
Very awesome but I'm worried about your use of miner moss. Since this is a low flow system, I believe the miners moss will clog up very fast and become useless. Also I would put in more riffles. Carpet with expanded metal and more riffles is what I am going to use in the rocker box I'm building.
 
Very awesome but I'm worried about your use of miner moss. Since this is a low flow system, I believe the miners moss will clog up very fast and become useless. Also I would put in more riffles. Carpet with expanded metal and more riffles is what I am going to use in the rocker box I'm building.
How about putting the miners moss only on the bottom of the feed hoper box without the L aluminum sheet deflector where the materials first land / hit?
Is your box going to also be hand feed with the water as well?
 
I did see one with expanded metal all the way down , Would this do the same as more riffles ? , The box has a slick plate 5" long before hitting any riffles or moss . The L thing makes the dirt run over a removable plate with 1/8" black ribbing to see if any small stuff gets caught before it gets to box . et1955 please show us yours when you get it done .
 
I did see one with expanded metal all the way down , Would this do the same as more riffles ? , The box has a slick plate 5" long before hitting any riffles or moss . The L thing makes the dirt run over a removable plate with 1/8" black ribbing to see if any small stuff gets caught before it gets to box . et1955 please show us yours when you get it done .
Yep.
Why have a slick plate on such a short box when the moss at the bottom of the first drop point of material run going into the miner's moss would serve a similar function for the fines to flow down through? You may find, that 25 - 60 percent of the fines will stop right at the miner's moss area.

I second that as another person that would like to see what et1955 is coming up with.  :hello2::thumbsup:
Nice job you did and a great thread topic xracer550. :headbang:
 
I did see one with expanded metal all the way down , Would this do the same as more riffles ? , The box has a slick plate 5" long before hitting any riffles or moss . The L thing makes the dirt run over a removable plate with 1/8" black ribbing to see if any small stuff gets caught before it gets to box . et1955 please show us yours when you get it done .
Your riffles should be the size of the material going in, same as running a sluice. The main problem with a rocker box is that it is a flash flow system with irregular flow, every time you pour water into it creates turbulence which can discharge fine gold that is why you should have riffles to block that surge but allow lighter material to flow out. You never pull out a sluice unless you are doing a cleanup, same with running a high banker or a dredge, the surge will expel gold. As for my system I am going to 3D print it, I have good files to print the riffle area, probably will fabricating the rest. Also, the black mat in your system should be 1/4 inch for using as an indicator but the best place for an indicator is right where there is a reversal of water flow. That is where I would put miners moss but limited.
 
well it sounds like I may need to change alot of stuff , The riffles are only 3/8" high same as holes in hopper the black mat is same as on my sluice works great on there , Not sure what a setback is & yes I did everything myself , I can make a new tray but no miners moss or only on bottom of tray or on top more riffles , expanded metal , flatter carpet , I think I need to see some other ideas .
 
Good morning xracer a Set Back or bend deduction is used for determining the Blank Size of Material before Bending depending on thickness of material you subtract said amount for each bend example if you have one bend using .062 material with a .062 radius you will deduct .110 away from your Blank Size So lets say you have a piece 12" wide with a 1" bend X 8" = 9" minus .110 = 12" X 8.890"
 
Is a box that is around 72 inches to long and heavy?
If not put an add out (Craig listing etc.) for a used aluminum Loading Ramp and just pop rivet / bolt on the sides.
 
If a small box is wanted how about aluminum clipboard holder boxes for papers that are already made just take apart and pop rivet on sides and ends of your sheet metal.
 
Your riffles should be the size of the material going in, same as running a sluice. The main problem with a rocker box is that it is a flash flow system with irregular flow, every time you pour water into it creates turbulence which can discharge fine gold that is why you should have riffles to block that surge but allow lighter material to flow out. You never pull out a sluice unless you are doing a cleanup, same with running a high banker or a dredge, the surge will expel gold. As for my system I am going to 3D print it, I have good files to print the riffle area, probably will fabricating the rest. Also, the black mat in your system should be 1/4 inch for using as an indicator but the best place for an indicator is right where there is a reversal of water flow. That is where I would put miners moss but limited.
I thought the majority of the gold stayed in the rocket box and the fines got sloughed off the top? Am I mistaken?
 
Is a box that is around 72 inches to long and heavy?
If not put an add out (Craig listing etc.) for a used aluminum Loading Ramp and just pop rivet / bolt on the sides.
Most Sluice's are made of .063 Aluminum a loading ramp just guessing is around 1/8" to 1/4" or thicker Way to heavy for a Sluice box lol.
 
Most Sluice's are made of .063 Aluminum a loading ramp just guessing is around 1/8" to 1/4" or thicker Way to heavy for a Sluice box lol.
Wheel chair ramps will be a better option. Yes the weight is too much for most to pack in. The advantage is little or no warpage and are quite flat even with some loading.
For most a single layer of sheet aluminum is called for such as used in the clipboard foundation with sheet metal attached.
 
Wheel chair ramps will be a better option. Yes the weight is too much for most to pack in. The advantage is little or no warpage and are quite flat even with some loading.
For most a single layer of sheet aluminum is called for such as used in the clipboard foundation with sheet metal attached.
What is “clipboard foundation”? Do I want to ask at this time of day? Is your station being manned by a human at the moment? Legit question. Where would (300 pound capacity) wheel chair ramps be applicable here?
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom