Die crack or post mint damage?

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3E3F3FDB-2D06-4025-80AF-2092B8E4B2FE.jpeg

Found this today. There is a wired “scratch” that goes from the rim near “IN GOD WE TRUST,” to the rim near the A in “Dollar.”

On one hand, it looks like post mint damage to me.

On the other hand, it goes from rim to rim, and is too irregular to be a post mint damage scratch.

I am confused, I honestly can’t tell the difference.

Can someone help?

Jared

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That's another interesting one, Jared. The rim below the second L in dollar amost looks like there was some foreign material on the planchet when it was struck.

Good eye!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting back. I think you’re right, it’s a lamination crack.

To be honest, I don’t see the foreign material on the planchet that you mentioned, @xr7ator.

Anyway, I’m out volunteering, coin is not with me now, I left it with my collection. I’ll give it a closer look when I get home.

Jared

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think what xr meant was there was some rectangular piece of something that was laying on top of the planchet when it was struck, but is now not there (probably still at the mint damaging other random coins!) Try to picture laying a thin metal ruler over the coin where one corner of said ruler intersects with the ribbon on GW's hair. (The other three corners not touching your coin as it was struck). The hammer comes down, and you have a permanent "record" of whatever crap was in the press.

There's probably a simpler way to say the above, but hopefully you get the idea.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread