difference between dd coil and a concentric coil

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

DD covers more ground

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been said, one puts out a cone shape field the other puts out a knife shaped field. If you are in a trashy area or high minerlaization the DD will be better. If you are in an clean area with mild ground the concentric will most likely be better but you will have to overlap the swings more to get good coverage at depth. I use my DDs for everything except the beach (consentric slides nice on the sand) and fields with no trash and stubble.. the open style DD get hooked easy. Use them both, you will quickly find what works best for you.
Also this link provides a lot of very good info if the mod does not delete it.
Truth About Search Coils

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both have advantages in certain situations and with certain detectors. I like the DD because I hunt in a lot of areas with metal junk. The DD has a long and narrow sweet spot and will get between objects to good targets below them . . . sometimes (if the objects are side/by side instead of front to back). I am used to "X"ing a hit to see if it stays a constant return.

Concentrics are easier to pinpoint with; but DD can do just as well even if taking slightly longer. DD's have more useable field strength at the lower depths (the Concentric is just the tip of the cone, vs. a coil length field of the DD).

It is also a consideration of what you detector came with as standard. If it came standard with a concentric then the internal parameters for tuning may be favoring that type. That is assuming the manufacturer's know their detectors and decided which it would do best with. I'm just guessing at this one, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions