dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I have a basic question on mode selection, sounds simple but give this some thought and post if you know pls;

So most have their own preferences or favorite modes to hunt in, including myself but my question is this.. barring gold mode, what really is the difference in modes?.. considering you have the same settings available in all modes and they are highly customizable, is the Equinox doing anything behind the scenes in different modes that you cant manually tweek to your preferences?

This has been bugging me and i appreciate your input, thanks! JJ

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I have a basic question on mode selection, sounds simple but give this some thought and post if you know pls;

So most have their own preferences or favorite modes to hunt in, including myself but my question is this.. barring gold mode, what really is the difference in modes?.. considering you have the same settings available in all modes and they are highly customizable, is the Equinox doing anything behind the scenes in different modes that you cant manually tweek to your preferences?

This has been bugging me and i appreciate your input, thanks! JJ
Absolutely, otherwise there would be no need for Park 1/2, Field 1/2 or Gold 1/2 programs.

The Noxx 600 software has been dumbed down a bit from what the 800 offers.

The part of Manitoba where I live was once covered by Lake Agassiz, in many areas the soil is alkaline. A quick Ph test will inform me of which program I should be running, then try to tweak the customizable settings to suit my hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Absolutely, otherwise there would be no need for Park 1/2, Field 1/2 or Gold 1/2 programs.

The Noxx 600 software has been dumbed down a bit from what the 800 offers.
Appreciate that but that doesn't answer my question.. what exactly is that need?

Maybe i didnt ask my question in the right way, but i think (barring gold mode) they are all different generic starting points for different situations, very nice indeed.

Considering how much you can customize, could you not tweek Park 1 to get the exact same program you can create in field 2?Is the Equinox perforimg any differently just because you of mode selection?

I've always heard this mode is better than that, this is deeper than that.. so how exactly is the Equinox performing any differently just based on mode selection when all available settings are the same? Thanks

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Appreciate that but that doesn't answer my question.. what exactly is that need?

Maybe i didnt ask my question in the right way, but i think (barring gold mode) they are all different generic starting points for different situations, very nice indeed.

Considering how much you can customize, could you not tweek Park 1 to get the exact same program you can create in field 2?Is the Equinox perforimg any differently just because you of mode selection?

I've always heard this mode is better than that, this is deeper than that.. so how exactly is the Equinox performing any differently just based on mode selection when all available settings are the same? Thanks
Therein lies the problem, if I gave you the settings I'm running on alkaline soil, you more than likely would be very disappointed with a day spent hunting on your ground conditions.

The generic Noxx settings work in most ground conditions, but when ground conditions radically change from one beach to another across the globe the forethought to allow the user to tweak those settings was genius on the manufactures part.

OP
OP
dogcaught

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Therein lies the problem, if I gave you the settings I'm running on alkaline soil, you more than likely would be very disappointed with a day spent hunting on your ground conditions.

The generic Noxx settings work in most ground conditions, but when ground conditions radically change from one beach to another across the globe the forethought to allow the user to tweak those settings was genius on the manufactures part.
Thank you, that may be more to what i am getting at.. settings aside, would you say the Noxx is ground tracking/balancing differently in different modes? Thanks

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Thank you, that may be more to what i am getting at.. settings aside, would you say the Noxx is ground tracking/balancing differently in different modes? Thanks
Yes.

Also remember your Noxx will remember the last state when shut off for the day and it will restart from the last state.

Should your customized state have some conflicts and your not finding buried treasure.

Turn the detector off, then restart by holding the power button depressed for 10 seconds this will reset back to factory specs.

I have it from a reliable source, any Noxx coming in for warranty, a factory reset is first on the technicians to do list and this generally 99 percent of the time cures the problem.

I'm a new Noxx owner and have not yet had a chance to use it, still learning.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I'm basically only interested in old silver coins, being able to select 5 khz as single frequency, according to the book is the best option for silver.

This information came at a time before Minelab included 4khz into their latest software upgrade.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4khz was made for big deep silver in Asia, it isn't so great in many situations as it seems to make many signals read/sound great when they are junk. I have a lot of iron (mineral, not iron trash) in the soil by me and always hunt in multi and still find the silver with no problem. To me hunting in any one frequency is defeating the reasons for having a multi machine.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Modes have a lot to do with depth and swing/target recovery and swing speed. New parks usually don't have very deep coin/ring targets so I pick Park 1 on my Simplex (deep but normal recovery). If it is a somewhat new, trashy Park, then I pick Park2 (almost as deep but faster recovery). If I'm in the woods or in a large open area that is not a typical park, I then pick 'Field" (deeper than either Park, normal recovery). All metal mode is deeper than either Parks or Field (I use it to distinguish fast chirps/blips without target ID when I'm first using Park or Field modes). I haven't tried Beach or underwater modes yet. The Simplex is a hot machine at rev 2v77, I will throttle the power down when in heavy trash areas. I aggressively ground balance as conditions change.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without trying to repeat what Minelab already has written on the various modes in the Nox manual, I highly suggest you download the Equinox manual from the Minelab web site. The manual does a very nice job of describing the nuances in the different modes. What the manual does not describe in any detail is the actual mix of frequencies used in each mode to accomplish the results each mode is designed to produce.
So, basically, each mode is set up to cover things like generic/typical finds one might find in the average park (Park 1) while fine tuning that for finding fine/small jewelry type items in a typical park (Park 2). Park hunting will differ from hunting in fields and woods where terrain and soil might differ from typical park conditions. Thus the field modes.
Again, the best advice to learn more about the modes and settings is download the Nox manual.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Without trying to repeat what Minelab already has written on the various modes in the Nox manual, I highly suggest you download the Equinox manual from the Minelab web site. The manual does a very nice job of describing the nuances in the different modes. What the manual does not describe in any detail is the actual mix of frequencies used in each mode to accomplish the results each mode is designed to produce.
So, basically, each mode is set up to cover things like generic/typical finds one might find in the average park (Park 1) while fine tuning that for finding fine/small jewelry type items in a typical park (Park 2). Park hunting will differ from hunting in fields and woods where terrain and soil might differ from typical park conditions. Thus the field modes.
Again, the best advice to learn more about the modes and settings is download the Nox manual.
Good advice.

OEM manual - Noxx 600/800

Attachments

• EQUINOX 600 800 EN.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 58

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, the different modes have slightly different settings and frequency profiles, which helps you with certain targets without having to completely reprogram all the settings. You can tweak some modes to mimic other modes, but, what would be the point? Just use the one designed for the type hunting you plan to do. Make changes as necessary to make the detector stable.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modes have a lot to do with depth and swing/target recovery and swing speed. New parks usually don't have very deep coin/ring targets so I pick Park 1 on my Simplex (deep but normal recovery). If it is a somewhat new, trashy Park, then I pick Park2 (almost as deep but faster recovery). If I'm in the woods or in a large open area that is not a typical park, I then pick 'Field" (deeper than either Park, normal recovery). All metal mode is deeper than either Parks or Field (I use it to distinguish fast chirps/blips without target ID when I'm first using Park or Field modes). I haven't tried Beach or underwater modes yet. The Simplex is a hot machine at rev 2v77, I will throttle the power down when in heavy trash areas. I aggressively ground balance as conditions change.
Recovery speed is adjustable so it can be the same in
A Simplex is not a Nox. On the Nox the recovery speed is fully adjustable so the recovery can be the same in P1 or P2.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot explain it in Tech. terms so much as my own layman's understanding based on what I've picked up on Treasure Net in the last 3 years on the EQ by some very smart guys who love and understand the Tech. talk. My understanding is, the 800 has 5, 10, 15 ,20 and 40 Khz., with an additional 4Khz. with an upload. It's the same as the 600 except the 600 does not have the 40Khz. I believe. With the Multi IQ, it does not mean it operates say in 5,10,15,20 & 40 at the same time. Say in Park 1, it works with the lower end of the Freq.'s, guessing 5, 10 & 15Khz. and Park 2 will operate at the higher end say 10, 15 & 20. Same for Field 1 & 2. The lower Freq.s of Park 1 being better for Silver, copper & brass, deeper larger targets, Park 2 at the higher end of the Freq.'s better for smaller perhaps shallower targets as well as being more sensitive to small gold objects, and because of that it has been said to or, you should do another noise cancel and ground balance every time you change modes, as well if you should go into a single Freq. of choice for whatever reason. Beach and prospecting mode operate different, I've only used beach mode twice at the coast, and have yet to use the prospecting mode, so I have nothing to offer on those two really. For me? I only now use the Field modes, most often Field 2. It works for me. Everything else in my overall reply, may not be right on. If I understand it wrong, any of you fella's feel free to point it out, no problem. dogcaught and I both are open to it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 600 has 20 and 40khz too, it just doesn't allow you to select those two frequencies as a single frequency. It still uses them in multi frequency in the Park and Field modes. In wet salt water/sand Beach modes, you have to use multi. It's too unstable to use a single frequency and still get any depth. The 600 doesn't have the Gold prospecting modes. I only use noise cancel if I notice EMI. It's rare I have to play with the ground balance. The beaches are real stable and seem to work just fine with the stock setting. If I notice ground noise (like when you pump the coil) I'll run a manual ground balance, or, auto if the ground is really changeable. That's only happened once in 4 years now, so, ground balance has really not been an issue for me. YMMV. Personally, I like Park 1 for most venues where I'm looking for coins and jewelry. If it's tiny gold I'm looking for, I'll use Field 2, or, one of the Gold modes. If I'm in wet salt sand, it's pretty much going to be Beach 2. Regardless of which mode I'm using, I like 50 tones and have the horseshoe turned on so I hear the low iron grunt. It's very rare I turn that off. In areas where there are tons of bottle caps or similar iron, I turn the iron bias up to F2@6, to help I.D. those animals. Otherwise, looking for relics I leave it at 0. Recovery speed set at whatever level I need depending on the concentration of trash, and/or, extra depth I may need.

nwdetectorist

Greenie
Oct 23, 2021
Yes.

Also remember your Noxx will remember the last state when shut off for the day and it will restart from the last state.

Should your customized state have some conflicts and your not finding buried treasure.

Turn the detector off, then restart by holding the power button depressed for 10 seconds this will reset back to factory specs.

I have it from a reliable source, any Noxx coming in for warranty, a factory reset is first on the technicians to do list and this generally 99 percent of the time cures the problem.

I'm a new Noxx owner and have not yet had a chance to use it, still learning.
Problem is that a complete reset will require going through re-pairing of the wireless bluetooth headphones if you are using these. Alternately you could just reset the individual 'detecting mode' i.e. Field 1 or Park 2 etc. The difference between the modes from my understanding is predicated on the 'weighting' of which group of frequencies are transmitted and how they are processed by the electronics, etc.

Attachments

• Equinox Reset.jpg
    Equinox Reset.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions