JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be just a me problem but so far finding my Deus XP nearly useless in parks around here. Most close to me are loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. Coins and anything that would be good basically come up much the same as pull tabs and bottle caps. I've done decent at areas that are permissions but park for me the machine has been absolutely terrible. I know parks are generally not easy but still with say my AT Pro I could often tell a coin from a pull tab but hasn't been the case with the Deus. Perhaps I just have more to learn but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having much problems with mine in the parks. Pull tabs almost always come in at the same number. Coins have a more solid "hit" to them. Bottle caps "burp". The only thing no machine will get around are aluminum screw on caps. And belted aluminun blobs. Could be gold.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having much problems with mine in the parks. Pull tabs almost always come in at the same number. Coins have a more solid "hit" to them. Bottle caps "burp". The only thing no machine will get around are aluminum screw on caps. And belted aluminun blobs. Could be gold.
For some reason I can't make out a difference. I use the hot program with the x y screen. I even tried lower frequencies to see if it'd give me a more accurate look at what I'm digging but it didn't really help. So not sure what I'm doing wrong. So much is close to what coins come up as even tried moving the coil slowly away to try to get a size and shape idea but hasn't really helped.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also regarding numbers and sounds pull tabs on mine have come up as solid 95-97 depending on depth so not digging those higher numbers misses all kinds of stuff. I mind you use a HF coil but even bumping the frequency down hasn't shown to help. So I'm at a loss so far

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the first lessons I learned when I started metal detecting, lo these 50+ years ago, was DIG EVERYTHING! Of course to be truthful, with the metal detectors back then you had to dig everything to find anything!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the first lessons I learned when I started metal detecting, lo these 50+ years ago, was DIG EVERYTHING! Of course to be truthful, with the metal detectors back then you had to dig everything to find anything!
Not going to happen in some of these parks around here unfortunately if i dug everything I'd never find anything but bottle caps and pull tabs some of these areas are completely and utterly infested with them. I'd be digging every second if I tried to dig everything

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a park in Baltimore a few years ago. After awhile (an hour) I could tell the zincolns from pulltabs from coins. Even got a great 1864 cent down 10". The aluminum screw on bottle caps - forget it. I like the elliptical best for parks.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a park in Baltimore a few years ago. After awhile (an hour) I could tell the zincolns from pulltabs from coins. Even got a great 1864 cent down 10". The aluminum screw on bottle caps - forget it. I like the elliptical best for parks.
I was using my elliptical hf coil. I guess I just need more practice

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thw Hot program picks up just about everything. Sounds like you need to put in some notches. City park probably notch out up to 42 and then put one or two narrow ones at the worst pull tab offenders. Clive Clynick has some good books, one on jewelry hunting and one on the DFX has some good info. There's a lot to learn. Another thing you can do is work the areas just outside the heavy trash. Just a little easier on your ears and gives you a chance to learn some stuff. Andy Sabisch has a book on the Deus. Get the latest version. Might find some stuff here:

https://www.metaldetectingworld.com/xp_deus_settings_explained.shtml

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thw Hot program picks up just about everything. Sounds like you need to put in some notches. City park probably notch out up to 42 and then put one or two narrow ones at the worst pull tab offenders. Clive Clynick has some good books, one on jewelry hunting and one on the DFX has some good info. There's a lot to learn. Another thing you can do is work the areas just outside the heavy trash. Just a little easier on your ears and gives you a chance to learn some stuff. Andy Sabisch has a book on the Deus. Get the latest version. Might find some stuff here:

https://www.metaldetectingworld.com/xp_deus_settings_explained.shtml
Thank you for the information I shall check that out

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with the ORX. No matter what I tried it read tabs like a coin. I dug hundreds in the trashy parks I frequent. I could not get a clue to avoid them. Good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tabs are almost a "77" or "78" on the HF coil. But...gold can hit right there too.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a good video. Note he is using Full Tones. Remember you can set a program like this next to your main program to get a second opinion on a target.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take this video as gospel truth. Dig the suspected trash targets for a while until you feel confident that you aren't going to miss something good.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XY screen can help with aluminum in the gold range. More advanced skill some people say you can hear the wavering sound of aluminum but if you look on the XY screen it is easier to see it and hear the wavering at the same time. So the XY can help you learn those sounds of aluminum. Small can slaw you just have to dig. Not that much of it most places. Clive's books are the best.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the title of this thread shoud be "Difficulties finding gold in amongst aluminum trash". This is not just a Deus problem, it's an every metal detector problem. The Deus has very accurate VDI so you can see the difference between a nickel and a pull tab. And the audio is the best.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own the Deus but I hunt with the ORX on Program 3 aka Deus Fast in the parks with Iron Audio on and I turn Sensitivity down to 80 or less in the really trashy areas. I can't tell pop tabs or nickels unless I commit to only digging solid numbers like 65 and even then its not perfect. But I can tell bottle caps most of the time by wiggling the coil slowly back off the target and if there is even the faintest iron audio grunt 95% of the time it's a bottle cap and I skip over it. If its a park I'm only going to once I will cherry pick but if I'm committed to finding gold I will dig those low #'s if they are not jumpy and give iron audio.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This could be just a me problem but so far finding my Deus XP nearly useless in parks around here. Most close to me are loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. Coins and anything that would be good basically come up much the same as pull tabs and bottle caps. I've done decent at areas that are permissions but park for me the machine has been absolutely terrible. I know parks are generally not easy but still with say my AT Pro I could often tell a coin from a pull tab but hasn't been the case with the Deus. Perhaps I just have more to learn but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
No, you probably doing the right thing, just that parks do have a huge amount of junky targets, however, they are in the same id numbers as good stuff...!
That's a fact.
I have same problem with my new Simplex in parks.
The sounds are different a bit, so that clue, plus swing at a different approach, and see if same......gotta be consistent to dig......
GL+HH
eyemustdig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread