Digging deeper dfx

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my dfx about six months ago and have been trying to learn it I also got digging deeper with the dfx book . Although complex for my brain I'm slowly learning it but find a lot of things confusing- to say the least ! I've found some nice stuff with it but I can see why some get frustrated as it can be aggravating if it's not set correctly. Anyway I'm looking for someone to ask a few questions I have been reading the book and went to my property that I'm detecting and tried to get the grounds vdi # which was around -91.5 (-88 to -93) but most reading was -91.4 then I tried to find out the ground mineralization strength and I think I did it correctly and those numbers were -90.4,-90.7,-91.2 depth 9.5-10.5 one reading 8.5. Am I correct in using 3 kHz ? If I'm looking for silver coins or would 15 kHz be better or both frequencies? Also with those numbers are there any other settings I should adjust I read sweep speed 1 ground filter 3 any help would be appreciated also do those readings mean it's low mineralization and if so that should be a good thing ?

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to whites form. Look at the posts for DFX. Also feel free to ask questions, you will get a reply

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have a dfx, but I don't use it a lot anymore. When I did, I used to hunt in 3 kHz when I wanted to find silver. It will run both frequencies at the same time as you probably know, but for me I found more silver when running the single 3 khz setting. I also ran with vdi normalization off if i remember correctly, and this would pull the vdi numbers down to where a silver dime would read about like a clad dime, otherwise they would come in higher in my ground. If i still used it daily, I could tell you more but it is still one of the better detectors out IMO.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can run 3kHz without EMI making it yammer like crazy you are very lucky. Personally I set my DFX up wide open (accepting -88 to +95) tone id on 15Khz only... seems to work best for me. 15K goes deepest, if I had a site where I found lots of goodies, I would work a 6x6 are in 3Khz then again in 15Khz to see what I can find..

You will find reading a page and then again the next day will help you learn what the book is telling you.. I kept mine on the back of the toilet.. read it 3 time cover to cover in this manner..
Good luck!

OP
OP
W

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I've done the same I'll need to read it like 10 times though I learn quicker when someone shows me how to do it . It definitely is confusing I see the capabilities of it I can't wait to get comfortable with all the settings I've been using it and finding stuff I know how to change preamp/ac send/and D.C. Sens and a couple other things the rest I'm afraid to change I guess I should just start messing with them that's how I will learn thanks for all the help I appreciate it greatly!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely no DFX expert because I don't own one, but I have studied the manual. There are a lot of similarities between the DFX and the XLT which I have used for 15 years. I really like the level of program ability of both machines because to me its fun! I was able to play with that XLT and keep tweaking it for 5-6 years. Keep in mind that when you get just one program up and running you'll start finding goodies others missed. After everything was said and done I finally ended up using Foxes programs in my XLT. DFX programs can also be found on the White's Forum under DFX. Just a note of encouragement, relax, enjoy, and find more than most with your White's DFX. H Digs!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread