What's new

Digital Pocket scales

Newfiehunter

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
744
Reaction score
342
Golden Thread
0
Location
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you use those digital pocket scales for measuring rings? If so, are they reasonably accurate and what is the best one for purchase? Thanks.
 
I bought one. It became junk in less than six months. Don't know the name right off. choose well! TTC
 
I bought one for measuring small amounts of gold and silver. It functioned reasonably well for about a year, then it would not work.

I opened it up and looked at it. The battery leads were put on and designed in such a manner that they got shorn through and cut off by the plastic forming the case. I reattached them and it worked again.

It functions off and on now after a few tries. It is weird how they made these so rinky dink and cheap, and they cost so much money. I think it has to do with their primary market use, which is probably in the drug trade.


I just opened it up to see what was going on and one of the batteries seems to have had a electrolyte issue and seeped out a little, so I will have to get another 4 out from my car or somewhere to test it.

I bought mine off E-bay and it was I think a factory reject or return that they fiddled with and got to work. Badly manufactured. If one company could go in and make these reliable, they would make a name for themselves in the business.


So they are not that reliable. A postage scale would work just as well, not ever need batteries, and would not suddenly stop functioning for no apparent reason.
 
I bought mine for 10 bucks and it works well. I check it against the dealers one that I sell to. You can see a picture of it on some of the posts I made in the garage sale finds of this forum............Scott.
 
I also got a cheap one (E-Bay) tempted by both price and the extended warrantry it offered over some others. Stainless steel tray, choice of 5 weighing units, a Tare function to re calibrate in necessary, back light, carry case etc. Plus it uses 2x AAA batteries rather than hearing aid types that can be difficult to get in some parts of the world. Unfortunately no brand name on case or the original box as with lots of Chinese products.

Checked it when it arrived and accuracy is and remains good so I'm happy with it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom