Digitial Cameras for coins and relics

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I'd just thought I'd post this as an FYI. I see lots of people mention their camera does not take good close up/macros.. have problems with it etc... I have gone through quite a few cameras in the last 20 years... and I kept my first digital camera.. a Nikon CoolPix 950 just for relics and coins! It is a pretty cheap camera on ebay these days... only 2.1 meg.. but it takes great macros!!! Easy as anything to use!! Just about every pic I have posted on here was taken with it. I also have a Nikon D70s and a Nikon D200.. with a great macro lens.. and I still use the Coolpix.. it is just easier.. the size of the pictures is just right in low res mode.. and they are cheap as anything on ebay... I'll seen them sell for as little as $25!! Can't beat that! I usually throw in in a zip lock baggie and keep it in my backpack I use for digging whe I have to hike form my Jeep... I just ahte to see people go out to a big box retail and drop hundreds and still not be able to get good macros!!

I've been shooting for 26 years... since I was 16.. so if anyone has questions.. fire away!!!

MonkeyBoy

I have been through 4 digital cameras in 3 years. I dont recommend taking them detecting, as the sand will kill the zoom. I learned the hard way.

I have had problems with the macro on a few different cameras. It is difficult to get the cameras to focus except in bright daylight. I have found this to be especially true on the Olympus cams. Fuji is somewhat better, and the Canon Elph has been the best. It focuses very sharply with no problems at all.

I have a minolta , just too clumsy , also an olympus fe190 and its nice and compact ,for macro i find its always best to use a small tripod to get sharp pictures

Neil in West Jersey said:
I have been through 4 digital cameras in 3 years. I dont recommend taking them detecting, as the sand will kill the zoom. I learned the hard way.

I have had problems with the macro on a few different cameras. It is difficult to get the cameras to focus except in bright daylight. I have found this to be especially true on the Olympus cams. Fuji is somewhat better, and the Canon Elph has been the best. It focuses very sharply with no problems at all.

True.. but the Collpix has seen some hard times and come out ok!!! I hit it with a can of air to blast it clean.. and I did disassemble it one time... err twice.. I installed an IR filter... used it... like the IR a lot.. and took it out and put it in a Coolpix 5400... I cleaned it when it was apart but it was not bad at all... I bought it about 3 months after they came out and shot a lot of pics on it!!! Good cameras.. Nikons...

MonkeyBoy

just-geese said:
I have a Coolpix 950 that the wife picked up at a garage sale for $10, great camera for macro...Only problem is the battery door is messed up and won't stay closed, I have seen this problem with several that are for sale on the Bay
Don

Seen that too... the latch breaks.. duct tape works wonders!!! ;-) for $10.. great deal!!!!

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back