Dime Addicts: How long in months did it take you to get $250 face silver?

3 days....................................................................................................................... let's see, it was 1962 had a paper route

3 days....................................................................................................................... let's see, it was 1962 had a paper route

Man you must be kicking yourself thinking about how much silver has passed through your hands and went into circulation! Neat story though.

HH

started doing dimes the first week of march and have been doing about 4 boxes a week. so far i have 22 FDR, 1 mercury, 1 80% canadian. I can see how dimes start to add up. I hope to hit a 100 by september, guess thats all gonna depend on how much i do. Will be picking up 5 boxes before work tomorrow. good luck.

I don't do dimes anymore but I am intrigued to see what my average was, i think I have 500+ of them. I'll try to figure that out tonight or tomorrow.

Man you must be kicking yourself thinking about how much silver has passed through your hands and went into circulation! Neat story though.

HH

I don't think anyone would kick themselves for spending silver when it was still minted. Everyone had to live, and had bills to pay.. the purchasing power was the same then as now, for example, two silver dimes bought a gallon of gas in the 60's, and they will do so today with their metal content.

When I was young, and didn't understand this, I asked my grandpaw why he didn't save more morgan dollars, or even gold coins before 1933, and his answer was basically: "We were poor farmers, if we had a coin like that, we used it to keep living".

Old pic - about 2-3 years old - veteran forum members have seen it before, but I thought I'd share for the new hunters here. The stash has probably doubled since.

Image034.jpg

DD,

Just curious, how much face value is that? How much is from CRH and how much from Dirt Fishing?

HH

LOL Diver_Down I been waiting for that!

Seriously, has anyone found $250 face silver dimes?

Last edited:
DD,

Just curious, how much face value is that? How much is from CRH and how much from Dirt Fishing?

HH

None from dirt fishing. The Old Cigar Box picture is all from CRH'ing. I have a silver Rosie and Merc from years of beach hunting. The Merc was as shiny as the day it was minted. It was found in the top inch of sand where the college age kids on spring break parked. I reckon one of these "smart" college kids received it in change and had no idea what it was. They probably mumbled something along the lines of "Damn, foreign coins" as it was chucked into sand.

If I had focused my hunting of dimes on a goal, then I easily could have amassed $250 fv. I just don't bother. Dimes are something that I only hunt on the beach. The lighting is perfect. I grab a box and search when I'm taking a break from swinging the detector. Dump bank is at the end of the access ramp. I grab a box once a month or so. I enjoy searching dimes as they consistently produce. I just am not motivated. I have dimes here and there that I just chuck into a drawer. If I was to ever punch my ticket early, my family would more than likely clean out drawers and closets and turn in the silver to repeat the cycle.

None from dirt fishing. The Old Cigar Box picture is all from CRH'ing. I have a silver Rosie and Merc from years of beach hunting. The Merc was as shiny as the day it was minted. It was found in the top inch of sand where the college age kids on spring break parked. I reckon one of these "smart" college kids received it in change and had no idea what it was. They probably mumbled something along the lines of "Damn, foreign coins" as it was chucked into sand.

If I had focused my hunting of dimes on a goal, then I easily could have amassed $250 fv. I just don't bother. Dimes are something that I only hunt on the beach. The lighting is perfect. I grab a box and search when I'm taking a break from swinging the detector. Dump bank is at the end of the access ramp. I grab a box once a month or so. I enjoy searching dimes as they consistently produce. I just am not motivated. I have dimes here and there that I just chuck into a drawer. If I was to ever punch my ticket early, my family would more than likely clean out drawers and closets and turn in the silver to repeat the cycle.

Just did a rough count based on the picture alone. Each full tube holds a little more than $10 fv. I easily have doubled the amount since the picture was taken. So I guess I have amassed a bit over $250 fv. give or take $10 fv.

I'm at 60 bucks worth over a "few" years, 65 if you count canadian. I've heard stories of people doing 250 in one (very lucky) pickup

HH
-GC

I probably have $5-$10 from box hunting. The big find were ten rolls of CWR silver dimes earlier this year, which is around the time I started becoming more aggressive with my dime hunting. I have perhaps another $5 from other CWRs.

I've been on a very long skunk streak with Brinks boxes--a few weeks ago I found 22 in a box from last year, but since then, I've probably only found another 15 or so out of at least 20 boxes.

I'm at $228.50 but its taken several years. Last year I got almost $100 but that was probly 9 mos of 40 boxes/wk. I'm at $53.40 so far this year (thas still doing 40 boxes/wk or more). BTW $200fv makes a Crown Royal bag look like a purple soft ball. HH all, Mark

I'm at $228.50 but its taken several years. Last year I got almost $100 but that was probly 9 mos of 40 boxes/wk. I'm at $53.40 so far this year (thas still doing 40 boxes/wk or more). BTW $200fv makes a Crown Royal bag look like a purple soft ball. HH all, Mark

mmmmmm crown :-)

I've been hunting dimes in earnest for a little over a year now. I have found about $65 FV. But.... $50 of that came in one score last fall.

HH

Over the last 10 months
$40 face in silver dimes, (FDR, Merc)
Almost a complete collection of Silver FDRs missing 6 out of 48 (49,52S,53S,54S,55,55S)

So I thing $250 face value will take 5-6yrs

Yea gonna have to get ME another bag, getting worried about this one holding the weight. HH Mark

I'll help you drink it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back