What's new

Dimes vs. Halves

packfan_1982

Full Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
230
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I've started doing dimes since the last 7 boxes of halves have been skunks. Was supposed to pick up 2 boxes today but they forgot to put my order in so I brought home 4 boxes of dimes. I found 8 silver in the first box and was pretty stoked, skunked on the next then 3 more from the last 2 boxes. Is 1 or 2 silver per dime box about standard? I've just gotten tired of getting skunked on the halves.
 
Upvote 0
I would say 1 or 2 per box is "average". Probably closer to 1 per box than 2 in my experiences.

You will get a lot of boxes with 2+, but also A LOT of them will be skunks as well.

~Dave
 
If I get so addicted to CRHing that I ever start searching for dimes, please have me committed. At about a buck per dime, you could do better recycling aluminum cans.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
If I get so addicted to CRHing that I ever start searching for dimes, please have me committed. At about a buck per dime, you could do better recycling aluminum cans.

Jim
LOL.................
 
Well lately it seems like its either get nothing with halves or 1 or 2 with dimes... do what ya gotta do I guess
 
I can go through a box of dimes in like 10 minutes flat... beats my half box by a lot, and like the OP, I get NOTHING from half boxes lately, so the 1 dollar for silver beats the nothing from halves.

And those darn aluminum cans aren't worth as much as they used to be!

I had like one and half giant black construction bags full and only made $10!

~Dave
 
jim4silver said:
If I get so addicted to CRHing that I ever start searching for dimes, please have me committed. At about a buck per dime, you could do better recycling aluminum cans.

Jim

Some people make $800 a month going through trash dumpsters for recyclables.....FaCT! :icon_study: :tongue3:
 
alpha105 said:
jim4silver said:
If I get so addicted to CRHing that I ever start searching for dimes, please have me committed. At about a buck per dime, you could do better recycling aluminum cans.

Jim

Some people make $800 a month going through trash dumpsters for recyclables.....FaCT! :icon_study: :tongue3:


Exactly.....I was only half kidding. (No pun intended)

Jim
 
BBcardsRI said:
I can go through a box of dimes in like 10 minutes flat... beats my half box by a lot, and like the OP, I get NOTHING from half boxes lately, so the 1 dollar for silver beats the nothing from halves.

And those darn aluminum cans aren't worth as much as they used to be!

I had like one and half giant black construction bags full and only made $10!

~Dave
I hear ya buddy! I'm now in this as a collector, not a hoarder. I've almost completed my silver Roosevelt folder, out of 30 boxes of dimes....As a bonus I'm also finding dimes 100 years old. For me, now, it's all about quality. AMC
 
Nice work AMC!

As far as the scrap metal... diggin through recycling bins and such is a risky business. Some people around here have been doing it and leaving the trash around on the ground around the bins... cops aren't happy about it and have actually arrested some people for it lately.

With metals going up stuff like that happens a lot more. Lots of old crappy looking pickups trolling the streets at weird hours with beds full of junk. ;)

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
Nice work AMC!

As far as the scrap metal... diggin through recycling bins and such is a risky business. Some people around here have been doing it and leaving the trash around on the ground around the bins... cops aren't happy about it and have actually arrested some people for it lately.

With metals going up stuff like that happens a lot more. Lots of old crappy looking pickups trolling the streets at weird hours with beds full of junk. ;)

~Dave


When I was in college the town had a mandatory 10 cent deposit on all cans and bottles, thus it was very common to see "dumpster divers", usually almost homeless going thru trash to collect the cans and bottles to cash in. Pretty sad sight it was. I would never advocate collecting cans to make money.

My view is that if I am CRHing to make money, I better make at least minimum wage level amounts of money or give up the hobby, unless of course I am doing it for pure joy. But if I am getting nothing but skunks then I am not making minimum wage plus not having much fun as far as hobby stuff goes.

Although I have cut back on the CRHing, I did "relapse" a bit this past week and it showed me why this hobby can be a real time killer. My business allows me to bring in anywhere from 75 to 250 per hour, depending on the particulars of the assignment, thus for me to spend half a day chasing skunk boxes is not a good thing. I do love finding the silver though when I do find a good box, and I am a firm believer in silver and gold at least for the next few years.

Jim
 
I hadn't tried the dimes but this thread got me interested. Picked up a box today and $100 in customer rolls. Found 5 roosevelts and a mercury dated 1929. Might have to try a few more boxes until I get skunked out.
 
LOL! If I ever get so addicted to CRHing that I'm searching penny boxes, please have me committed! jk/AMC
 
HEY! I search pennies!

Not like the guy who claims to have searched 1.7million of them this year so far, but I've managed to scrap together about $100 in copper face and a nice little hoard of wheaties in addition to that to hold onto and see what happens with copper prices/the melt ban/and value of copper pennies to collectors.

~Dave
 
I do dimes when my halves get real bad. In all i average about 1-2 per box. Thank god ive only gotten like 3-4 skunks out of like 20-30 boxes. So far ive found like 54 Roosies and 4 Mercs.
 
BBcardsRI said:
HEY! I search pennies! Not like the guy who claims to have searched 1.7million of them this year so far, but I've managed to scrap together about $100

I am up to about 700,000 cents searched in less than one year. I have about 125,000 coppers hoarded away. Any body want to buy 800+ pounds of copper? ;D
 
Just finished 10 boxes of dimes today. 32 silvers total, 3.2 average per box, although the first box gave me 11, and another gave 7. One skunk box. 28 Roose, 1 merc, 3 Canadians. Finally got 1 '68 silver Canadian out of tons of '68 duds. AMC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom