Directv dumps weather channel. No more Prospectors show

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Directv dumps weather channel. No more 'Prospectors' show

As of midnight tonite, directv is dropping the weather channel. They claim too many customers complained that there was not enough weather and too many reality shows like 'Prospectors'. Which is quite true. My job is affected by the weather everyday. I like to turn to the weather channel to see weather. Not to see another reality show. Ive only seen prospectors once or twice, but i imagine there are those who really like it. Too bad they dont drop the channels with the poor detecting shows !

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hadn't posted this, I wouldn't have even noticed.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have Time Warner and we get weather channel withProspectors. Enjoyable, but I miss the weather coverage too...

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I called to complain about the Weather Channel being dropped; I was told not to worry about it, that negotiations would work it out. I got a notice a couple of weeks ago that there would be an increase in my bill; so I complained about that. I said with an increase and some of the channels that I want to see occasionally, were being dropped, maybe I should just drop tv and use the computer. THAT brought a response! I told the lady that although I don't watch tv a lot, I did like to see the local channels at times. She offered me a package that was about $55 less than I was paying, AND had most of the channels that I watch. I will miss some of the sports channels during college football season. Of course, a lot of the games are broadcast on the local channels. I understand that all the providers are beginning to lose customers quite rapidly. I may be one of the next to go!!!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on Prospectors shortly after it started.
too much wa-Wa-wa & drama over competition
when they see someone in the area doing what they are.
and calling them claim jumpers.

& I agree Weather channel should be weather,
just like MTV should be Music,
American Movie Classics should be Classic Movies, etc..
not stolen ideas from other channels.

If I put the weather Channel on I expect to see my Local weather on the 8's

Not some Cranky old Millionare lady digging rocks and crying that someone is stealing food out of her kids mouths by picking up a rock too :tongue3:

Or some one being rescued from a Flood that happened a hundred years ago :(

No weather channel isn't weather anymore unfortunately
but I doubt comcast will drop them

as for the Detecting shows on the other channels, I think the whole bottom colapsed on detecting shows. I Haven't seen any of them even advertised for a long time

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The providers are all the same. I live in the mountains and all I can get is Dish Network. I just got a notice in the mail that my bill is going up $5 in Feb due to increased cost of having local channels. Meanwhile I haven't been able to watch my local NBC channel for the past 2 months due to some silly contract negotiations they are in with Bonten Media Group. They even have a "special" announcement when you turn to that channel blaming Bonten for the stalled negotiations. Umm... hello.... Dish... It's YOU I pay, it's YOU I have a contract with, YOU just hit me up for another 5 bucks a month. I don't want excuses about who's fault it is, I want YOU to fix it....

sanddigger

Mar 25, 2012
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
beach hunter 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, all if I want to see what the weather is like I Just look out of my widow ! Today it is raining out On Long Island N.Y.
That my Two-cent.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they rarely show my local weather on that channel anyway, maybe they should just go ahead and change format to the PROSPECTOR'S CHANNEL! Then I might watch it again...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, I liked the weather channel. It showed my zip code weather forecast and I could get it during the other offerings by pushing the red button.
The big problem is between the weather channel and Direct TV over money. The weather channel is owned by NBC same as some cable networks. So there's money and politics involved, two very volitle subjects. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't have time to wait through ten minutes of commercials and part of a program about the perfect storm to get the 5 day forecast! Weather.com requires none of that....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard they dropped the channel because of cost in re negotiating the contract.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes this was over the cost.Which leads us back to the bottom line money..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I sure missed that red button that got me the weather in my zip code last night. The weather is also missing from the activity button, must have been furnished by weather channel. I had to sit thru 2 commercials and the weather for the rest of the US before I got mine. Frank... Funny face-flower.jpg

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Samsung Note 3 phone and the weather app is much more accurate than the weather channel. I am sure it was not discontinued because of the metal detecting programs, please!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I want the weather I have a professional weather station setup, Local TV stations, weather radio, Computers/tablets and police scanner. I do not need the weather channel for anything.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure it was not discontinued because of the metal detecting programs, please!

I do agree.

I think it was just last year directv dropped (or at least threatened to drop) IFC & Sundance among others
claiming their customers want value.
sure some channels should be dropped simply because they are offensive to a large group of the population,
but IFC for one does carry some good uncut movies.
I believe directv is only hurting themselves, advertising they have more then cable but
in print have less.

One of these carriers has to stand up & say $19.95 straight fee a month, Plus 20 cents
a piece for all the channels you choose to get. even $1.00 a chanel
would work. I could whittle my channels down to about 10

& the only network I watch is CBS, & then only when a new "Big bang" is on,
or the "weather guess" of the day

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread