disappointing weekend - hating on halves!

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010
Well ill start off with a positive. last week was a full dime-only week and i did pretty well. must have pulled out a good 15 dimes throughout the whole week, including 2 more mercs!

And then the weekend started. I picked up 2 dime boxes and a box of quarters on saturday. I had just dumped a bunch of change at the commercial coin counter, chatted up the teller asking us 'why all the dimes'? He mentioned as a reply that wed have much better luck with quarters and halves. Also heard about the mythical 7k of halves in a week guy that consistently dumps there, of whom i thought i saw unloading just as we were leaving (in a lexus of all things).

1st box of dimes - skunk
2nd box - 3 roosevelts
1 box of quarters - skunk.

Feeling miffed about the dime box skunk, i picked up two more boxes on sunday.

1st box - skunked
2nd box - 2 roosevelts

not very good - ive been averaging almost 1 silver dime for every 100$ in rolled coins ive been getting.

Monday rolls around, and my bank calls and tells me my halves are FINALLY in (after about a 2 week delay with mismanaged coin ordering and 'special coins' delay.) Both boxes were skunks. This establishes a 4 box skunk streak with halves now.

Heres the angering part of it. Half of the coins ive sorted through on the latest box all had different color sharpies markings on them, some rolls full of all marked coins. Conclusion? Im definitely eating someones skunks getting resupplied into the system locally. Ive got two more boxes ordered for Wednesday, which if both supply skunks and high rates of sharpied coins, i will probably quit searching halves in this area altogether. (dumping them are the biggest pain)

**Even more bad news. I went out to a few banks after dumping some of the skunks from the w/e. Looking to buy 4 boxes of dimes. after hitting up 5 banks, not one of them could afford to or flat out refused as a non-account holder to sell me even a single box of dimes. Had to settle for a box of quarters instead, which to my amazement i pulled out a single silver quarter from '43.

Dimes have still been the best producer for me. I might try to pick up more volume in quarters as well, however if i keep getting skunked on this weeks Halves im done with them forever, at least via bank rolled boxed orders.

Sounds like some of you have had much better luck than I - hopefully i can borrow some of your luck in the near future :)

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
You are doing alright with the dimes. Most half dollar boxes have marked coins but that doesn't always mean it's going to be a skunk.
Nice score on the quarter. Those are the real tough boxes to do. Every once in a while someone will pull a good quarter box.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions