What's new

dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8s

jewelerdave

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
850
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Well so far this has been a disapointing week compared to the last few bonanza weeks.
One bank forgot to order my some halves. Another bank just ran out, and I killed the last $80 in the vault of a good producer that would only sell $100 worth per week
It was so bad I had to resort to dimes witch did provide ok,
So far this week after searching almost 4k in change I have found a whopping 9 40s and 1 90, and I scored about 7 silver dimes.

One kinda cool thing though, my totals for Kens 90% are 88
and the total for my kens 40% are 888. Maybe its because I h8te bad weeks! lol


Oh ME CO the boxes were also dated Nov 6th you said yours were bad too with that date? Also did a lot of yours have blue marks on them?


Ht 2007 CRH Total: 11 20 07
War Nickels – 6
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 22
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 88
40% Kennedy - 888
Franklins - 61
Walkers - 16
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves – 37
of witch are Silver Proofs 12

Ikes - 45​
 
Upvote 0
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

I don't recall blue marks- mostly black and a few red, a few green too. We will get through these "new" boxes soon I hope. Dam cold today and the first snow. Traffic is a nightmare, wrecks everywhere. Telling people to stay home if they don't have to go out- well I got a couple of bank stops to make later, two boxes at each- this was important officer haha. Last night on the news they talked about the anti-skid they put down yesterday afternoon. Seems they got a bad batch and caused accidents during rush hour haha. Instead of anti-skid they got anti-stop. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

oh god I hate it when they put down the anti skid, its just KCl or potassium chloride. I dont know whats worse, the slush it makes under the snow or the night before when they put it down and other cars kick it up onto your windshield and you cant see crap!

I have seen the red and green and black marks all the time, the red and green ones are obnoxious. The blue are new, I have not seen them before, I found out that there are some other CRH's up here as one bank I went to said they order regularly for there customers. Probably the same guy who caused some of the banks up here to do a $100 limit for collectors as he was dumping them back at the same bank...dumb thing to do.

Either way I am not too worried about it, two bits of news that are always good, I had to swing into an auto parts store and paid in halves. the guy there said hey cool, more werid stuff to deposit.
Really? he told me how a lot of people who have to get parts to fix there cars have to dig deep in there closets to get money so old and weird stuff comes in all the time, silver, buffalo nickels etc. he pulled em out and gives them to his wife. So on that note...
I have a feeling with the xmas season a lot of people are going to bring in change so they can either buy presents or pay bills. I think that the pallets at the fed are going to be stacking up rather than getting deeper, this may explain why boxes have been kinda bad lately, but also some of the banks up here order halves only for the holidays as people give them as gifts. either way xmas means a lot of change moving around with people cashing in, stores giving out more for busy transactions, and stores ordering to give change. A lot of money is going to be moving around very shortly! making a good mix of things to find!
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Don't worry Dave, the boxes will be better in no time.
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Here! Here!

Red Thunder
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

My most recent boxes haven't been as good as in the past couple of months...Just keep looking!
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Another reason to try to get the bags out of the counters. I went to my 2 box a week CU today and the manager was talkative so we chatted- seems another branch was complaining about so many halves in the vault. Since my other branch didn't reorder for ME today I thought I would go see what someone was dumping. Well I got there and instead of getting halves I got an education on my competitions shananigans- very enlightening. Lady told ME that Loomis just picked up but several guys come in almost every day with boxes. I said you mean they reroll them to bring them in, she said yep and we have to bust them open and count them to ship em off. I knew they were dumps when I first heard of them but not boxed dumps. I told her to call me when she has some just to see what they're dumping. Thought I might clean her vault out for her to make another 2 box a week friend but I ain't buying that many dumps. That is why when I got 2 boxes at another branch last month the Head teller told me when you bring these back in you run them through the counter- don't reroll them. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

So what banks do you guys dump at? Here is where I dump. I will give you a hint that it is the former huge phone company credit union ;D They won't take loose bags and charge 8% to run em thru their coinstar machine >:(
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

ummm...no matter where you dump they all end up back at the fed or at a re rolling company. it does not really matter where you dump, they are mostly going too the same place and back in the system.
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

All I can say is since you and ME came on the scene my boxes have been getting worse and worse.


jewelerdave said:
ummm...no matter where you dump they all end up back at the fed or at a re rolling company. it does not really matter where you dump, they are mostly going too the same place and back in the system.
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Are you getting Brinks boxes? Square double layer? If so sorry. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

No they are flat boxes with yellow wrappers.
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

Well the good news is new silver is always going in. Its just hit and miss, a couple weeks ago I was getting nothing but skunks and then I hit a collection and in one week scored several hundred 40s and dozens of 90s. It all just depends when and where you hit, and also how much your doing, ME and I are probably collectively going though anywhere from 10k to 25k a week. Combine other CRH in the state it may add another 25k a week. On top of that is regular demand and use for a several state area!!! Not only that halves that are brought in and "cleaned" from all the road trips add too the amount going into the fed, so collectively there is probably more at the fed than there was before as I know I fill up several bags a week to be "re rolled" and yes I have gotten some of them back.
The bad news is that yes, there is competition. The good news is it seems things were good for you for a while and while it lasted. The other fact of life is all good things come to an end...or a decline, not to say that you wont still find silver, but it wont be like it used too so long as there are people out there that find this site, try it, hit with a good score and get hooked, its like the perfect drug.

In any case today while hitting the banks I saw a lot of people requesting coin rolls, I am thinking this is the start of a massive deposit of coin for holiday shopping, should bring in some new stuff. I mean even today at one business banking brach that I go into to pick up coin from I noticed some hand rolls, I asked if I could buy them all and they said sure, It was Quarters, Dimes, Nickels and cents, $98.50 worth to be exact, The average American has about $100 in change laying about according to one estimate I read.
I went though and found a 54 Dime and a Canadian. the rest was clad but I got the dime!

Keep in mind too the economy in this country is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. this is going to force people into hard positions and cause deeper digging. And we know what happens when older stuff hits. Also more people die during the holiday/Winter season, flu, stress, age, etc take its toll on the elderly, More people are born every year but more die every year as well, and the people who are dieing are of the generation that saved. And used silver coins as every day things. Some of them still use it from time to time and just dont know about the prices or dont care. Either way there is plenty of new stuff entering the system, particularly the worse things get...or even the better things get, money is always on the move.
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

cocrh said:
No they are flat boxes with yellow wrappers.
Then you are getting the same boxes we are. One box a week just isn't enough to feed the silver beast. Here's a tip- you said your full time job keeps you from searching more. TCF Bank has odd hours and weekends too, maybe give you more time to play with. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

I go through 8-10 boxes a week and where I used to get 15-20 avg per box these days it is 5-10 if even that. Yesterday a box coughed up only on 40%. The previous box was much better quaility but not quantity. 1 ben and 1 WL and a 64 with a few 40's sprinkled in. I have never found silver at TCF. They have these funky brown and black rolls with American something or another on em. I think they pick out the silver. Let me know if you have gotten any there. I started my penny searching there but they got stinky about it and then asked if I had an account. The end of it. I get plenty of supply from First and WF. Picking up 6 boxes tomorrow and 4 more Sat. Going to CS an pick up yours too ME ;D ;D

ME_CO said:
cocrh said:
No they are flat boxes with yellow wrappers.
Then you are getting the same boxes we are. One box a week just isn't enough to feed the silver beast. Here's a tip- you said your full time job keeps you from searching more. TCF Bank has odd hours and weekends too, maybe give you more time to play with. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

I haven't bought any from TCF, they were just a handy dump spot with self service coin counter. 8-10 boxes every week is more than I'm getting, two of my banks only get coin every two weeks and one of those will still only get $1000 at a time. I will have 8-10 next week but only 4 to 6 the next week. I have to buy and dump constantly as I don't have alot of cash. 10 box next two days? good help us dig that pallet down haha. HH Mark
 
Re: dismal week...but someting is better than nothing and Crazy 8's

I just started the 8-10 boxes a week a few weeks ago cuz pickens were getting slim. Before that I was happy with 4-6 boxes a week. ;D I guess I should qualify the 10 boxes in the next two days with "If they ordered them as requested :D" Last week many of my banks blew it and didn't order so have to make up for it today and tomorrow. We shall see.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom