Upvote 2

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try to figure out what happened after the gravel was deposited. Rounded or not with the stones you may want to sample. This most likely happened before the rest of the geology was formed around it. There is no real answers until one figures out what happened after the deposit of stones was made. The events will tell a story on it's own.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I gave my son the 5 acres that includes this and he has his house about 75% complete. The area is just above his back yard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like the general consensus is that if the gravel is rounded it has more than likely been a stream in the past because you can pretty much follow along it by the rounded gravel at or near the surface.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FOR GEOLOGISTS OR SEASONED PROSPECTORS: If you encounter a gravel layer on a ridge not near a current stream should we assume there was once a stream here or could it just have been a geological event sometime in the past that laid this layer down ??

It looks like the general consensus is that if the gravel is rounded it has more than likely been a stream in the past because you can pretty much follow along it by the rounded gravel at or near the surface.
Google tectonic history of north carolina.

Deposit is probably ancient streambed dating to before the creation of the mountain system it sits on.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the stones where angled and not rounded it should still be looked at because is could be from ice or some other event. It is likely old deposits.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mountains were shoved upwards. Some retain small portions of the alluvial gravel that was laying on the earths crust.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the stones where angled and not rounded it should still be looked at because is could be from ice or some other event. It is likely old deposits.
Great gold sometimes comes mixed in with softer semi angular rocks.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all of you for your knowledge and comments, it appears it was probably in fact an ancient stream sometime in the past.

OP
OP
B

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be an ancient Tertiary river system that are well known to have carried gold.Any fossils there?
No fossils, however have found European pottery which archaeologists indicate dated back to possibly as early as the 1700's and a Palmer clear quartz crystal arrowhead which I'm told dates back to 8500-9500 years ago.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No fossils, however have found European pottery which archaeologists indicate dated back to possibly as early as the 1700's and a Palmer clear quartz crystal arrowhead which I'm told dates back to 8500-9500 years ago.
Can you post a picture of that arrowhead to the NA forum? I’d like to see it and hear some info on it.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I gave my son the 5 acres that includes this and he has his house about 75% complete. The area is just above his back yard.
looks like power for a nice size trommel system isnt too far away, im just saying, LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions