DIY blue bowl

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i made some changes. i use chemical metal and sand it smooth.

I applaud your construction efforts.:icon_thumright:

An observation of your results......It looks like at least some of the gold in your pictures is greater in size than 30 to 50 mesh mixed with other stray particles much smaller in size. With less effort and time you could probably just pan for gold recovery some of the material if you were to classify first, and you may already be doing this to some extent. In fact if you felt it necessary to blue bowl some of the smaller mesh material, you would probably end up with cleaner results if you were to run each size fraction separately. My recommendation is to classify to these sizes: plus 30, 50, and plus and minus 100 mesh.* I think that is what the makers of the blue bowl recommend as well. When gold is about equal in size to other material in the pan it is relatively easy to separate out while panning. Each of the mesh sizes mentioned reduce particle size by about half. While panning small mesh sized material it is recommended to pan in small quantities and most usually do about a tablespoonful at a time.

Good luck in whatever you do.

* Inexpensive small classifiers (4-6") of these mesh sizes are available in the U.S. but may not be where you are. You may find it necessary to just obtain some screen material and make your own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grazjsw

Apr 3, 2014
Rovaniemi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I applaud your construction efforts.:icon_thumright:

An observation of your results......It looks like at least some of the gold in your pictures is greater in size than 30 to 50 mesh mixed with other stray particles much smaller in size. With less effort and time you could probably just pan for gold recovery some of the material if you were to classify first, and you may already be doing this to some extent. In fact if you felt it necessary to blue bowl some of the smaller mesh material, you would probably end up with cleaner results if you were to run each size fraction separately. My recommendation is to classify to these sizes: plus 30, 50, and plus and minus 100 mesh.* I think that is what the makers of the blue bowl recommend as well. When gold is about equal in size to other material in the pan it is relatively easy to separate out while panning. Each of the mesh sizes mentioned reduce particle size by about half. While panning small mesh sized material it is recommended to pan in small quantities and most usually do about a tablespoonful at a time.

Good luck in whatever you do.

* Inexpensive small classifiers (4-6") of these mesh sizes are available in the U.S. but may not be where you are. You may find it necessary to just obtain some screen material and make your own.

yeah there is bigger pieces i didnt have righ size mesh but now i ordered 50 mesh screen it should work.

I added lights :

Last edited:

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job pimping out your diy blue bowl! I bet the lighting really helps you view the process well. Good luck with your mods!

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice setup!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions