What's new

Do civil war reenactments mess you up detecting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bev
  • Start date Start date
B

Bev

Guest
I heard there was a reenactment in PA this weekend, does that really mess up metal detecting? Do you find stuff you think is real but maybe was from one of these reenactments?
 
When found dug items are in a more aged -oxidized condition.. I think moost relic hunters can tell the difference....Most of the reproduction buttons ..buckles ..belt plates the reenactors use look new compared to a dug item..I went to a reenactment &it was interesting to see the uniforms musket & field gear..Good hunting
 
I got a re-enactment replica dealie, that gave me a heart-attack. You have to remember that CW re-enactments and military history buff stuff, has been going on a long time. A few of the places that make accoutrements (buttons, buckles, etc...) for period costumes and re-enactments, have been around for 40+ yrs. So it's possible to find a "fake" that ....... could already have some corrosion on them, depth, etc....

I found this item in a location where some CW era CA militia had been stationed. It was a full 8 or 9" deep (albeit in moist soil ::) ) Durned near gave me a heart-attack! I found out afterwards, that some tell-tale solder marks gave it away as a modern replica. And doing my research, found out that re-enactments had occured here at this particular location. Doh!
 

Attachments

  • trip 041.webp
    trip 041.webp
    91.9 KB · Views: 205
  • trip 042.webp
    trip 042.webp
    91 KB · Views: 208
I can't even imagine what you must have felt! That must happen all the time down there, especially with newbie detectorists still learning! I would think the depth would cause you to think you had the real thing! Thank you so showing that to me!
 
Bev said:
I heard there was a reenactment in PA this weekend, does that really mess up metal detecting? Do you find stuff you think is real but maybe was from one of these reenactments?


Re enactments are mostly done in park areas or private lands that were close to or near original battlefields. So automaticlly the former is excluded from hunting, the later may or may not have had troops/relics. But at any rate, you can tale the difference between an artifact that was in the ground 150 yrs from one inthe ground 2 to five. etc.

Most productive period sites are deep in the woods, swamps or along an old road bed, and then again in construction sites, some times a plowed field, Reenactments
are unlikely to be held in such places.


Flood city Kid
 
Tom_in_CA said:
I got a re-enactment replica dealie, that gave me a heart-attack. You have to remember that CW re-enactments and military history buff stuff, has been going on a long time. A few of the places that make accoutrements (buttons, buckles, etc...) for period costumes and re-enactments, have been around for 40+ yrs. So it's possible to find a "fake" that ....... could already have some corrosion on them, depth, etc....

I found this item in a location where some CW era CA militia had been stationed. It was a full 8 or 9" deep (albeit in moist soil ::) ) Durned near gave me a heart-attack! I found out afterwards, that some tell-tale solder marks gave it away as a modern replica. And doing my research, found out that re-enactments had occured here at this particular location. Doh!
same here Tom at Kearny Park i found sum great stuff but it was from the reanactment. (did i spell that right) :icon_scratch:
 
I'm pretty sure real bullets and/or cannon balls are strictly forbidden in reinactments. Buttons and such may be found , but I doubt any bullets would be located. Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom