Do I need a new detector?

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. I've been thinking of selling coins to buy a new detector. I've settled on the Fisher F4. I haven't been able to find anything with my BH until recently. I've now found 2 wheat cents, a 1963 dime, about $2.00 of clad, a square nail, and a trade token for free soap that was made between 1926 and 1928. Now I'm starting to think maybe I don't need a new one. If I got that fisher would I really find that much more stuff? I cant help but wonder if I'm missing other stuff using my BH. Am I doing ok with my BH? I see some of the stuff that other people have found and wonder if I need a different detector. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably not....

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I think you would enjoy an upgrade! :thumbsup:

Compare these F4 features to your Pioneer> While it's true they all find stuff, some have more options that make it more enjoyable.
399.00 includes shipping is a darn good deal

11-Segment visual target identification and 4-tone audio I.D.
2-digit numeric target value
One Touch Notch immediately eliminates unwanted Targets
One-touch pinpoint with numeric depth readout
Coin depth indicator in motion search mode
Optional 8" Concentric and 11" DD earch Coisl Included
Weight - only 2.6 lbs including batteries
Ergonomic S-Handle design
Fisher's Deep -Seeking Autotune mode with Manual Ground Balance
Includes two 9 volt alkaline batteries
5 Year Warranty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some big rules of thumb are as you spend more or modernize you will get better depth, better trash rejection and/or discrimination, finer adjustments, better speed & seperation and more user controlled and adjustable features.

Do you need them? Probably not.

Will you appreciate them and enjoy the benefits? Probably.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Nope you don't need a new detector. You need to learn yours better and do a lot of research on areas to hunt. Take a look at Montana Jim's finds. He uses a bounty hunter and finds amazing items. Heck in my opinion he is kicking the crap out of a lot of these folks with $1000 detectors. Why? He knows his machine and locates and researches places to hunt.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Only you can answer your question. It does not matter how much your machine cost. What does matter is, if you, and your machine, bond. I can't explain the bonding in words.....it just happens...the two of you know each other....read each other (most times). A machine can only do so much....it needs a partner to help it do what it can't do on its on. When your machine does it's part and you do yours.....you are both going to shine.

Try a new place. The ones you have been trying might not have anything to find period. Give your machine a chance.....if you still feel unsatisfied then move up. But don't move up without giving your machine a fair chance. Good luck.....Pepper

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some big rules of thumb are as you spend more or modernize you will get better depth, better trash rejection and/or discrimination, finer adjustments, better speed & seperation and more user controlled and adjustable features.

Do you need them? Probably not.

Will you appreciate them and enjoy the benefits? Probably.

I am with Charlie on this one. Sure your BH can find some stuff, but the newer detectors also have the ability to give you more enjoyment out of using them. Try not to think of it in terms of how much stuff you find but in the more fun you can have using better equipement. :thumbsup:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I said what I did was not to say you don't need another detector, you might....
like they have said this is up to you....
But in my experience most machines will pick up the same signals if "Shown" the target, meaning
that if your friend is digging circles around you, its not your machines fault, its that you don't know
how to use the machine you have.....
That said, I have gotten a lot of things over the years, very nice things... like Silver Quarters and Half's...
I can't believe there is anyone here that can say to me that a "Radio Shack" detector would not have found
these targets if it had been used in the same place I was hunting......
So to me it sounds more like the places your hunting than the machine your using....
That said, many new people look at this forum and go....
WOW !! look at all the stuff these people are digging every day, but what you don't hear about are the
hundreds of sites I have hunted that produced nothing but some trash, the hours I have spent walking
in circles to find that one neat thing that looks so good in my box or on this forum...
Find a boarded up abandoned house and walk around it for a awhile and see if you find some better things...
If nothing, find another one....
My opinion is, if I find nothing in a place I'm hunting then I believe its already been hunted...
EVEN IF I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE OR SEEN ANYONE ELSE HUNTING IT
anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would hold off, dont think the f-4 would be any deeper, however the faster processor may help unmask targets, the f-5 is comming out soon, with some nice functions and is suppose to be deeper. i have a deep machince but most targets are only 2-4 in. in my areas, another thought is what type of soil conditions do you have, do you need a machine with gb?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
If you are convinced you will do better with a new machine, chances are you shall.

(It's like the 'makeover' thingy... it inspires confidence.)

Persistence will most likely get you more than anything, if your present machine is operating properly.

HH
rmptr

OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I had assumed that the older, better coins were deeper and I wasn't able to detect them with my BH. My trade token came from about 6 inches and everything else came from the 2 to 4 inch area. So even the older coins don't make it any deeper than this?

In other news, I was out detecting in my back yard yesterday. I got a signal that was jumping back and forth between large object, dime, and quarter. It registered at 4 inches. I got down to about 6 inches and still found nothing. This got me really curious what was in my back yard. I kept digging. I soon found something big, round and red. As I dug more I seen there was writing on this thing that said 6 pounds on the bottom and "(something) Bros" on the side. This big thing was an intact heavily rusted coffee can. Thought it was strange that an unbent coffee can would be underground so I got my hopes up that I found the mother load. I dug and dug. After I cut my finger on the can :'( and dug for about five minutes with my little shovel I soon found out that the can was just sitting on top of some sort of sewer clean out pipe. It was kind of exciting. Just a little story for ya.

I'm not sure I understand the ground balance thing. Is that to keep it level to the ground? What is it balancing? My BH has automatic ground balance(I think). I dont know how to answer the soil conditions question. Its good dark black soil.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to learn what you have first before thinking to upgrade. And it sounds like you are beginning to figure out the BH.
Its human nature to have buyers remorse and think that what you have isi'nt as good as the other brand.

Think about it
Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the money and the desire, I would go for it.

A 1988 Yugo will still take you to the beach, but that doesn't mean you want truly enjoy a better ride there... :thumbsup:

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
I have a 202. I was like you, thought I needed something better. I bought Tesoro Vaquero. I like it, but it hasn't found anything for me that the 202 doesn't find as well. I've been carrying them both around for weeks. I'm feeling guilty for buying it. I was going to give my 202 to a friend, but it's still here. I'm not sure which one I'm going to keep.

I think you should hang on to your 202 longer. Get to know it better. Learn more about metal detecting, and what you want to be able do with a detector. Read all the forums, ask questions, really get familiar with what's out there before you buy a new one. Enjoy your 202 in the meantime. It's a great detector. No reason for you to rush.

This page explains ground balancing. http://www.treasurefinders.net/ground_balancing.htm

You should read this thread. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,151693.0.html

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
SteveDodds said:
I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. I've been thinking of selling coins to buy a new detector. I've settled on the Fisher F4. I haven't been able to find anything with my BH until recently. I've now found 2 wheat cents, a 1963 dime, about $2.00 of clad, a square nail, and a trade token for free soap that was made between 1926 and 1928. Now I'm starting to think maybe I don't need a new one. If I got that fisher would I really find that much more stuff? I cant help but wonder if I'm missing other stuff using my BH. Am I doing ok with my BH? I see some of the stuff that other people have found and wonder if I need a different detector. Any ideas?
Here's an easy, inexpensive way to be sure. Tin Nugget tells you some of the features of the F4 but it will set you back $400+ For $160 I can ship you my Discovery 3300 which is almost identical to the F4 except for one or two less features which are not worth the huge difference in price. The 3300 has a 3-digit readout while the F4 has a 2-digit readout. And something about the Ground Balance which doesn't look that much different to me. And something about the DD coil which be a factor but then again the 3300 will find just about everything the F4 will find. Think about it. You save a ton!

SF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread