BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
Jim, since I asked this question I've learned that Fisher is coming out with an F-70 that sounds more like the type of machine I'm looking for. Apparently, it has the ability to run an audible threshold while in disc. mode and that's one of the most important features I value on my MXT. It allows me to pick out the deepest signals when they don't register on the LCD screen. The F-75 doesn't have that feature.

Also, early reports seem to indicate that the F-70 runs a little less noisy than the F-75. And, for what I would pay for an F-75, plus a couple hundred I can buy two F-70s. I'm not selling my MXT just yet, but I have high hopes that the F-70 will do the job that I need.

Less noisy is due to the coil of the 70 i beleave. I have a 75 and its one great machine. I can only imagine what the F70 coil would be like on the 75 for relicks.

Apparently, they are compatible, so you should be able to use an F-70 coil on the F-75.

Jim - Great synopsis. One thing . . .

Jim Hemmingway said:
, the unit seems a bit prone to old style steel bottlecaps despite a "bottlecap mode", some owners report a superlative non-motion all metal mode...which by the way also has visual target id.

I have found with my F-75, especially in bottlecap mode, that if you suspect a bottlecap you can take a swing at it like you were trying to decapitate a snake and the caps will fall apart on the VDI; dropping several points and returning different numbers depending on direction. Coins read the same. No kidding - I mean a truly fast and vicious sweep. Like five feet in one second.

I'm also really getting to like the "1F" tone mode. The signal pitch varies according to strength. You have to watch the VDI to find nickels (as opposed to the "h" tones that give high nickel tones) but otherwise it is a good simulation of my Musketeer Advantage when it comes to relics. A lot more audio help to complement the VDI. Bottlecaps and shotshell bases have a "click" or squeeky quality to the tone instead of a nice round coin tone.

Shallow aluminum screw caps buried flat - still sound like shallow quarters. >:( Into each life some rain must fall.

The avatar was doctored up for me as a surprise gift from Nick Pappagiorgio and djabend. I have no such talents myself. My abilities extend to dropping an image into MS Paint and drawing on it pixel by pixel. 20 years behind the latest tech. I don't have any photoshop software or techniques.

I'll do the foil experiment for you and report back.

I've gotten pretty good at knowing a coin from trash - I have dug 20 in a row with no "errors". It kills me, however, that I may be passing up some jewelry so on occasion I dig the better tab and foil signals . . . and fins tabs and foil.

I did find two silver rings so far this month that read odd but solid in about the brass shotshell base range so I still dig the occasional pulltab just to be sure. The shallow ones especially sound "good".

Howdy jim from the great white north..I hope you get a chance soon to get in some testing.I cant wait to hit
the local creeks and see what the small coil can do....james

:)my mxt because of the prospecting mode it is alittle noisy because it has a lot of gain but in reilic mode you here the nonmetalic over metalic so if the brass buckle is whith metal you wont here the metal just the non feris metal if that helps that how it was exspaind to me i dont no alot about the f-75 but with the mxt you can get the 18 supper coil which is lite and goes deep plus many other coils. go to kellyco there y the best.

"but with the mxt you can get the 18 supper coil which is lite and goes deep plus many other coils."

I know you're just being helpful so I don't want this to sound mean. I've been using an MXT for the last two years and I can tell you that unless you're built like a linebacker that 18" coil will get to you after hunting for very long and the swingy thing that everybody talks about just gets in way most of the time.

I was asking for a comparison between the two because I am very, very familiar with the MXT. I now have an F70 that I've been testing out and have an F75 on the way. From what I've been learning on the F70 (destined to be my wifes machine and my backup when she's not hunting with me) I've made the right choice about switching. This machine is everything I wish the MXT was and then some. The downside (and there always is one in my experience) is that the F70 can be noisy at times and you have to learn how to adjust it, just like you do any precision piece of equipment. If you don't like computers and working with them, you won't like this machine. I think too many people are looking for a turn on and go, no brainer machine, that will make them rich. The F7X series is not the answer, sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back