Digginmichigan

Nov 13, 2013
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this ornate box last night. Looks pretty old and is cracking in many areas. The question is: do I open it to see if anything is in it? The simple answer is yes of course, BUT i know it will destroy the cool box. What would you do? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486307750.904160.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486307766.703313.jpg

Upvote 13

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at it this way. If you are concerned about opening it might ruin it or its value, what happens if you don't open it? Maybe you clean it up and sell it, or sell it as is. In that case, whoever buys it might open it and find something valuable inside. If you plan on keeping it, and just sitting it on a shelf, the suspense will kill you. I would just go ahead and open it as carefully as you could, trying to preserve it if possible. But I'd open it for sure. I would not let someone else have the possible riches inside, nor would I just let it sit there always wondering. But that's just me..... ha

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell in that second picture, but it almost looks like the top is kind of split open? Will a flashlight reveal anything inside, or just dirt packed into the opening?

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Open it dude.

Church is on Sunday if you're scared

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you gonna decide using the popular vote or the electorial vote?

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any Thread starting with "DO I OPEN IT.." - you know 90% of the posts will be yes regardless of what it is :) Hell I said yes before I even clicked on the post....

So?

OP
OP
Digginmichigan

Digginmichigan

Nov 13, 2013
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I replied I opened it earlier. Empty. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486327490.662393.jpg

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer it was empty... I found one last year and it had an IHP inside (a really nice one!). Folks apparently did use them for storing tidbits.

MatchsafeWithCent.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could there be a clue inside about the oak island treasure?
Could metal that old have been left by the templars?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the piece you must see that piece!!!! treasure maps were written not just on stones, no......but everywhere mans eye can see!!! The Templar treasure looms in the inner retna of the eye the clue I see is The monkey poops in the midnight sun of the lying lizard!!!!!! Follow this clue to the treasure!!!!!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you been able to find hallmarks on it ? look at the rim that the lid closes over . Any idea what the metal is ? I'd like to see some cleaned up pics

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
could there be a clue inside about the oak island treasure?
Could metal that old have been left by the templars?

Sssssh! Be quiet, the producers of Oak Island get wind of that and they will add at least six more episodes.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That show should be called joke Island The time they find a treasure they will have spent ten times more trying to find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice find I would have opened it also how can a Treasure Hunter not!!! I'm not to far from you actually I was in Grand Rapids last night at the new 20 Monroe live seeing Shinedown and wayland!!!wooo hooo good show!!!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice find I would have opened it also how can a Treasure Hunter not!!! I'm not to far from you actually I was in Grand Rapids last night at the new 20 Monroe live seeing Shinedown and wayland!!!wooo hooo good show!!!

are you speaking english?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions