DO I REALLY NEED TO WEAR HEADPHONES WHILE HUNTING?

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a White's GMZ, 50 KHz, SILENT SEARCH - no threshhold. It only beeps when I hit a target. When I bought it, I was advised that the headphones were a must. I see instructional vids and they say it's important, but those are units that produce a hum or threshhold sound while the user decipher some small change or zip sound. I only have to hear the one beep, which is more than loud enough. I'm not detecting around other people so I see no need for headphones. Am I missing something?

On a side note, picked up a Garrett Pin-pointer AT today, big time saver. Now I can find bullet casings and shrapnel in record time!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the GMZ, you will not benefit from headphones.

Thank you. Yea, the silent search all metal GMZ 50KHz picks up a lot of "stuff" and there is no operational advantage to wearing them, which I hated doing. (Other than politeness and battery life). Now I know and I don't have to feel like I'm cheating when I don't.

bakatz

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them... and it keeps a lot of attention off you.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your analysis and conclusion are exactly consistent with my understanding of the need (or no need) for headphones. I have an ACE 350 and never hear any sounds other than a tone (three types) or no tone. Other factors are privacy, courtesy, etc.

And enjoy the PP; it's great.

Once you use headphones for awhile, you'll realize it's really hard to distinguish between the subtle differences in the tones on the 350 without headphones. After I hunted with my Ace 350 for a few months using headphones, I found it impossible to use it without them.

Using something like an AT Pro without headphones is extremely difficult because you can't hear the subtle clicks and tone changes that happen at the beginning and end of the tones unless you have headphones on.

I also found I could not use the AT Pro with the water headphones because it muted a lot of the quirks in the tones I used to identity bottle caps and pull tabs, so I waterproofed my land headphones instead which worked much better.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find I like head phones so I can hunt silently in park environments. Just attracts less attention.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find I like head phones so I can hunt silently in park environments. Just attracts less attention.

Agree... I wrapped my pro pointer with black electrical tape over the speaker hole so it would not be so loud. I could silence it entirely by placing it in vibration mode only but I find it harder to use when I can't hear the beeps.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear them in the water or in a maybe in loud areas. Most the places I hunt are in the ghetto, so I have to hear everything else too. Plus , Summer time is a no-go on headphones for me. My last ones would hold the sweat and it would pour out of my ears when I took them off...no bueno

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread