Bought an equinox 800 and the first hunt yielded a big pile of sinkers and a tiny GOLD, school gives up another CW bullet

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said in my last post I bit the bullet and bought an Equinox 800. I got a good deal. $899 and it came with wireless headphones and an extra coil (the 15inch). I spent some time getting it set up and watching some helpful YouTube videos so I have some clue of what I’m doing. This machine has a lot more features than the ATPro and it could take a while to get this thing fine tuned, but I decided to just use the basic set up and give it a spin to see how it does.

I went to a park swimming beach. I have covered the swimming area very throughly with the ATPro, but I have only spot checked the beach. A month ago the water was down so the swim area was totally dry. The lake is filling up and the swim area is about 3/4 full now.

There is a boat rental and boat launch just off the beach with some lake bed still dry so I decided to try there first. I have walked over it several time before with the ATPro and it has been noisy and hard to pick out good targets. At the end of the hunt I ventured over parts of the beach I have covered quickly in the past. I used the basic factory setup in beach 1, with the stock coil and bumped up the volume from 20 to 25. I did the noise canceling, but did not ground balance. I left the all metal mode off for most of the hunt. I did try a few things as I went along, but left things alone for the most part.

I spent 5 hours swingin the Equinox and found 66 coins with a face value of $2.53, 2 fishing swivels, a cheapie earring, a screw on earring back, 3 fishing spoons, a beat up nickel, a shoe grommet, 77 sinkers, a few tabs and some foil. There were some really small sinkers that were very low numbers on the display and 4 or 5 inches down.

F097482F-5D58-48F6-8108-69EF52D84E8A.jpeg

The screw on earring back was another low number signal. When I saw it in the sand I thought it was a sequin like ones I have found before. I wasn’t sure it was any good, but when I got home I took a good look with the magnifying glass and could see writing. It says 18k CH. The older jewelry had the numbers stamped in so they were easy to see. The newer ones seem to be etched in and are harder to read and easy to miss.

0F89926B-1921-48BF-BF1D-E3779694E546.jpeg

695C4C4B-4BFC-4A6D-8A43-D73E35C6B3B5.jpeg

In all metal mode the iron signals were present, but not loud so I was easy to pick out the non ferrous signals (I dig all non ferrous signals most of the time). This machine seems to pick up the smaller stuff a little deeper than the ATPro even when the sensitivity is at the factory number 20 setting. I will still have to test it out during the summer in the water (cover an area with one machine and then redo the area with the other to see which one performs better) but this may be my new jewelry finder for the water hunts.

I went out again with the Equinox and did another section of lake bed and tried more beach. It was cold and windy. The wind blowing off the lake was fierce and after 3 hours I had to call it quits. I did manage to find 28 coins with a face value of $1.69, 5 pieces of cheapie jewelry, a couple of pieces of miscellaneous aluminum with a bag clamp, a fishing lure, 21 more sinkers, some tabs and pieces of aluminum foil wrappers.

5C4C89C1-24B2-4999-8A10-D6D38B31BD17.jpeg

I don’t know much bout this machine after only 2 hunts, but it looks very promising. I still love my CZ21 and will use it for most of my land hunts, but it will replace my old Excalibur 1000. When I do a yard I will go in one direction and cover the yard with the CZ and then redone the yard at a 90 degree angle with the Excalibur to be sure I have cleaned up as well as possible. There is a possibility it will replace the ATPro as well, but I need to do more testing first. We are going to the ocean beach in a few weeks and I will be using it there for sure.

I had time for a hunt at the Civil war bullet school. The weather was cold, but less windy and it snowed on me for a while. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 36 coins with a face value of $1.24, half of a kiddie ring, a modern lead seal (it looks unused), a civil war bullet, 2 keys, some can slaw, tabs, aluminum fence tie wire and the ever present pencil ends.

60DEFDCE-43C8-4D42-9292-ED543D28F791.jpeg

9BFCE819-9E1B-4F27-9B02-E2EA38229596.jpeg

The bullet is a Williams Type III. I found an article about the history of the Williams cleaner bullets and it stated that the Type III was advertised as a superior bullet and great numbers were issued to the federal troops. The military did their own tests nd found that the Type III actually harmed the barrel of the guns and they issued an order NOT to use them except in emergency situations. So finding unfired Williams Type III bullets may indicate they were intentionally discarded. Thought I would pass that info long. (The article I read sited reliable references for the research or I would not be sending it out to you all.)

I managed to find 2 dimes and 2 pennies on our evening walks and a dollar bill at the mall. All the coin star machines I have checked lately have been empty. Still keeping my eyes open for goodies wherever they may appear.

The old man is still out there swingin and lookin. Doctors and family for the rest of the week so that’s all for now. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 22

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said in my last post I bit the bullet and bought an Equinox 800. I got a good deal. $899 and it came with wireless headphones and an extra coil (the 15inch). I spent some time getting it set up and watching some helpful YouTube videos so I have some clue of what I’m doing. This machine has a lot more features than the ATPro and it could take a while to get this thing fine tuned, but I decided to just use the basic set up and give it a spin to see how it does.

I went to a park swimming beach. I have covered the swimming area very throughly with the ATPro, but I have only spot checked the beach. A month ago the water was down so the swim area was totally dry. The lake is filling up and the swim area is about 3/4 full now.

There is a boat rental and boat launch just off the beach with some lake bed still dry so I decided to try there first. I have walked over it several time before with the ATPro and it has been noisy and hard to pick out good targets. At the end of the hunt I ventured over parts of the beach I have covered quickly in the past. I used the basic factory setup in beach 1, with the stock coil and bumped up the volume from 20 to 25. I did the noise canceling, but did not ground balance. I left the all metal mode off for most of the hunt. I did try a few things as I went along, but left things alone for the most part.

I spent 5 hours swingin the Equinox and found 66 coins with a face value of $2.53, 2 fishing swivels, a cheapie earring, a screw on earring back, 3 fishing spoons, a beat up nickel, a shoe grommet, 77 sinkers, a few tabs and some foil. There were some really small sinkers that were very low numbers on the display and 4 or 5 inches down.

View attachment 2074250

The screw on earring back was another low number signal. When I saw it in the sand I thought it was a sequin like ones I have found before. I wasn’t sure it was any good, but when I got home I took a good look with the magnifying glass and could see writing. It says 18k CH. The older jewelry had the numbers stamped in so they were easy to see. The newer ones seem to be etched in and are harder to read and easy to miss.

View attachment 2074251

View attachment 2074252

In all metal mode the iron signals were present, but not loud so I was easy to pick out the non ferrous signals (I dig all non ferrous signals most of the time). This machine seems to pick up the smaller stuff a little deeper than the ATPro even when the sensitivity is at the factory number 20 setting. I will still have to test it out during the summer in the water (cover an area with one machine and then redo the area with the other to see which one performs better) but this may be my new jewelry finder for the water hunts.

I went out again with the Equinox and did another section of lake bed and tried more beach. It was cold and windy. The wind blowing off the lake was fierce and after 3 hours I had to call it quits. I did manage to find 28 coins with a face value of $1.69, 5 pieces of cheapie jewelry, a couple of pieces of miscellaneous aluminum with a bag clamp, a fishing lure, 21 more sinkers, some tabs and pieces of aluminum foil wrappers.

View attachment 2074255

I don’t know much bout this machine after only 2 hunts, but it looks very promising. I still love my CZ21 and will use it for most of my land hunts, but it will replace my old Excalibur 1000. When I do a yard I will go in one direction and cover the yard with the CZ and then redone the yard at a 90 degree angle with the Excalibur to be sure I have cleaned up as well as possible. There is a possibility it will replace the ATPro as well, but I need to do more testing first. We are going to the ocean beach in a few weeks and I will be using it there for sure.

I had time for a hunt at the Civil war bullet school. The weather was cold, but less windy and it snowed on me for a while. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 36 coins with a face value of $1.24, half of a kiddie ring, a modern lead seal (it looks unused), a civil war bullet, 2 keys, some can slaw, tabs, aluminum fence tie wire and the ever present pencil ends.

View attachment 2074253

View attachment 2074254

The bullet is a Williams Type III. I found an article about the history of the Williams cleaner bullets and it stated that the Type III was advertised as a superior bullet and great numbers were issued to the federal troops. The military did their own tests nd found that the Type III actually harmed the barrel of the guns and they issued an order NOT to use them except in emergency situations. So finding unfired Williams Type III bullets may indicate they were intentionally discarded. Thought I would pass that info long. (The article I read sited reliable references for the research or I would not be sending it out to you all.)

I managed to find 2 dimes and 2 pennies on our evening walks and a dollar bill at the mall. All the coin star machines I have checked lately have been empty. Still keeping my eyes open for goodies wherever they may appear.

The old man is still out there swingin and lookin. Doctors and family for the rest of the week so that’s all for now. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Congrats. You earned that gold

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2074250

View attachment 2074251

View attachment 2074252

View attachment 2074255

View attachment 2074253

View attachment 2074254

That’s a lot of digs and I like that jewelry! Congratulations

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been eying getting either a 600 or an 800, how is it comparing to your ATpro so far?
Thanks for the post. I only have 8 hours on the 800 so far, but it seems to pick up the small stuff as well as the Pro and does a good job tuning out the iron. If it performs well with a little more testing I may use it instead of the Pro. Too soon to tell for sure just yet.

Good luck with your choice, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Herbieelectric

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2012

View attachment 2074250

View attachment 2074251

View attachment 2074252

View attachment 2074255

View attachment 2074253

View attachment 2074254

Congrats on the new machine! Enjoyed this post and the level of detail you put into it…38” of snow here yesterday…these posts get me through to spring!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new machine! Enjoyed this post and the level of detail you put into it…38” of snow here yesterday…these posts get me through to spring!
Thanks. We had snow a couple of days ago, but it is all melted thank goodness. I feel sorry for you with all that snow it will be a while before you get out. That would drive me crazy. For your sake I hope it all melts soon and I will continue to post and help get you through to spring.
Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin (as soon as the snow melts).

A lot of good finds for just starting out with the Nox 800
Thanks roamer. Almost 21 years of experience and having several different kinds of machines I use regularly does make a difference. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2074250

View attachment 2074251

View attachment 2074252

View attachment 2074255

View attachment 2074253

View attachment 2074254

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread