jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Biggest Issue I Usually see with People removing Bees is they don't Fully Assess the Situation before Hand.
I've seen so many people on Videos approach a Hornet Nest with a Large Bag, Climb a Ladder & immediately try to rap
the opening around the Bag, only to get Snagged on Limps & Shake the Nest :laughing7: at that point their a comedy scene !

they should first approach it over time Inspecting, Clipping a limb, quickly & Exiting Quickly. letting it Calm for a day or Two
then do the Same till your Sure you can spend less then 3 to 6 Seconds at Most, Bagging, Closing and Exiting for another Day or 2.

You may still get stung by a Lucky Hornet , But for People not afraid to Play with bees it only Hurts for a Little while.

Yellow Jackets, I Just knock 'em down and exit for a day.
ground nests cover them with new ground to block their exit
and something heavy till all the flyers give up.

that is except if I was doing it for friends and wanted to play
with the process. &/or Paint Bees

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honey bees , like bumble bees , I Don't bother.
I Haven't been stung by Either that I Remember Since Playing barefoot & Stepping on a Dandelion where one was Snacking
when I was a child

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah Smokey, when I was about 13, around 1960 I was mowing the lawn and got hit by a couple of yellow jackets. It was August and about 93 degrees and they had made a nest in the ground and I was angry. I ran and grabbed the gas can and doused the hole I saw them come out of. Then I ran into the house and got some matches. Now it was very hot outside and it took me a couple minutes to return while that gasoline was fuming up and when I tossed a lit match there was a big fireball that knocked me on my a$$. Luckily I wasn't really hurt but had my eyebrows and eyelashes singed off along with some hair on the front of my head. Never did that again!! One of our neighbors had a big yellow jacket paper nest on the side of his garage and he doused it in gasoline and lit it up. Garage burned to the ground, he was lucky to get his car out while it was burning. Dang pesty yellow jackets!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped Gasoline in the Burn Barrell once .
I Figured I was Too Smart to Light it,
so I waited a few days, maybe a week.
took my fresh trash out and filled the dumpster ,
grabbed my lighter and reached over to light some paper.
and it still went off as a cannon. trash everywhere :tongue3:

after that I would buy a Gallon Of Kerosene for Lighting
Wet & Hard to ignite trash

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My house = this house my Grandfather finished in 1951 (I own it and live in it) has old tar & asbestos shingles on it, some of which are falling off now (I'm old and don't care). I was in the kitchen a few days ago and could hear a whole lot of humming going on. So I walked around the side of the house and a shingle was coming loose and seems to be a new and very active honey bee nest in my wall.....

Entertainment which I hope doesn't get into the house living space :(
Humming?
They must not know the words...
:laughing7:

If no scouts (bee realtors or condo timeshare marketers with tiny briefcases) were not already in the house you might be alright.
Depending on the bee planning commission's master plan of expansion.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so much of a bungler at this stage in my life - I think I'll just let them be, personally. Now if they work their way inside my house, that's a different story.

I have paid attention to them, and they are for certain - honey bees.

Who knows what time will tell....... Maybe a jar of fresh honey?

And Smokey - that's a pretty good idea / suggestion :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread