Do you carry protection when you go detecting?

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hi Folks,

I started carrying a hand gun after being jumped by
a durggie in a park while metal detecting.

I already have a Davis Ind. derringer that shoots 32
auto,

1-13-7.jpg

Yesterday,,,, I saw a sign at the sporting goods store
down the road. It said;

* 5 day gun sale *
30 to 50 percent off

I just had to stop. Then I just had to have this,

1-13-3.jpg

1-13-6.jpg

Here is a closer look at both of them,

1-13-4.jpg

1-13-5.jpg

1-13-10.jpg

1-13-12.jpg

Size comparison on tha 32 auto,

6-26-5-1.jpg

6-26-091-1.jpg

The American Arms is a little less than 1/2 inch longer,
and a little slimmer and about the same height. It is
less bulky than the Davis Ind. 32 auto.

1-13-9.jpg

After I bought it, I went out and shot a box of shells out
of it. (50 rounds) I also took some 2 inch thick phone
books to compare the penetration of these two guns,

1-13-1.jpg

I got to shoot a lawyer and his car?.... lol

Here are a few bullets I recovered.

1-13-2.jpg

In the initial test was two shots from each pistol into
a fresh phone book that was backed by another phone
book.

The results were;

NAA 22 Mag <> 2.1 inches of penetration
NAA 22 Mag <> 1.9 inches of penetration
Average penetration <> 2.0 inches

This 22 Mag bullet was sticking into the second phone
book, so I called it 2.1 inches,

1-14-1.jpg

Davis 32Auto<> 1.4 inches of penetration
Davis 32Auto<> 1.2 inches of penetration
Average penetration <> 1.3 inches

According to my questionable Arkie test, The NAA 22
Mag may have about 35% more penetration.

I believe that both pistols may have about the same
amount of energy, but, the smaller 22 Mag makes a
smaller deeper hole.

I have shot another box now.

After shooting several types of targets with both pistols,
I believe the 22 Mag is more likely to penetrate clothing
and other obstacles.

Conclusion;

They are both very loud!!! (for little guns)

The American Arms 22 Mag is a 5 shot revolver. It can
carry five rounds without the firing pin resting on a shell.
That allows me to safely carry it fully loaded .

The American Arms 22 Mag with a 1 and 1/8 inch barrel
is very well made and is far more accurate than the Davis
Ind 32 Auto with a 2 and 1/4 inch barrel. I can shoot three
or four times as far with about the same accuracy as the
32 auto derringer. The action with the 22 is smooth, and
the trigger pull is nice and crisp. (no play) All five rounds
can be fired rapidly with reasonable accuracy for close up
use.

The Davis Industries 32 Auto is very cheaply made with a
terrible trigger pull and it almost takes both hands to cock
it. It gets pocket grit in it and will not rotate the firing into
the upper barrel sometimes!!! It just does not seem as
reliable as the 22 Mag. But it does what it is supposed to
do most of the time.

I am happier with my new little companion.

1-13-8.jpg

I saved myself about $25 in about 30
minutes.

I wanted a pocket holster for my new
NAA 22 Mag.

I could have got one like these for $20
plus shipping,

pocketHolsters.jpg

But, instead, I just made one out of an
old billfold that had thin soft leather. I
like it better..... It's soft leather and it
covers the hammer,

1-15-1.jpg

I know my sewing looks bad,,, but that
ain't no biggie for this old Arkie.

I know a fella that has been carrying an
American Arms 22 Mag for ten years and
loves it. I am starting to see why.

After leaving the shooting range, (down tha road), I took
a few photos out my car window.

Thought you all might like a little Arkie sight seeing,

1-14-3.jpg

1-14-4.jpg

1-14-2.jpg

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Upvote 0

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
As a retired LEO and Gunsmith, I'd really like to put my 2 cents in here. The small firearms many of you have shown are easy to carry and lightweight. The problem is most of the small calibers like 22LR, 32 ACP .380 auto, .25 auto etc are not good stopping rounds. Most of the people who will accost you will be high on drugs. Some of these drugs will allow the person to continue to attack you until they bleed out. I've seen this more than once. The smallest caliber to carry for self defense should be a .38 special or 9mm with good hollow point self defense ammo. I much prefer a .40 or 45 ACP caliber. These calibers are available in compact firearm sizes. The vast majority of the time, just the sight of a firearm will send a crook running. It's when they attack you anyway or pull their own firearm that you need a caliber that will quickly stop the person. I carry a Colt Officers model 45 ACP with 185 grn. +P hollow points. I feel com foratable with nothing less. I'm not real big on the .40 caliber in the compact sizes because of recoil. The .40 is a good stopper, but is harder to control than the 45 ACP. If you are really serious about self defense, get a major caliber weapon and practice accuracy and tactics. Be very aware of who is around you. If something tells you a person you see could be a problem, move on and come back later.
The right caliber is like having the right metal detector. A small caliber short barreled weapon is like a $45.00 K Mart detector at a coin shooting contest, your going to loose. If you must pull your weapon, don't get shakey, look them in the eye if you have time and let them get the feeling that you will shoot them then go out for a nice big bloody steak. Crooks can read fear like a book. The last guy I had to pull on off duty was a large biker with a Bowie knife pulled. I looked him in the eye and told him that I would blow his F'n head off and smile while I did it. I then smiled at him. He dropped the knife and ran like a scared rabbit. He knew by looking at me that I would have
used my weapon.

Best Regards, John K

OP
OP
tabdog

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Rifleman said:
As a retired LEO and Gunsmith, I'd really like to put my 2 cents in here. The small firearms many of you have shown are easy to carry and lightweight. The problem is most of the small calibers like 22LR, 32 ACP .380 auto, .25 auto etc are not good stopping rounds. Most of the people who will accost you will be high on drugs. Some of these drugs will allow the person to continue to attack you until they bleed out. I've seen this more than once. The smallest caliber to carry for self defense should be a .38 special or 9mm with good hollow point self defense ammo. I much prefer a .40 or 45 ACP caliber. These calibers are available in compact firearm sizes. The vast majority of the time, just the sight of a firearm will send a crook running. It's when they attack you anyway or pull their own firearm that you need a caliber that will quickly stop the person. I carry a Colt Officers model 45 ACP with 185 grn. +P hollow points. I feel com foratable with nothing less. I'm not real big on the .40 caliber in the compact sizes because of recoil. The .40 is a good stopper, but is harder to control than the 45 ACP. If you are really serious about self defense, get a major caliber weapon and practice accuracy and tactics. Be very aware of who is around you. If something tells you a person you see could be a problem, move on and come back later.
The right caliber is like having the right metal detector. A small caliber short barreled weapon is like a $45.00 K Mart detector at a coin shooting contest, your going to loose. If you must pull your weapon, don't get shakey, look them in the eye if you have time and let them get the feeling that you will shoot them then go out for a nice big bloody steak. Crooks can read fear like a book. The last guy I had to pull on off duty was a large biker with a Bowie knife pulled. I looked him in the eye and told him that I would blow his F'n head off and smile while I did it. I then smiled at him. He dropped the knife and ran like a scared rabbit. He knew by looking at me that I would have
used my weapon.

Best Regards, John K

Hay John,

I agree with you. I have a nice heavy all steel 45 APC that I have
shot thousands of rounds out of, a Colt 28 Spl, a small 9mm,,,,
well here,

1-18-2.jpg

6-27-3.jpg

I have tried carrying larger weapons metal detecting, but, in the
good weather when I do most my detecting, I just have jeans
and a tea shirt. With all the squatting and sweating I do, small
just won't do.

I need tiny,

1-13-6.jpg

I am in parks where the most important thing I am likely to need
is something loud and really stings. I can unload 5 rounds real
quick if I need to.

I tried the 9mm and the 38, but they were so uncomfortable that
when I got jumped by a druggie in a park, all I had was my digger,

2-18-14.jpg

Now I have something that is comfortable enough that I carry it
all the time,

1-17-6.jpg

If I think I might need anything bigger, I got it.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Quark

Apr 8, 2009
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Rifleman. My constant companion is a Glock 23 (.40 cal, mid-sized between the compact and the full size model) with a laser sight. It's a weapon that will intimidate (the laser gives the perception I won't miss); it has enough stopping power for a hopped-up puke; and it's comfortable to hold and shoot because it's big enough to fill my hand.

That said, I've also got a Ruger LCP .380 I carry in a front pocket when wearing shorts and a t-short. It's a reasonable compromise between and weight and caliber with the right loads.

Of course, the goal is to stop a confrontation without having to shoot someone, and the mere presence of any gun often accomplishes that goal. But if the chips are down, I want a weapon that gives me the best chance of a happy ending - happy for me, that is.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
One of the fanny packs that are made for firearms that you wear on the front are good for hot weather. It may get in the way of your goodie/trash bag, but you can get one that you wear on your leg. You never know when a bad situation will occur. During my years as a LEO, usually things were good as could be then went bad with little warning. A Milt Sparks "Summer Special" holster fits inside your pants and can easily be covered with a long shirt. If you are going to carry, spend the money for a larger caliber firearm and a good holster. It could save your life or the life of those you love. I should add that I spent the last 4 years working as a Correctional Counselor. The majority of people in prison care of nothing but themselves and will not hesitate nor feel any guilt in attacking you and taking what they want. Anyone who has ever worked in law enforcement or in corrections will tell you that a firearm is like your American Express card, never leave home without it. Please don't be lulled into thinking the police will protect you. We all would have loved to stop every attack against another, but most of the time were only able to get there and pick up the pieces and then try to find the perp.
Try to hunt with someone else when possible. It's easy to not pay attention when you have earphones on and are listening to the sounds your detector is making or looking at the screen. Just think what a great mark you make when you are on your knees digging a deep target. Pay attention and stay out of trouble. With more people out of work and prisons releasing criminals early, it's getting more dangerous all of the time.

Best Regards, John K

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
One for in town and around, and one for the woods.
Of course I would rather shoot the 357 anyday.

Attachments

• SAM_0262.JPG
    SAM_0262.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,217

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I carried a NAM .22lr in a Marlboro box in my shirt pocket for years . Amazing how a dirtbag would decide to quit smoking after agressively asking me for a smoke .
Killed many a 1000 lb beef with a lowly .22 round .
Since concealed carry became a reality I'll stick with my .45ACP .

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I carry a 2" Ruger SP101 spurless revolver in my back pocket just about every where I go when I'm walking around, not just metal detecting. It's a five shot .357 magnum that's not much bigger than the palm of my hand. It's almost too small as it's hard to hang on to the thing when you pop it off. The grip's so small that you're basically hanging onto the thing with your thumb, your middle finger and half of your ring finger, whish isn't much. It slips completely into my back pocket though, no holster needed, and the spurless hammer ensures that there's nothing to snag on the clothing if you need to get it out in a hurry.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost always heeled when in public. I used to carry this Colt Lightweight Officers ACP in .45, but recently started carrying a FN Hi Power in .40
Colt004.jpg

If I have to shoot, I want to make BIG holes!

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I always have my P3AT ( which I bought in Little Rock years ago) with me in my back pocket. Also like to have a Glock 19 or 29 since both are easy to carry. Job and dress code sometimes force me to shed them though.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I don't plan on carrying a firearm in town but will carry my telescoping baton but thinking of getting a .22 for woods. Sure wish I hadn't sold my S&W .38 but hard times came on and had to sure miss that gun.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me a Lesche Knife and a little pepper spray is enough of a deterrent without goin and shootin yer butt off while trying to grab yer gun out of your pants.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Without a CCW permit, not in town. In the bush I'll carry my 38 special for critters and as a signal device
*when my whistle is insufficient*. In town my whistle, screw driver, steak knife *for sod cutting*, the trowel
and a small CS spray can are sufficient. These wont help if a gun is pulled *may that never happen* but
I tell ya what you go blasting on a whistle when negotiations start to fail and most idiots back off~ and I
go the other way. Failing that and a simple display of the screw driver or knife the CS is the last defence.

My philosophy is simply to make use of whatever is at hand that the police are not likly to take offense to.
In essence I'm always armed in town. It also helps if you look and have an attitude that speaks "I'm meaner
than you, dont tread on me." By and large I rarely have problems and my mouth usually gets me away
before things get stupid.

Before ya laugh at the whistle, a good size one with a pea in it, one must consider that these devices were
originally made for warfare. Its hard to think with one pealling in your ears and no druggie or thug wants
the attention they can cause as most are cowards to begin with.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in cali cant carry arms only my digger to ward off the Muts. :angry7:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
40 cal hollow point gloc lesche digger and 48 inch lesche land shark i use it as a cane in the city i conceal in the country i shoulder holster it somtimes in the city i carry a 2 shot 44 cal derringer

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
I avoid sketchy locations, but my .45 Berreta makes a better companion than my small Davis pocket pistol.

My digging tool is a Spanish bayonet with a 10" blade.

Sim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tapdog these are some great photos. Since I mainly water hunt now I don't carry much more than my dive knife and scoop. When I hunted the crime areas I carried a Starfire 9 mm. auto which my son called a mouse gun as he liked .45's.

That American Arms .22 mag is sweet and like i always told my boy, "Shoot'em in the eye and run away."

It is a shame that we have to resort to this, but the bad guys don't obey any laws. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Prefer the Judge....45ACP or .410 shot

Attachments

• 9572792.jpg
    9572792.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3,255
  • 9572792.jpg
    9572792.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3,247

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread