Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respect your rights to carry a gun, my personal philosophy that something would more likely happen to me if I had a gun, than if I didn't....maybe it's that I am more likely to avoid situations if I am unarmed, than I would if I was armed.

Plus I am not fond of guns, even though I grew up in a small rural town in Colorado with guns all around.

I am also not worried about the government falling, or prepping for the end of the world. The way I see it, if it's the end of the world, sign me up to be the first to go!

wow! I guess if you think you wanna be first to go, is your young son in the avatar gonna be second?? I will DIE protecting me and mine ty. I will go out with a bang, not a wimper.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the forum scotty544! :hello:

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't leave the house without my ccw. Grocery shopping, getting gas, anything. Especially if I have my new born daughter with me. I consider myself a tough guy but that doesn't matter if your up against a armed attacker, out numbered or surprised. So basically yes to answer your question

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
Of course I do not want my young son to go second, in fact I don't want to go at all. I am not a believer in either the end of the world, or a massive government melt down...at least in my lifetime....I am just saying if it's the end of the world....IT IS THE END....why hold out in a bunker for months only to find out it's really the end...sign me up to be the first to go.

If someone wants to prep for that, arm up and wait for something bad to happen, then good for them...I choose to live differently.

I live approximately 1 month out of each year outside the US and have been to many places that most people would think as dangerous....if you are smart, and are aware of your surroundings you can stay out of trouble most the time. Have I been in situations where a knife has been poking at my back....yes, actually twice, but in those situations a gun would have done me no good, or would have made the situation worse.

I often think it is more dangerous in the US with so many packing heat.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of course I do not want my young son to go second, in fact I don't want to go at all. I am not a believer in either the end of the world, or a massive government melt down...at least in my lifetime....I am just saying if it's the end of the world....IT IS THE END....why hold out in a bunker for months only to find out it's really the end...sign me up to be the first to go.

If someone wants to prep for that, arm up and wait for something bad to happen, then good for them...I choose to live differently.

I live approximately 1 month out of each year outside the US and have been to many places that most people would think as dangerous....if you are smart, and are aware of your surroundings you can stay out of trouble most the time. Have I been in situations where a knife has been poking at my back....yes, actually twice, but in those situations a gun would have done me no good, or would have made the situation worse.

:icon_scratch: To each his own..

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Really more dangerous because more are packing heat? Wow!

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
Considering a large population of the US population has a sub high school education are packing heat...yes, scary!

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
I figured you would all be scared too....if you look at all the many reasons you carry on this blog.

Many comments are directed to your own safety, and protecting yourself from idiots.

If your not scared, then why carry? I think the average education level in the US is below a High School Degree....if that's not scary, then I am not sure what is?

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
First of all I have to ask, how did you come to choose the name "Nose Picker"? Kind of hard to get people to take you seriously with a name like that don't you think? It is memorable though...
Second, carry or don't carry it's best not to put yourself in bad situations to begin with.
Third I wish you could convince your fellow Colorado citizens to stop stepping on others rights to carry.
Fourth if people wish to prep that is their right to do so, good thing to do anyways regardless of govt failure as disasters do happen.

I thought Nose Picker was a funny name. I guess I don't take myself too seriously, lighten up people!

I joined the group cause I thought metal detecting would be a fun hobby, and I want to learn from more experienced metal detecting people. I know now not to get close to other detectorist out in the field, as it sounds like most are packing heat.

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figured you would all be scared too....if you look at all the many reasons you carry on this blog.

Many comments are directed to your own safety, and protecting yourself from idiots.

If your not scared, then why carry? I think the average education level in the US is below a High School Degree....if that's not scary, then I am not sure what is?

i carry because "I CAN AND I'M LICENSED" to do so.

And for the fact that i have had 3 spine surgeries and i am unable to fight off an aggressor. god forbid i ever NEED to use it, it would kill me inside.
Other than that i dont need it.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nose Picker, I respect your choice NOT to carry. Thank you, for understanding those of us who feel different.

FlyingProspector

Feb 5, 2013
Lodi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, had to chime in here... Why would you be scared of a fellow treasure hunter if he's armed to protect himself? You've said some extremely thoughtless things. And where'd you come up with this "sub high school education" nonsense? Ridiculous.

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

What is the best holster when metal detecting? Any and all information is appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian T. Booth

Boomer-1

Jun 27, 2009
Gadsden, Al
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I carry concealed because I am disabled. Ruptured and bulging discs prevent me from doing a lot of things that I used to do. When I have time to go detecting, and am feeling up to it, I do go...but I usually end up paying for it.

I have been in bad situations with gang members, druggies, and psycho's. There are mean evil people in this world, always have been, always will be. I detect way out in the backwoods where there are bears, wild hogs, and big cats. I have used my weapon to put down a rabid dog.

I am well trained in the use of firearms, and also know when not to use them.
I don't go out looking for trouble, but if trouble finds me I know how to handle it.
I do not consider myself a vigilante, but would rush to another's aid if needed.
I have more than a high school education.

Scared? Why should I be scared? I have protection.

Booth, I use a pocket holster. I really like it, it is out of the way but within easy reach. Bulldog Medium Inside Pocket Holster Right Hand Nylon Black

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't leave the house without my ccw. Grocery shopping, getting gas, anything. Especially if I have my new born daughter with me. I consider myself a tough guy but that doesn't matter if your up against a armed attacker, out numbered or surprised. So basically yes to answer your question

Very well said, I have a new born daughter as well and safety is my first priority. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a paranoid person I just feel like being prepared and exercising my 2nd amendment right. What is the point of owning a gun and leaving it at homeall the time?

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry because I CAN! There is this thing they teach all of us SUB HIGH SCHOOL dropouts called U.S. Government and the U.S. Constitution.

Saying you carry a sidearm because you are "Scared" is like saying Police carry because they are scared. Or hell NAVY SEALS carry because they are scared. WRONG! Its all about have a fighting chance. If you and your family want to be victimized because you are inexperienced with firearms, go ahead, as for me and mine, We have every right to live another day.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread