Do you guys just look for silver?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I am curious as to those of you who coin roll hunt or possibly know their stuff on the post 1964 coins.

I have noticed in my red coin book that there just doest seem to be very much on post 1964 coins really.

So what I am asking is this, where is a good book or magazine or possibly a website to educate myself on modern coin key dates, errors, etc??

Thanks in advanced

Upvote 1

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so I am curious as to those of you who coin roll hunt or possibly know their stuff on the post 1964 coins.

I have noticed in my red coin book that there just doest seem to be very much on post 1964 coins really.

So what I am asking is this, where is a good book or magazine or possibly a website to educate myself on modern coin key dates, errors, etc??

Thanks in advanced
You might look into the 2023/24 Big Red Book of Coins. I'm pretty sure it will have known mint errors & rarity & such.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Silver is a bonus. In many cases, errors and varieties contain the bulk of the value. The Big Red Book is a good resource. Cherrypickers Guide is also a good resource.

Online, there are hundreds of websites dedicated to coins. Far too many for me to mention here. Just do a web search for the type of error or variety that you need information on. You will have to sift through the trash and ash to find any informative website.

Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is a bonus. In many cases, errors and varieties contain the bulk of the value. The Big Red Book is a good resource. Cherrypickers Guide is also a good resource.

Online, there are hundreds of websites dedicated to coins. Far too many for me to mention here. Just do a web search for the type of error or variety that you need information on. You will have to sift through the trash and ash to find any informative website.

Have fun.

Time for more coffee.
Thanks for that.

I never heard of the cherry pickers guide.

I have the Redbook but it is more for key dates and such.

Not much on the clad errors and such.

I have a couple of questionable coins that I am trying to figure out.

2 are the 1968 D with what seems to be the words in God we trust and liberty on the rims edge. I looked on ebay and it looks like they do sell and I also have a 1906 IHP with a messed up reverse.

So anyway thanks for the cherry pickers reference

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a book more to what I have been looking for called strike it rich with pocket change i think is the name of it.

Lots of examples of post 1964 bad die strikes and errors.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I got a big bunch of clad I have accumulated for several years and now I am gonna start going through it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread