What's new

Do You Have An Account With Us, Sir ??

FL Junkman

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
279
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Had some dumps to make today so decided to stop at some other banks along the way and ask for halves. In total, stopped at about 7 banks and most had no halves except for one of the banks. I went in and asked the teller if they had any and she looked around, talked to two or three other people in the office and finally came back and said, Do you have an account with us? O.K., I knew where this was going but I try to always be honest and told her I did not. At this point the teller informed me that they could not sell me any halves unless I was an account holder. I just stood there for a few seconds trying to look like a "whipped puppy" when another lady came up and said they had $70.00 worth of halves and would sell them to me this time but not again. Bought them and left. Drove about a quarter mile to my next dump bank and searched the 7 rolls in the parking lot. Results --- 2 - Bens and 6 - 40%.
Combined the leftovers into my dump there and continued the hunt but with no further results today. All in all, a good dump day. HH

FL Junkman
 
Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen to me last week only they did not bend and sell me the halves. When I told them I did not have an account, she told me that they cant sell me halves because the system requires an account number for every transaction. I replied politely that it would be an even exchange- cash for coin. She said sorry. Still confused, I then said that usually the tellers are happy to get rid of their halves to which she replied she cant. Not to be a pest any further I wished her a good day and went on my way.
 
I had the same problem with dimes at a bank and a credit union today. So far, I'm only a member at 2 banks. :-\
 
I always say I have an account unless its a CU. Most tellers are too lazy to look you up.
 
FL Junkman said:
Had some dumps to make today so decided to stop at some other banks along the way and ask for halves. In total, stopped at about 7 banks and most had no halves except for one of the banks. I went in and asked the teller if they had any and she looked around, talked to two or three other people in the office and finally came back and said, Do you have an account with us? O.K., I knew where this was going but I try to always be honest and told her I did not. At this point the teller informed me that they could not sell me any halves unless I was an account holder. I just stood there for a few seconds trying to look like a "whipped puppy" when another lady came up and said they had $70.00 worth of halves and would sell them to me this time but not again. Bought them and left. Drove about a quarter mile to my next dump bank and searched the 7 rolls in the parking lot. Results --- 2 - Bens and 6 - 40%.
Combined the leftovers into my dump there and continued the hunt but with no further results today. All in all, a good dump day. HH

FL Junkman

Well, by scoring 2 Bens and some 40%, you know you have a bank where the tellers don't snatch up the silver. Personally, I'd open an account there so I could hit it again (and again) in the future with no problems.
 
Most of time it is the teller trying to deter you buying the halves because she has not searched the rolls.
 
Being a kid in this situation really helps because whenever they ask, I just say "O, well my mom has an account here." And they just smile and okay and we gon on with the coins.
 
gtfan76 said:
Being a kid in this situation really helps because whenever they ask, I just say "O, well my mom has an account here." And they just smile and okay and we gon on with the coins.

great idea...just dress up as a kid and ask next time :headbang:
 
dogpound said:
gtfan76 said:
Being a kid in this situation really helps because whenever they ask, I just say "O, well my mom has an account here." And they just smile and okay and we gon on with the coins.

great idea...just dress up as a kid and ask next time :headbang:

well I am 15
 
I was asked that recently while out hunting. I said 'no' and the lady was in the middle of telling me she couldn't sell me any coin when one of the other tellers said "oh, he's been in here before. It's OK."
I got 2 40% out of 5 bucks!
 
I'm so sick of the "do you have an account with us" bull. If they refuse, I just stand there and bug them until they sell me the halves. Happened once. Most of the time I just say yes. They rarely call my bluff. Good score!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom