chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to one of my spots I have hunted over and over and over but it still gives up some goodies every so often... well it did again... granted it nothing special but before I even went hunting I just knew Id find a silver dime and Ta-da! there she is!

it happens more often than you think at least to me... what about you guys? Do you have a feeling your going to find a certain something before you find it?

chukers

Attachments

• 1944 Merc.jpg
    1944 Merc.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 772

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah, happens to me every time I go out~! I just know I am going to find some pull tabs and aluminum and, sho' nuff.....I find 'em every time!!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will give ya an amen! It looks like it was wrapped up in a sweet cloth and polished undergrond for a few years. Good litttle coin!

Roland58 just make my day with his comment though!!!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
Oh yeah, happens to me every time I go out~! I just know I am going to find some pull tabs and aluminum and, sho' nuff.....I find 'em every time!!

I know I know... I try not to think about them!

Chukers

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go out knowing that I'm going to find anything in particular. But, quite a few times
over the years, I've had a problem that I get my md out, set the loop on the ground, turn
the power on and just about blow my ears out.

The first time it happened was in SanBernardino in a scraped lot. I had set the loop down
squarely on top of a 1892 half. Since then, nothing quite that spectacular. A dime here, a
penny there, etc. Come to think of it, once it was a curbside V nickle.

Who knows? Perhaps it 50% electronics and 50% ESP. :laughing9: OR, maybe
we're just fooling ourselves and we're just using the mds to cover up the fact that we're
actually dowsing. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Nice dime!!

Eagle

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hdmech71 said:
I will give ya an amen! It looks like it was wrapped up in a sweet cloth and polished undergrond for a few years. Good litttle coin!

Roland58 just make my day with his comment though!!!

its is a pretty merc isn't! looks like ALL the detail is there!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a great Merc, chukers. Lots of nice detail left in that one! I see you got her cleaned up real nice too. What I would like to know is when is it okay to clean and shine something and when does doing so ruin the value? Don't dimes get 'patinas' like anything else.....just a different color? Heck, I've got some red ones!
Are there general rules or a set of laws as to what should be cleaned and how? I have some Mercs that I hit on my buffer that look terrific.....shine like they have a fresh coat of Mercury rubbed onto them! I think it brings out the detail. I'm sure some will say that I have ruined them, but, they are probably only worth melt value anyway.

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find!

Once I found a nice Merc. dime almost as nice as that one... Ugh, but I nicked it with my dig tool, other than the little scratch... it was in great shape.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. For myself, a lot of times I can tell when a signal is coming, good or bad, when it's been relatively quite under my coil for some time. I'll be like"Here it comes, here it comes".... BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of that.
My first cast I i found two weeks ago, In a field thats probably an acre or more, Before i started
looking I checked out the site, I walked to within ten paces of that Button! I have had this happen
more than once over the years to me..... I wonder all the time how, but then I think about it and
just give thanks that it happens. :notworthy:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
It is a great Merc, chukers. Lots of nice detail left in that one! I see you got her cleaned up real nice too. What I would like to know is when is it okay to clean and shine something and when does doing so ruin the value? Don't dimes get 'patinas' like anything else.....just a different color? Heck, I've got some red ones!
Are there general rules or a set of laws as to what should be cleaned and how? I have some Mercs that I hit on my buffer that look terrific.....shine like they have a fresh coat of Mercury rubbed onto them! I think it brings out the detail. I'm sure some will say that I have ruined them, but, they are probably only worth melt value anyway.

I don't clean anything that is valuable like my 1914d Wheat Penny.... even so I only clean things like common coins and those I do clean I clean very lightly all I did with this one was rinse it and used some baking soda on it to get it shine up... now as you can see it has some small scratches on it I dunno if that was from being in the ground all these years or if that is from the baking soda... I wouldn't think baking soda could do that just in a few seconds of cleaning but maybe it did... either way its not a valuable coin so no big deal.

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tykit said:
Excitement. Anticipation. We call it beginners luck. Getting a new detector wil do it too.

Also ya know having a positive attitude or confidence in what your doing seems to help.... either way its all about perception you can make it good or bad its up to you!

Chukers

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunrunner61 said:
Speaking of that.
My first cast I i found two weeks ago, In a field thats probably an acre or more, Before i started
looking I checked out the site, I walked to within ten paces of that Button! I have had this happen
more than once over the years to me..... I wonder all the time how, but then I think about it and
just give thanks that it happens. :notworthy:

For years, my problem has been that I arrive at a site, take out my md and put the coil on the
ground. I put on my ear phones and turn the md on, and just about blow out my eardrums.
While in San Bernardino, I arrived at a newly leveled old homesite, went through my preparations,
and turned my md on, then immediately janked it up off of the dirt. I dug down about an inch and
found an 1892 half. That was 25 years ago, and since then, it happens quite often. Of course,
nothing as spectacular as that first (remembered) experience. But, it still happens well beyond the
"Law of Averages". Unfortunately, now it happens mostly with clad dimes and pennies. :laughing7:

I've begun wondering; Do we dowse these coins, then use the md to pinpoint them?? :laughing9:

Eagle

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every time I have a feeling that I'm going to a place that should be dripping with silver, I'm lucky to find any clad :BangHead:

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jewelerguy said:
every time I have a feeling that I'm going to a place that should be dripping with silver, I'm lucky to find any clad :BangHead:

You must be digging in the same places I am!!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roland58 said:
I don't plan on selling any of my finds, so what if I clean them and someone thinks it makes worth less, there not for sale any way :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread