What's new

Do you hunt construction sites?

ilzho

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
47
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
Grand Prairie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:

I see a lot of construction in my area and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck searching the areas where the dirt has been turned up?

Also, highway construction, where the dirt has been tilled.

I figure the ground won't be as hard to dig up now :)

Thoughts?
 
Definitely check it out! You never know what you'll find.
If the place is an old site it is WELL worth checking.
I got a barber dime and a large cent when they were replacing sidewalks in my city!
Go for it and GL!
 
Well, I don't hunt the construction sites per say, But I have hunted a lot where they were using the remover soil for fill. Found a lot of iron toy figures from WWII. Interesting hunt. Frank...
111-1 profile.webp
 
reply

Hello: I see a lot of construction in my area and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck searching the areas where the dirt has been turned up? Also, highway construction, where the dirt has been tilled. I figure the ground won't be as hard to dig up now :) Thoughts?

It has to be an old-town tearout. Not just any "construction site". And your hope is that it's not fill-dirt from some newer time-frame, or that they scraped down too deep, etc.... Thus some are good, others aren't.

As for street-tearouts, don't be confused if you see they "milling" (aka "grinding") the asphalt up. Although it might *look* like dirt, it's not. It's just the machine that grinds up the asphalt, in preparation for a new layer. And even if they grind/mill to BELOW that level, don't be confused about that either: Because rarely do they dig out below the DG (decomposed granite) compaction bed-fill layer.

Therefore sidewalk tearouts in old-town districts are the best. Because since they are engineered only to carry pedestrian traffic (not heavy cars/trucks), they often time had no preparation or compaction layer beneath them, back when they were first laid. They oft-times just laid them right on top of the wooden or dirt paths.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom