What's new

Do your clad and how?

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
1,336
Golden Thread
1
Location
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my earlier post I mentioned I passed $500 this year. Today I took $120 to my local Bank of America and they informed me they will no longer be giving immediate credit for rolled coins. All coins now need to go to a bulk facility to be machine counted then credit will be issued. They say that short rolls and damaged coins are the reason. Makes sense to me and I know many of the coins I roll are pretty beat up from the salt water. So my guess is my count won't match the machine count unless I clean them up a bit.

Thoughts?
 
Upvote 0
My bank has a coin machine. I wash my coins with water. They are discolored, with many black ones, but have no dirt or crust on them. I through the crusty ones away. The crusty or damaged coins will jam the machine. Ive never had a problem and Ive taken coins there twice a year for four years.
 
Coins that look like the could be in circulation go into rolls and my bank takes them. One bank I used 8 years ago used the "bulk facility" and I never went back.
Coins that are black and do not look like something I would like to get in change hit the tumble with ceramic pyramids and Boraxo for a four hour tumble. Then I roll them and off to the bank they go.
Coins that are VERY thin or still corroded hit the small metal recycle bin.
A few coins are questionable and are spent on a one at a time opportunity, if taken.
I actually take all the good looking pennies to the CoinStar machine. If they don't pass that test, they never get a second chance, even in a tumbler. They are not worth the time or electricity to tumble them, let alone roll them.
 
What Bank do you use?
Wells Fargo eliminated their coin machines system wide.

Moving to Manatee County, FL this weekend, will be purchasing my first detector sometime in Sept.
 
After hammering the lawn mower ejecta flat, I tumble pretty much everything in sand, wash clean and run them thru the credit union coin machine. It doesn't care about color, only that I get all the crud off. Corroded rejects (and canadien coins) get run thru again, usually with about 3/4 rejection rate. Then I spend the rejects like WaterWalker does, 1 or 2 at a time. I get some funny looks sometimes, but have never had one rejected by a cashier.
 
TD Bank has free coin machines with no fees.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Wglace--Welcome to the area. What are you swinging? Maybe I'll see you on the beach if you tell me where you go or it might be a secret like so many hunters prefer. Regards, Steve
 
Don't have a MD yet. Will be purchasing one ASAP.
I have an issue with my left knee....it's getting old, once I have that worked out I hope to be swinging several times a week.
I'm retired and moving to Ellenton on the Manatee River planning to MD beaches from Tampa Bay south.
Send me an email willglace@gmail.com
 
I run my clad through Coinstar and check out with a Home Depot or Lowe's gift card. No fee. I used to by my groceries with a gift card but it seems that Coinstar has gone with all national, big name companies.

HH
Fenway
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom