Maybe a piece to an old lightening rod system!Good evening everyone!
I found this strange piece of brass while detecting an early 1900s homesite yesterday after work. Not sure what it's purpose was.
Thanks for looking!
Good guess. But I have owned several lightning rod systems from Iowa and Illinois, and they looked different. But I have not seen everything in life.Maybe a piece to an old lightening rod system!
No problem,was a WAG!Good guess. But I have owned several lightning rod systems from Iowa and Illinois, and they looked different. But I have not seen everything in life.
Thank you, I could see that being used for that. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the ball end was threaded. Just to help a little more.I do believe that is an old honey dipper, possibly home made. Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.
You mean the ball is threaded on? Makes sense that the innovated. Farmers famous for that. I think home made. Good job.Thank you, I could see that being used for that. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the ball end was threaded. Just to help a little more.
Yes! The ball end looks to be threaded on. Thank you so much for your input traveller777!!You mean the ball is threaded on? Makes sense that the innovated. Farmers famous for that. I think home made. Good job.
Thank you! I can see that as a possibility too.Possibly an old antenna. Flip the picture upside down with the ball end at the top, the square end would be the portion located inside of the radio…
The length of the pin portion is 4 1/2" and the diameter looks to be 1/8". I apologize, I don't have calipers here at the house to check the diameter properly.What is the length and diameter of the actual pin portion?
Thanks Gare! I think that's my vote as well! It would make sense because in the same area I've been finding alot of old broken bottles and pottery.Traveler777 Beat me to it. I would vote for a honey dipper

Dozer brings up a good point. But we have to remember Not everything was manufactured. Some times people made things out of there ownI doubt it’s a honey dipper. Unless it was chrome plated brass has a stink to it especially when handled with wet or sweaty hands. What are the spacers made of on the square end?