✅ SOLVED Does anybody recognize this 1 pc. button with an eagle on it?

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• unknown button 2.jpg
    unknown button 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 120

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rope border is usually on Naval buttons that's all I've got for now looks like a good find

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mud Hut

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rope border is usually on Naval buttons that's all I've got for now looks like a good find

Thanks .. Based on the ratio of views vs. replies, it must be a real stumper!

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes its kinda cool to not know.. i wish i could help someone will know i see soooo many buttons on this site almost like pull tabs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be overlooking it but I can't find a one piece Navy button with a rope border in Albert's button book that matches the device shown on yours. There are a few but the rope is inside an oval, not around the edge. The rope border like the one on your find doesn't appear until the advent of two piece buttons. Again, I may be missing something and I hope someone will set me straight if I am.
Can you give us a precise size measurement and maybe a little information on where it was found? What other artifacts have been found in the same area?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking at your button. It looks like there may have been something above the eagle.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Thanks .. Based on the ratio of views vs. replies, it must be a real stumper!
Well, we knew it wouldn't be easy if you were asking -- you're pretty darned good a ID's!
Just a couple of thoughts: On a 20th century button the lightning bolts at the bottom would often mean communications (or other things done quickly). What would they mean on a 19th century button? ... maybe transportation?
Possibly dusting it flour and wiping off the excess would bring out more detail?
Is the shank a normal round loop? It's hard to tell from the angle if it was something different of just a bit bent.
-It may take Bramblefind to ID it, as she either uses some form of magic or has a mastery of using reference guides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
A few things which my mind is probably making up: Is there a fasces on the right side of the front? Is there a crown at the top? In the heavy line near the bottom there almost looks like a water mine, 1/4 way over from left? On the back are there words in an arch on the left side? -sorry I can't draw on the picture to point these things out, I don't know how to do that on an iPad. They're probably all made up, but worth a second opinion I suppose.

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of some mexican coins/buttons

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mud Hut

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be overlooking it but I can't find a one piece Navy button with a rope border in Albert's button book that matches the device shown on yours. There are a few but the rope is inside an oval, not around the edge. The rope border like the one on your find doesn't appear until the advent of two piece buttons. Again, I may be missing something and I hope someone will set me straight if I am.
Can you give us a precise size measurement and maybe a little information on where it was found? What other artifacts have been found in the same area?

This little button measures exactly 18mm, and was found near the area of Sinepuxent, Maryland. I also found a very toasted coin/copper that measures almost 34 mm and is only 1.56 mm thick. You can see there was some detail on it, but you can't make anything out.

Somebody asked about the loop: The loop on the button is still there, but it is smashed almost flat.

Attachments

• Unkown Copper.jpg
    Unkown Copper.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the right track?
f0662bba597d7d04bc7a77fa8b35d989.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WoW .. I believe you nailed it! Mine is 18mm. What the heck is a French Napoleonic War button doing on the East Coast of Maryland? Thanks for the ID!

You are welcome. I buried those buttons last October when I was in your area just to confuse the locals. Er ... I prevaricate :cat:

Considering the 1812 date (burning and sacking of Washington DC by the English soldiers that had been fighting Napoleon) and the French bills (Louisiana purchase payments) I imagine it might be a good idea to look closer at the site where you found this button. That French officer was meeting with someone and unless the button was lost in transit the meeting might be near your location. French soldiers didn't have trouser pockets but the Americans often did and a good spill from that period might be really interesting. :thumbsup:

1814 With the defeat of Napoleon in Europe, England was able to send an additional 15,000 troops to America. Bearing in mind the destruction of York, the British used Maryland as a staging ground for a major assault against Baltimore and the American capital at Washington.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread