What's new

Does anyone actually ever locate a substantial find from a treasure tale?

Frank James lived in Fletcher, which is not too far up the road. Also, some finds were made about ten miles north of here in the Keechi hills. I have been doing the print research. I stumbled on it accidentally reading the history of the town I live in.

One of the old timers remembered seeing Frank and an unknown associate digging up a kettle in the middle of an old wagon trail.

One hindrance is trying to do any hunting in the Wichita MT. wildlife refuge, which is where the bulk of the James gang gold cache is supposed to be.

Just google the "Mule Shoe treasure."

If anyone wants to come hunt with me, or help me out, I would be very grateful.

As far as reporting a find? Not me. I cannot see melting down historically significant gold, though.
 
well first of all --a major find -- at the very least if announced would draw state and even federal govt attenttion --so the tax men cometh -- so kiss a big chunk of what you found bye bye for opening yer yapper *--- that is unless they can find a way to say what you did was legally wrong somehow --then kiss it all away with the possiblity of the loss of addition money from lawyers fees , court cost, fines and possible jail time .

even if the find was basically "legally" found and obtained --- expect --chislers and their lawyers to try to file suit in somewhy to try and "claim" your find as belonging to them in some way - (say it was outlaw cache from a old west bank rovvery -- you can expect without a doubt - the insurance company that covered the loss or the hiers of bank owners to claim the find is legally "theirs")--so then your tied up in court wasring money to defend the "'right" to keep what you found -- many greedy people are like buzzards at a lions kill -- they flock in huge numbers to pester the lion to death while he tries to eat his hard earned kill -- by the huge numbers of them they grab a bit here and a bit there --the lion tries to protect his food but its in vain --theres just too darn many of them to effectively stop them --go to the rear the ones at the head shoot in grabbing a bite --go to head the ones at the rear shoot in fer a bite -- overtime the poor lion is worn down --and the buzzards eat a large part of "his" kill in the process ---yes lifes cruel at times.
 
Digger:

Dodge is another town with an outlaw heritage. Still a small town and a
good researcher might run down a few small caches, just a matter of access.

In the early days of detecting in the Southwest getting on private property
was much easier. People weren't scared of strangers like now. It's a totally
different world in places like Dallas than it was back then. Can't say too much
without stepping on toes. I hear guys just starting out who complain of lack
of siver coins. Well, my generation THers thinned out the supply and they
quit making them. Then in the early '80s the Hunt brothers silver bubble sent
huge amounts of coins to the furnace. I sold my collection at about the price
silver is today. Not only coins, silverware, teapots anything silver were brought
to the various precious metals dealers where siver and blue-haired ladies were
standing in long lines with heirlooms in hand.
 
I still say that the bulk of people cache hunting.. never find anything...
 
From the research I have done, Minton, it seems like most do not. A lot of men have hunted their whole lives out here looking for the James Gang treasure and just died broke, crazy, and miserable.
 
Soldier, It's not the find, its the hunt that makes it worthwhile. If you are looking for an average, 1 in 25 or even 1 find in 50 hunts are good. I would a guess that most treasure hunters don't go for the BIG NAME treasures. they would prefer to look for the large, but lesser known caches. I am researching one right now in my area. It was a well heeled guy from England that came to America bought a large track of land made even more money. Buried his money {no banks at the time in his area} and went on a trip. He died on the trip. His heirs spent 3 generations looking for the casch with no luck. It has been sold off several times since then. The land is still undeveloped according to a sat search. I am going there in the spring to look for it. I have a lot more details on it but will not tell them for obvious reasons.
The important thing is the man lived died and owned property on public record.
The last mention that I have seen of this story was in '72 so I think it is all mine!
- If you go thru life thinking negative you get negative results. Remember the words of James Dean " Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today." That's how he lived and that's how he died. He wasn't afraid to live, and he wasn't afraid to die. He went fast. I have made it thru 73 years that way. I guess I was just luckier than him! Frankleft][/left]
 
I am going to keep doing research, and look into other caches. I just do not want to get entangled with nutjob treasure hunters who may be willing to shoot me for encroaching on "their" claim.
 
TechTH said:
I'm of the opinion that outside of documented sunken ships and perhaps the occasional find arising from military records that little else (of any substantial worth) is actually found.

I've read my share of books and magazines with thousands of tales of lost gold mines, buried outlaw treasure, hidden accumulated wealth, mule trains laden with silver and gold, etc, etc. Just flipping through "Buried treasure you can find" by Robert Marx you get the impression that there is so much to find that we'd hear of discoveries on a regular basis and with the advents in technology they would be increasing.

I don't see that happening. So tell me -- are 99% of what you read just either tall tales or contain such vague geography that it's just as worthless?

TechTH
You really need to do your own independent research then. Start online. Type into Google search engine "treasure found" and see how many "hits" you'll have to look through.<G> I bet that's a better starting point than anything else. (Just for reference, I just did exactly that and got 38,200,000 "hits". That might take you a while to got through, huh?)

Regarding treasure stories: these are leads until research *proves* the 5 W's: who, what, where, when, why. A treasure writer may or more likely may not include everything they have learned from their research: especially if they believe there's a good chance of making a recovery. Heck, if you were a writer, would you do that?

Believe it or not, some "lost" gold mines have apparently been found. You're not likely to find out which ones until you research them.

Regarding outlaw treasure, legally this loot doesn't belong to you, even if you make a recovery. However, you can demand a 20-30% "finder's fee" if the insurance company that legally owns the loot ever steps forward. Of course, they would have to *prove* ownership, as well.

Regarding buried accumulated wealth: if you don't know why some people have done this for whatever reason, there's no point me trying to convince you.

Robert Marx was a pretty good treasure hunter as well as competent researcher in my opinion. His Shipwrecks of the Western Hemisphere is still a classic, and well worth having in your library, if you can find it.

As for "so much to find that we'd hear of discoveries on a regular basis and with the advents in technology they would be increasing", see my first comment on an internet search. You won't hear of it if you don't look for it. If someone has already written about it somewhere, most newspapers/magazines consider that information passe', and will not publish that information again.

I like to think I'm a competent researcher. The question that comes to my mind is whether TechTH has a clue what a researcher does, or even can do with arguably the best treasure finder recently invented: the Internet.
 
:laughing9: Shush Up! :laughing9:
 

Attachments

  • loose lips lose treasure.webp
    loose lips lose treasure.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 426
  • loose lips lose treasure.webp
    loose lips lose treasure.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 433
The secret's already "out there" White Feather.<G>
 
like this --its in dutch -1728
 

Attachments

  • scan0001.webp
    scan0001.webp
    227.5 KB · Views: 414
  • scan0001.webp
    scan0001.webp
    227.5 KB · Views: 409
TechTH said:
I'm of the opinion that outside of documented sunken ships and perhaps the occasional find arising from military records that little else (of any substantial worth) is actually found.

I've read my share of books and magazines with thousands of tales of lost gold mines, buried outlaw treasure, hidden accumulated wealth, mule trains laden with silver and gold, etc, etc. Just flipping through "Buried treasure you can find" by Robert Marx you get the impression that there is so much to find that we'd hear of discoveries on a regular basis and with the advents in technology they would be increasing.

I don't see that happening. So tell me -- are 99% of what you read just either tall tales or contain such vague geography that it's just as worthless?

TechTH

I believe I know the location of 7 million in gold stolen in 1861.hidden in a remote area probably worth over 100 million today.I need a few partners and possibly a ground penetrating radar. I figure one to two days to reach it hand digging.parnell
 
parnell said:
TechTH said:
I'm of the opinion that outside of documented sunken ships and perhaps the occasional find arising from military records that little else (of any substantial worth) is actually found.

I've read my share of books and magazines with thousands of tales of lost gold mines, buried outlaw treasure, hidden accumulated wealth, mule trains laden with silver and gold, etc, etc. Just flipping through "Buried treasure you can find" by Robert Marx you get the impression that there is so much to find that we'd hear of discoveries on a regular basis and with the advents in technology they would be increasing.

I don't see that happening. So tell me -- are 99% of what you read just either tall tales or contain such vague geography that it's just as worthless?

TechTH

I believe I know the location of 7 million in gold stolen in 1861.hidden in a remote area probably worth over 100 million today.I need a few partners and possibly a ground penetrating radar. I figure one to two days to reach it hand digging.parnell

Evidence, please?
 
Parnell. yesterdan at about 7PM you were asking if anyone knew about the 1861 Georgia robbery and at about 8PM you post that you know where the $7M from the 1861 Georgia robbery is . I got to say that was fast work!!
​
 
Frankn, isn't that how they do it on TV? Even with commercials.

Congratulations, Parnell :icon_pirat:
 
Sounds like he is looking for someone to do all the hard work, put up the money, and then he can "get rich quick."

Bollocks.
 
Speaking of tales, caches and TV... tonight at 7 on History Channel, Decoded Confederate Gold episode is on...
 
Not far from where I grew up there was an old man, "J.H." who lived by himself on a small farm. J.H. was a bit different, he didn't believe in cars or electricity, (or evidentally bathing for that matter), but he would drive his tractor to town a few times a week. J.H. was a nice guy but to see his dirty and scruffy appearance and tattered clothes you'd swear he was living in a ditch somewhere. When J.H. died his family, all of them college educated and successful, had knowledge of money that was buried on the property in scattered locations, their eventual search of the property turned up several small stashes totaling about $15,000 face value.

I personally know of another similar event that took place in Georgia, again, the family had always heard stories that their great grandfather had hidden valuables on his farm but it wasn't until the 1990's that someone actually grew curious enough and decided to use modern equipment to look for it. And just like the J.H. story, the family ended up locating about $25,000 worth of silver coins and other valuables.

My point is this, there are real treasure caches out there, but excluding the well documented ship wrecks, "most likely" if they are widely known and freely spoken of then they are probably either untrue or badly distorted. On the other hand, I'm 100% certain that there are a lot of "quiet caches" littering a lot of different landscapes in this country.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom