What's new

Does anyone else here get an emotional attachment to their finds?

richm

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a couple of rare coins and a few good pieces of jewelry, but when the day comes that I find that exceptional piece of jewelry I'm going to be torn between selling it and buying more detecting equipment and keeping it. What do most of you guys do?.Rich
 
If the price is right . anything I find is for sale......Matt
 
I keep all my finds, havent sold one yet, but then again I have never found anything that valuable, except to me of coarse.
 
I once found an old sneaker buried in the sand. I don't know what came over me but I lost my breath and got the chills and began sweating. It took me six months to get over it.

Would that be considered an emotional thing?
 
I've sold many coins and rings over the years when the price was right. However sometime later I would remember a certain ring and look for it in my ring boxes and it is gone. I can't say I was emotionally attached, but I missed it. I used to put lil tags on the things to remind me where I found it, and such. Started to us a computer program, I-Detect, by Minelab, but couldn't keep up with it.
 
We have most of the stuff we have found. We have sold a couple of things, but most things - we still have (even the junk).

Each one seems to have memories of a trip - coins (non-important ones) we save separately, and once in awhile, we will roll them and bring them to the bank. (usually when they get around the $100.00 mark).

B
 
I pretty much have kept all coins except for one, but have sold a lot of relics with almost all being junk finds, or doubles, so it really hasn't had much of an effect on my dug collection. So I'm pretty happy that every penny I've spent in this hobby has been covered (plus some) and I have a good pile of old goodies. Like said above everything has a dollar value but no one would pay what I would need to part with most of my finds. Free money goes fast so I wouldn't advise anyone sell a good find unless they are 100% sure.
 
I get way too attached to my finds.I hunt for indian artifacts and have sold a few high end pieces to pay bills during tough times.I've wanted every piece back and haven't been able to get any of them back yet.Think long and hard before letting a special piece go.I found a piece last year that I've been offered more than what I clear in a year at my job, which pays pretty well.My family and friends think I'm absolutely crazy for not selling it.I have lots of things I could use the money on, but I'm not hurting for money.If I had an emergency come up I would sell it in a heartbeat.As of right now it's staying in my collection because I know I would never be able to afford to buy it back if it ever made it back on the market.
 
I agree with everything John G just said.

We, of course, would never get rid of the arrowheads and pottery and artifacts we have found. (my kids probably will when I'm gone, though ;D).

We also have been offered (on one occasion, only) - quite a bit of money from a museum for a piece we found, but, we wouldn't even consider it.
I don't know about if we were really strapped for cash - since its just Roy and me, I think we'd still keep it (nobody depends on us but us).

B
 
Yep! I still have every coin, ring or otherwise interesting object I have ever found. I keep very good records of my totals, where and when each object was found. I mean that is the whole point of this right? To find something that someone else lost. Finders is always keepers with me. Not in the sense that I wouldn't return something if I knew who it belonged to. I would do that in a heart beat. In the sense that, I have found something that used to belong to somebody but now I found it. There is just so much history in a single coin I don't think I could ever get ride of even one of them.

I may be a little extreme....I realize that...and I'm ok with it. :tongue3:



TG
 
I sold a watch that I knew I would never wear and melted a few small rings. Mostly I'm a jewelry freak and will be attached to most of my finds!!! That diamond has been resized to fit!
 
cntrydncr1 said:
I sold a watch that I knew I would never wear and melted a few small rings. Mostly I'm a jewelry freak and will be attached to most of my finds!!! That diamond has been resized to fit!
Saw that you made the "Best Finds" issue of Eastern and Western treasures!! Congrats :icon_thumleft:
 
My first 10 gold rings I found between 1987 and 1989 I sold at a coin shop in 1989. Wish I still had them. Some of them were very unique. One was a 24K ladies ring with green jade, one other was a mason ring. Also a couple were high school class rings from the 40"s & 60's. You always remember your first gold rings, should never have sold them....
 
Its hard not to get attached to some of the finds, but then i think about what has happened to some freinds of mine after they have passed and seen things they realy enjoyed out by the curb in the trash.
one guy had ran a supermarket for 40 years had coffee cans full of silver and a few gold coins, when he died his wife deposited them in her bank account.
Mike
 
Manorman,

That's the type of thing that happens when you do not mark your finds, or explain to your spouse and/or children what things are and what they could/should be worth. It's important, especially when you are collecting things, to make sure that someone knows what is what - before you die.

You cannot expect someone who doesn't have the same interests to have the same knowledge.

Heck, coin roll hunters look forward to just those kinds of rolls of silver - don't they???

I have journals of everything - every trip, every item that is important - including anything that is worth anything (antiques, etc). We have tags and/or engraved holders for almost everything.

B

B
 
I have found one key date coin and sold it. I have regretted it ever since. It was very worn so I did not get a huge sum of money for it. I should have kept .
 
I have never sold anything. I have given rings to my daughter and mother. I found one awesome old silver ring with a big ruby and gold inlay, I gave that one to my mother. One find that is really special is a 1920 Merc that I found on the day that I first met my (now) wife at a park. I mounted it in a silver bezel and she wears it as a necklace. The only time she has taken it off in years was when she had cancer surgery.
 
I have no emotional attachment to my finds.....it is just another object.....in other words the more you hold on to the more clutter you have.....less clutter the better.....they will all get sold sooner or later when the price is right..... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

db
 
Good question!

What I do is get rid of MOST things - but every once in a while
a good find has a story behind it, so I take those few things and make
a display of it. I was surprised how often people stop and ask me
about the display. Not the valuable items, but the ones that have
a special place in my detecting adventures.
 

Attachments

  • display3s.webp
    display3s.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 172
  • display3s.webp
    display3s.webp
    59.9 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom