What's new

Does anyone know about makers marks on rapiers

bartholomewroberts

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Messages
417
Reaction score
669
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rapier, oddly enough, in a pile of items that was to be thrown into the garbage..Why anyone would do that is beyond me.. however.

It is lightly rusted, not pitted as near as I can tell. I used some very find emery cloth [400 grit] to start to clean it up and discovered what appears to be a makers mark on the ricasso.. Can anyone help me to identify the maker and , hopefully, the time frame that it was made..

Also, what would be the best method to clean the rust from the blade.
 

Attachments

  • 1000011638.webp
    1000011638.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 1000011639.webp
    1000011639.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
Can't help with the makers mark, but I can suggest something for the surface rust. I use Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver. Wear gloves and apply it with a brush or your finger. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wipe clean with a rag. You may have to apply it a couple of times to remove most of the rust. Works great!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom