🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Does anyone know the date to this, as well as how much it may go for?

erburns1116

Mar 18, 2024
IMG_7653.jpeg

Closer to the handle says F. Fenney Sheffield and the blade says something about gold, as well as “Tally Ho”. I’ve been trying to find this exact one on Google, but can’t find one with this inscription on the blade.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

That's nice.

Frederick Fenney was apprenticed in 1813 and became a razor manufacturer in 1822. However, he wasn’t granted the Tally-Ho/Running Fox trademark until 1833 and the rights to it were bought by Charles Thomas Bingham in 1852, after Fenney’s death.

Also the razor says “Gold [medal] at the…” and I would guess follows on with the words “…Great Exhibition”. Fenney had a display of his products at the “Great Exhibition” in London in 1851 (from 1 May to 15 October) at which he won a gold medal.

So, I would say it can be narrowly dated to 1851 or 1852.

I haven’t seen an identical example, but nice Fenney razors can usually be picked up for around $70-$100. I would think the narrow date range and the medal reference means there won’t be many around, and likely pushes up the collector value.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
E

erburns1116

Mar 18, 2024
Welcome to Tnet.

That's nice.

Frederick Fenney was apprenticed in 1813 and became a razor manufacturer in 1822. However, he wasn’t granted the Tally-Ho/Running Fox trademark until 1833 and the rights to it were bought by Charles Thomas Bingham in 1852, after Fenney’s death.

Also the razor says “Gold [medal] at the…” and I would guess follows on with the words “…Great Exhibition”. Fenney had a display of his products at the “Great Exhibition” in London in 1851 (from 1 May to 15 October) at which he won a gold medal.

So, I would say it can be narrowly dated to 1851 or 1852.

I haven’t seen an identical example, but nice Fenney razors can usually be picked up for around $70-$100. I would think the narrow date range and the medal reference means there won’t be many around, and likely pushes up the collector value.
Thank you for the information! We have a lot of antiques at my uncles house and are hoping to post more things to learn some more information about all the cool things he had!

Upvote 1

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
There's an old (2008) Worthpoint entry, which unfortunately does not have an image, that seems to describe this. It indicates the wording is "California" and "Gold at the Diggins Tally Ho."

You'll see the price was $66 then. I would guess a couple hundred or so if you offered it today...? You might want to check with Heritage Auctions. They sold a Zachary Taylor-themed razor by Fenney for $388 in 2008.

Attachments

• californiagold.jpg
    californiagold.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 3

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one! There are probably collectors who would give you a fair price for that piece. Polish it up and send more pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread