Does anyone know what this "nugget" is?

Mar 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70
Does anyone know what this "nugget" is?

I just purchased a new X-Terra 70. On my second day out I got a reading around 24-28. I dug it and found the nugget of some sort you can see in these pictures. After digging it up I threw it on the ground and it gave a solid 30 on my meter reading. It feels heavy for its size and weighs .5 ounces. It is about the size of a quarter. It looks and feels sort of like "pig iron" if some of you know what that is, but I'm not sure where pig iron would measure on my ID scale. I even thought it might be silver or something. Please let me know if you have an idea of what it might be.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 457
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 456
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 428
D

dugupfinds

Re: Does anyone know what this "nugget" is?

Just notice your new. Welcome to Tnet from the UK.

100% sure its lead or lead-alloy slag.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BeyondSundayMorning
Mar 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70

Thanks for the info. I am definitely new. This is my first detector and only my second day hunting. What are a few things I might do to ID something like this (Check weight compared to size, see if it is attracted to a magnet, etc.)? It is not attracted to a magnet. Should I try to cut into things like this to see what they look like on the inside?

Although it is lead, it was a really cool find for my two young sons! We will keep detecting.

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

BeyondSundayMorning said:
Thanks for the info. I am definitely new. This is my first detector and only my second day hunting. What are a few things I might do to ID something like this (Check weight compared to size, see if it is attracted to a magnet, etc.)? It is not attracted to a magnet. Should I try to cut into things like this to see what they look like on the inside?

Although it is lead, it was a really cool find for my two young sons! We will keep detecting.

There's people on here that can explain the magnet theories, I don't bother as I draw on my experience. As you find more stuff you will pick it up & just 'know'. Generally Lead is heavy for its size & oxidising white over time. The older it is the whiter it goes. You can cut things to bring out the true metal however only do this to worthless items. If you cut the pictured it will look a bright/shiny silver colour

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BeyondSundayMorning
Mar 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70

What would it have looked like on the outside if it had been a silver nugget? Would it have looked shiny silver inside if I have cut into it as well?

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

What would it have looked like on the outside if it had been a silver nugget? Would it have looked shiny silver inside if I have cut into it as well?

Silver tarnishs a black colour, which you can rub off in your hand with your spit. Thats my trick. No need to cut it. If you don't like the spit test you buy a cheap silver testing kit.

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Heres a Viking silver nugget.

Attachments

• back of lump of silver (2).jpg
    back of lump of silver (2).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BSM,
Did you by chance dig that up on a farm property? I have digging up a bunch of those lead pieces at two farm properties I have been searching.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

If you scrape it or cut it the lead will shine like brand new... very silver(ish).

Like a tire weight or large fishing sinker...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BeyondSundayMorning
Mar 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70

Yes,

I dug it up in my backyard which is in a farming community and has been farmed for years. Any idea why these are there? Also, if the lead is silvery when cut into, is real silver silvery if you cut into it like lead?

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those farmers sure liked their lead. I've heard it was used for everything from mending gutters, to pouring it into toy molds. I find a lot of lead pieces that covered nail heads too. Why? I have no clue?
I have also found large stones covered with a layer of metal. Why? I have no clue?
Any lead heads out there know what these farmers used all that lead for?
-MM-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BeyondSundayMorning
Mar 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70

This piece registered a good solid 30 on my machine when out of the ground (24-28 in ground). Does that mean any future lead items will register right around 30 in the future. Just wondering as I will be searching my yard a lot.

Is there anywhere I might find a chart that would tell me what values on my detector relate to which metals. I have the X-Terra 70. Also, are the values for each metal the same on all detectors?

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

This piece registered a good solid 30 on my machine when out of the ground (24-28 in ground). Does that mean any future lead items will register right around 30 in the future. Just wondering as I will be searching my yard a lot.

Is there anywhere I might find a chart that would tell me what values on my detector relate to which metals. I have the X-Terra 70. Also, are the values for each metal the same on all detectors?

Lead has the lowest melting point & is easy to work with. The Roman used it alot over here & therefore its been in use for over 2000 years. I find tons of it in ploughed fields.

(this is my opinion, choose a style which suits you!)
I would ignore what the numbers say they are very variable. It changes - based on size, depth, ground conditions & metal purity. Although it does give you a clue.

When you start out your better keeping the sensitivity high & discrimination low. Dig everything & listern to the sound it makes. Look at the reading if you want (I never do). I know what metal, size, depth, and sometimes which coin it is or button based purely on its sound. (still get it wrong sometimes, abit like guessing what type of fish you have hooked before you see it)

Remember the sounds & one day everything will become clear.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes,

I dug it up in my backyard which is in a farming community and has been farmed for years. Any idea why these are there? Also, if the lead is silvery when cut into, is real silver silvery if you cut into it like lead?

Yep. "New" lead is as shiney as silver. I cast lead bullets and for the first week they are shiney and gorgeous. Then they inevitably oxidize into grey and eventually white coating it carries "in nature".

I lived in a house old enough to still have some lead pipe used in the plumbing (not for the "IN" lines for the drinking water, happily). It is a handy metal; as are zinc and tin. The three are mixed into alloys with all kinds of farming uses. Solder, sealers, tank repairs, etc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread