Does anyone remember this story ?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Then after all that digging he realized there was a piece of metal stuck in his coil cover lol. I do get the point your making though. Ill go detecting snd alot of the funis whats in the next target is very exciting and if you dont have that this hobby would not be as fun. Reality tells ya its most likely junk or a pop top or bling but the more you imagine a great find the better it is.

Wife keeps husband busy and out of the house when she tapes coin to coil.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, here is an earlier version of the same type of story but in a 1958 film "God's Little Acre".

Ty Ty Walden (Robert Ryan) is a Georgia farmer obsessed with finding a fortune in gold that is rumored to be buried on his farm. The quest for riches is completely disrupting the lives of his family, including his three sons: jealous Buck (Jack Lord), who believes his wife, Griselda, still loves Will (Aldo Ray), who is married to Ty Ty's daughter, Rosamund (Helen Westcott) ; Shaw (Vic Morrow), who is single; and wealthy and estranged son Jim (Lance Fuller), who has moved away.

not a very good film, but some good actors: Robert Ryan, Aldo Ray, Buddy Hackett, Vic Morrow, Michael Landon, Tina Louise.

but kind of funny at 39:48 minutes when he gets a deviner to help him. I think that was Michael Landon. And the hot chick breathing heavy in the thin dress after the divining chase was not bad.

If you guys up north that are snowbound and nothing to do, watch this movie.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Story on General Discussion: 9 tons of gold and silver fall from a plane in Russia

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Then after all that digging he realized there was a piece of metal stuck in his coil cover lol. I do get the point your making though. Ill go detecting snd alot of the funis whats in the next target is very exciting and if you dont have that this hobby would not be as fun. Reality tells ya its most likely junk or a pop top or bling but the more you imagine a great find the better it is.

More times than I care to admit, I failed to clean the black sand out of my coil cover and ended up rage quiting... Lol...
From the falsing signals.

Yeah, admit it!
It has happened to you too lol

BC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was some dude who bought either some sort of strange detector ( maybe it was an LRL ? I forget).

It was a TM808. A while back there were some threads started by sea.thunter7 where he had dug 79 feet and, just like with Henry Mora, the TM808 was still singing. I quoted the Mora story and said that he had beat Mora for the deepest '808 ghost hole yet. Both are examples of not understanding how to use an '808.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a TM808. A while back there were some threads started by sea.thunter7 where he had dug 79 feet and, just like with Henry Mora, the TM808 was still singing. I quoted the Mora story and said that he had beat Mora for the deepest '808 ghost hole yet. Both are examples of not understanding how to use an '808.

Thanks Carl. I searched for what detector he was using but the forum posts from different places got muddled with added "facts". This thread even has pictures of his dig. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/geophysics/42589-whites-tm-808-a.html

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 808 when assisting in ordinance removal for private property owners that owned lands that were once a base with testing areas...

Not only is it a tricky picky finicky odd ball detector... but you wanna talk about arm fatigue.

Personally I did not find it to be a help or practical detector and would not recommend it for anything other than a one off run on an already cleared area.

Prior to assist I purchased 2 new detectors specifically to be used for this... Tm808 and Minelab Sov... "new tools" for this task...

Both were used extensively... Tm808 was abandoned within 2 weeks of pain and frustration.

Sov held out but became loner tool... and after clearing days was also sold.

After being frustrated with both... I developed a pack back harness for my pulse 8 box.

At that point... hammered down and cleared everything that remained.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... I searched for what detector he was using but the forum posts from different places got muddled with added "facts". This thread even has pictures of his dig. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/geophysics/42589-whites-tm-808-a.html

Darke, you are an excellent internet/web detective. Good job sleuthing. That may have been the original post I read, about that subject. And old stories like that (where the "mistaken" outcome is something we can all agree on) is good for a reality-check lessons going forward.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I used a 808 when assisting in ordinance removal for private property owners .....

It's a good choice if you have the following two prerequisites as "givens" :

a) That the type stuff you are looking for is soda-can sized or larger.

b) That you don't wish to be bothered with anything smaller.

So it all depends on the size "ordinance" those folks needed checked for. If it meant the need to include live-round bullets, then the 808 isn't gonna help. In that case, use a standard detector (the Sov, for instance) and simply dig both large AND small.

But for occasions where your stated goal is just the big objects, then the 808's ability to simply not-even-see the smaller objects, becomes a BIG plus. Because then you're not perpetually bedeviled by having to discern large vs small.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darke, you are an excellent internet/web detective. Good job sleuthing. That may have been the original post I read, about that subject. And old stories like that (where the "mistaken" outcome is something we can all agree on) is good for a reality-check lessons going forward.

Easier than skip tracing any day.8-) Although LexisNexis did make that much easier too.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And actually, as the guy began to get flack from the city for supposed code violations (ie.: told to stop), he *SHOULD* have recognized that, for exactly what it was: ALL THE MORE PROOF of treasure.

Because, ... certainly .... that would be because they must *know* of the treasure. Eh ? So they are trying shut him down, so-as-to keep it hidden, get it for themselves, etc....

And In the intervening nights, before being forced to fill it in, I wonder if there was any suspicious activity . People seen there during the night ? If he could substantiate that too, then he'd have even more pieces of the puzzle to confirm treasure.
No, there was treasure in that hole!!!! Fees, fines, charges for a soil engineer to sit & watch it being re-filled, cones & signs for traffic control, and a couple barricades for the sidewalk which I'm sure he got billed for. And let's hope he didn't scratch or chip the sidewalk. That'll be $1000 for a shovelful of ready mix. So, yeah there was treasure in the hole so to speak & the city got it all!!! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA,

The story really begins a century from now when someone stumbles onto the indent (from the ground settling) and notices an outline.
Links this to local lost treasure lore, rents the latest GPR, and BINGO, this had been dug before...!
Starts digging, finds century old artifacts, keeps digging...

Your Bud Aurum

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Picture...Is Worth...A Thousand Words!

Metal Detecting.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread