DOES ANYONE SPECIALIZE IN FINDING THE BIG CW SHELLS.....OR CANNONBALLS....

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....I am with a group that is searching for a Lost Battlefield....to more or less pinpoint the site we are looking for the large debri such as the large cannonballs and iron debri from the carts and wagons ...the biggest problem is that the location is in Sugar White Sand ,....where a lot of stuff just sinks out of sight....just walking thru the property...one will sink down to their ankels.....the group has only found a handful of minnie balls and maybe 3 or so CannonBalls...we had some CW Military experts tell us that the actual site should contain at least 20,000 rounds of Minnie balls ...not including all of the Cannonballs....any comments would be appreciated....most of the detectors used are only sporting the STD coil which might be part of the problem...I intend on using the largest coil available to me....which means at least the 12 inch coil or bigger.....I would appreciate any comments......Joe

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Don't know if this helps, but in 06 or 07, the travel channel had a show on called cash and treasure. On one show, I think it was thunder eggs episode, they showed someone with a home made search coil, that was pulled behind an atv, and was used to find meteorites. It would pick up targets 6-8 feet deep if I remember right. I know they had to use a back hoe to retrieve the target. Can't find a vid link, due to the dial up connection.
Again, I hope this helps a little.

Best of luck,
Bill

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bsloan, your right, It was one of the first meteorite recovery shows, They had made the coil outta pvc. I can't remember what kind of detector they were using....HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread