cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an aluminum can instead.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have, and hadn't much success with it. For my last trick, I got fed up with the process, and decided to vigorously rub a hot paste of baking soda and lemon juice between my finger and thumb. Now I have a shiney crap coin.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the process the "land" guys use on their tarnished coin with the foil process - did not touch the crust on half i just found
will have to use electrolysis eventually

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works best on tarnish. Heavy sulphide jackets require other methods. After the sulphide crust is removed then try the foil method.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good success with using the foil method on solid black colored silver coins. It seems like baking powder with the right about of salt using the dull side of the foil works best. You know it is working good when the coin is bubbling and smell of rotten eggs. When its right the foil will be blacked. I normally keep the water boiling on the stove to repeat the process quickly. Between it process I rub it with baking powder loosing what I can before adding a new batch of salt, and powder.

I used both baking soda and baking powder. Not sure which one works best, seems to work with both. But sometimes it does seem to work better. You can smell and see it working. I think the success is a combination of things. Even adjusting the foil to have the most contact with coin.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to do the route of electrolysis.. and baking soda .. now I find so much silver I like the fast method .. crunch off the cookie and hit it with a nice wire brush on the drill.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE BEEN MEANING TO ASK YOU THAT - ALOT OF YOURS COME OUT SO THIN AND YOU CLEAN SO QUICK AFTER HUNT - I HAD A FEELING YOU WERE HITTING THEM WITH A DREMEL TOOL OR SOMETHING -
SOME CRACK WITH EASE - SOME DONT - ONE I JUST FOUND MIGHT BE A SEATED OR PROB A BARBER - EVEN THOUGH NOT GONNA BE WORTH ANYMORE EITHER WAY - DID NOT WANT TO END UP WITH A SILVER RAZOR - WILL WAIT AND DO ELECTRO ON IT EVENTUALLY

I use to do the route of electrolysis.. and baking soda .. now I find so much silver I like the fast method .. crunch off the cookie and hit it with a nice wire brush on the drill.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is something I tried on the very few crusty silver coins we find down here in Florida. I was making coin rings and was annealing some silver coins and thought I'd try heating the "black cookie coin" with the propane torch. After heating it I dropped it into some water and the cookie came right off. Only tried it once or twice and seemed to work pretty good. Might be worth a try.....like I said I don't find enough down here on these re-nourished beaches to refine the process .
Cliff

Mikeguard01

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some success freezing them in water first to knock the cookie off.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
IVE BEEN MEANING TO ASK YOU THAT - ALOT OF YOURS COME OUT SO THIN AND YOU CLEAN SO QUICK AFTER HUNT - I HAD A FEELING YOU WERE HITTING THEM WITH A DREMEL TOOL OR SOMETHING -
SOME CRACK WITH EASE - SOME DONT - ONE I JUST FOUND MIGHT BE A SEATED OR PROB A BARBER - EVEN THOUGH NOT GONNA BE WORTH ANYMORE EITHER WAY - DID NOT WANT TO END UP WITH A SILVER RAZOR - WILL WAIT AND DO ELECTRO ON IT EVENTUALLY

Really the wire brush removes almost nothing.......... but the tarnish or black ............but it does leave a few marks. The silver that is thin like a razor comes out of the water like that, most of the time you can tell once you have taken the cookie off...here are a couple of thin dimes..with the cookie removed and not really worth cleaning.

OBN0355.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions